Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring I have spent a lot of time working on my climbing. There is plenty of room for improvement in every aspect of my riding. I just picked climbing. My biggest gains have not been increased strength or wind, but in climbing technique. I’m starting to find a comfortable balance alternating in and out of the saddle without blowing myself up.

A couple of other techniques I’ve been working on are:
Staying aero as much as I can – duh
Riding in a straight line - double duh
And carrying my weight on my outside pedal on turns

Employing these techniques have cut not only time but also distance off of my weekday training loop.
Got any other technique suggestions?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
No other "technique" suggestions here

You're doing the right thing working on alternating sitting and standing. Concentrate a little on gear selection, finding the best mix of cadences for the different climbing positions.

Aero don't matter much when climbing, unless you happen to have a headwind. If a more aero position interferes with breathing or power generation, it's better to be less aero. The bit about weight placement on turns -- that's a descending thing, right? Uphill, you should be pedaling all the time, so it doesn't come up.

There's not that much technique involved in climbing, beyond finding cadences and positions that are efficient for you and don't hurt. Climbing is about power-to-weight ratio. I suspect you're wrong about where your gains are coming from -- it probably really is strength and cardiovascular efficiency.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
immerle said:
A couple of other techniques I’ve been working on are:
Staying aero as much as I can – duh
Riding in a straight line - double duh
And carrying my weight on my outside pedal on turns
Above techniques not used on climbs, but general riding.

Looking for other general riding technique riding suggestions.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
immerle said:
Above techniques not used on climbs, but general riding.

Looking for other general riding technique riding suggestions.
Oh, I misunderstood you. I'll let others chime in.

· Registered
274 Posts
My 2 cents: too many riders climb while in their big chainring and lowest rear gear: what's up with that? What's so macho about the big chainring?

I suggest practicing good spinning technique on the uphills at a higher cadence, pulling up as well as down on the pedals and concentrating on smooth pedaling through the full rotation.

· Registered
577 Posts
Make sure you do a variety of hills. Dont just practice on 1 or 2. You have to find a rhythm (cadence, gear, position) to match what you are up against.

Ive found that climbing hills is also the best time to work on the round stroke like Bill has stated. Find a nice long one with an even grade and practice the lifting up. Some like to think of it as lifting thier heel up the seat tube. Lemond like to think of it as pushing the knee to the handlebars. Either way its hard to do at first. You have to remember to do it until it becomes natural and I dont think it will ever be a "perfect" circle as far as power distribution goes. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Plenty of resources here.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
look ahead of you. Up around switchbacks especially.
don't stare at your front tire, it's not going anywhere.

relax your upper body, your legs should be doing the work. If your arms and shoulders are tense you're wasting engergy on the wrong muscles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.