Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
foggypeake said:
About how long will teflon tape last? My bottom bracket was installed with it and I'm starting to fear the worst.
Thank you.
WTF ?!

Teflon tape is a thread sealant, intended to keep liquids or gasses from leaking past a tapered pipe thread connection.

Keeping threads from seizing or galling is best done with anti-seize compund, or if lightly torqued, grease.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
tom_h said:
WTF ?!

Teflon tape is a thread sealant, intended to keep liquids or gasses from leaking past a tapered pipe thread connection.

Keeping threads from seizing or galling is best done with anti-seize compund, or if lightly torqued, grease.
Teflon tape is great for silencing a noisy BB

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... yeah, telfon (plumber's) tape is fairly standard for BB installations... but it can degrade a bit over (a lot) time.

However, if you're hearing/sensing probs with your BB, it's most likely loosening (or some other prob) as opposed to said degradation. You'll note that often, when removing a BB that was installed with the tape that the tape seems somewhat disintegrated... but this just means it was doing it's job.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
If you are using teflon tape on a bb in an aluminum frame. Do not torque to the full torque spec! The teflon tape is so slick, it lies to the torque wrench and you may end up pulling the threads out of your frame. I know this by experience, learn from mine! Please!

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Lord...

Grease. Period. Plumber's tape? Marine grease? Toward what end? I can't fathom how 'degrading' is causing a problem in any event. Is the damn thing on tight?

BikeGeek said:
Also make sure to wrap in the direction of the threading otherwise it unwraps as you thread the cups in and you get to do it over untill done correctly. Teflon tape plus marine grease the best bb combo ever.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
OES said:
Grease. Period. Plumber's tape? Marine grease? Toward what end? I can't fathom how 'degrading' is causing a problem in any event. Is the damn thing on tight?
Geez man, face it....Teflon tape works....

Back in MTB'n days I had BB's that would not shut-up no matter how much grease and torque was used....Put some teflon tape in and torqued it down...BANG! silent BB....

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Teflon tape works very well, and when you unthread the pedal, or bbcup, of course it's beat up. It's been threaded in, and unthreaded. which kinda pulls it apart.
there's absolutly nothing wrong with using teflon, and in my opinion, it seems more evenly distributed than grease

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.