Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't ever seem to get my bike to stop creaking in both the handlebar and seat stem. I was thinking I could put some teflon tape around the contact area on the seat stem. Is that kosher? I took the entire seat stem off today and it looked fine except for some scratches from where the metal scratched a little into the carbon fiber plastic. After doing so it slowed the noise but didn't stop it. Help. The handlebars are a different story.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Scratches in the "carbon fiber plastic" don't sound any better than creaking noises.

thpeyton said:
I can't ever seem to get my bike to stop creaking in both the handlebar and seat stem. I was thinking I could put some teflon tape around the contact area on the seat stem. Is that kosher? I took the entire seat stem off today and it looked fine except for some scratches from where the metal scratched a little into the carbon fiber plastic. After doing so it slowed the noise but didn't stop it. Help. The handlebars are a different story.
Do you use a torque wrench when you tighten the screws on that? If not, I'd suggest tossing the seatpost. CF doesn't like over-torqueing and scratches that are only just more than superficial. By the way, I don't think PTFE tape would fit between seatpost and frame.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Noise source

thpeyton said:
How do you know that it is either the bar/stem or the seat post? It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals), your seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), your bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), the nuts on threaded Presta valve stems (throw the nut away), reed switches in computer pickups, the front derailleur cable hitting the crank, and your wheels (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, check for loose metal bits or spoke nipples in the body of the rim). Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the comprehensive help

Kerry Irons said:
How do you know that it is either the bar/stem or the seat post? It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals), your seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), your bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), the nuts on threaded Presta valve stems (throw the nut away), reed switches in computer pickups, the front derailleur cable hitting the crank, and your wheels (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, check for loose metal bits or spoke nipples in the body of the rim). Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.
Thank you for the comprehensive help
Sounds like I need to do all of this anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You have an allez elite? For stem usually just a good greasing of all the bolts stops noise there. The seatpost noise may be the clamp mechanism itself. On my Allez when the clamp was tightened it actually started to rise up off the seattube. A new clamp did the trick. Loosen your clamp, press it down snug onto the frame then watch it when you tighten it up. If it starts to move up as you tighten then you found your noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.