Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They should play this video in every driver's ed class in America. (Not gory) The violence of this wreck is just amazing. The fact that the kid survived is a small miracle.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Not to get preachy about video games ( and know the above was meant as a joke) but I sometimes wonder if the people I see driving like that think they are in some sort of video game. Or movie.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
"mother of all single car accidents"

not. even. close.

sadly.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I like the part where they talk about how dangerous the road can be. I think the danger was when he left the road.

Bet he's driving as soon as he's released from the hospital.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

not. even. close.

sadly.
^^^^this^^^^

(Five years a paramedic).

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
That should buff right out...

They drivers ed class would be better off showing a multiple fatality, like they did when I took drivers ed a few decades ago.

I don't know how paramedics can go to scene after scene, year after year and see the carnage they do.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

not. even. close.

sadly.
Driving laws need to be way stiffer, and it should be way, way harder to get a license. Sh!t like this is absolutely unacceptable. I'm happy the driver survived, but I hope he never gets behind the wheel of a car again.

It's amazing the idiotic things people pull. When I first got my license, I pulled a few dumb stunts, sure, but that doesn't mean it was OK. We're way, way too lenient on stupid drivers.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
This past weekend a friend of a friend killed another friend of a friend while driving drunk and trying to overtake a semi truck on a cork screw like freeway transition. Killed the girl in the passenger seat with minor injuries to him and another girl in the car. They were all under 25. Hello manslaughter and felony DUI.

joe

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I amazes me the number of friends my kids lose every year to driving accidents. Whether alcohol or just stupidity is the cause it says something about the youth today. I meas we used to race Mulholland in the 70's and there was a crash here and there but not the amount of death we are seeing these days. It saddens me that this is the generation I am counting on as I get older!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Henry Porter said:
Bet he's driving as soon as he's released from the hospital.
Not only that, the video (and ensuing publicity) is going to make him a rock star.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Hello manslaughter and felony DUI.
See, this is my problem. HTF is this manslaughter? It should Murder 2 or even Murder 1, since he knew he was drinking when he got behind the wheel.

·
but thinking about it
1,434 Posts
theBreeze said:
Not to get preachy about video games ( and know the above was meant as a joke) but I sometimes wonder if the people I see driving like that think they are in some sort of video game. Or movie.
I have caught myself driving too aggressively on my way home from crits (maybe I should describe it as "efficiently" rather than aggressively, since the drafting must improve fuel economy), so I wouldn't be surprised if driving games have some effect.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
See, this is my problem. HTF is this manslaughter? It should Murder 2 or even Murder 1, since he knew he was drinking when he got behind the wheel.

According to Find Law, Murder 2 is:

1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

Drunk driving I'd think could fall under #2, especially if they're racing around the highway.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
But it also says this under involuntary manslaughter:

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, or from an unlawful act that is a misdemeanor or low-level felony (such as DUI). The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.

ps: I play a lawyer on the internets. My hours and hours of law and order coupled with Find law pretty much makes me an expert. hth

joe

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Gregory Taylor said:
They should play this video in every driver's ed class in America. ...
Cars are fun!

BTW you should recognize this spot.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts