Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your ankles look just a bit high on the back side of your stroke. Any chance of posting a HD video? Pedal stroke analysis is probably best done in person. Also do 4 angles of shots from all your ordinal positions; front, back, left and right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One think I can tell you is one of the same things I notice with myself when I am riding and not focusing on pulling through the dead zone is if you listen you can hear the wizz pause wizz pause wizz when you're pedaling through your power zones with each foot followed by a dead spot. Try to focus on pulling your foot back through the dead spot. It should help smooth out your cadence and improve efficiency.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Almost lost it on the tops for a second, hehe. Anyway... Heels down. It'll help with what ctoestreich and jtw1n recommend.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Your pedaling looks fine. I would suggest focusing on your form during high intensity, that's when things tend to fall apart and you'll see where weaknesses that affect your stroke are e.g. weak hip flexors

·
Registered
429 Posts
I pedal with ankles high on the backstroke and have no problems - everyone will pedal a little differently, just like we all walk a little differently.

Your seat may be just a teeny tiny tad low. It might be worth raising it 3-5 mm and see how it feels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the tips :) . I will try to make some of these adjustments and see how things feel.

·
Registered
429 Posts
ilpirati said:
To improve your overall pedal stroke and smooth out those dead spots try to do single leg pedaling drills
I think everybody's rougher on the trainer/rollers than on the road. I know I am. My pedal stroke on the stationary makes me wince when I watch it, but on the road I smooth right out.

But single leg drills will improve your pedal stroke no matter how good it is.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Going 'round

ilpirati said:
To improve your overall pedal stroke and smooth out those dead spots try to do single leg pedaling drills
Another relatively easy drill is to "think circles" while pedaling. If you concentrate on smooth application of power around as much of the pedal stroke as possible, you can instantly feel a smoother style and less effort. If you do it often, you will build it into your muscle memory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts