Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Tektro mini-v brakes (926AL) and cannot mount them properly on my fork, the brake is against the fork next to the brake pad slot and will not operate. Any solutions to this or am I S.O.L.?

thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not sure what you're describing...do you mean the arms aren't opening up wide enough for the spring to provide any tension? Try using the other spring mounting hole on your fork. If that doesn't work, bend the springs inward until they provide enough force to bring the arms back out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual brake is hitting the fork not allowing it to open. not sure if there is a washer or something to fix the problem?

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
tekkamaki said:
The actual brake is hitting the fork not allowing it to open. not sure if there is a washer or something to fix the problem?
Space out the brake studs with some washers...I've had to do this with that exact brake or you can get some brake studs that space the brakes out farther, this is what I ended using on my race bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I shortened my pads to get them to clear the tire for wheel removal. I've had to do this on all the brakes I've had on my fork (Alan straight bladed). Right now I have a mini-v on the front. I took the MTB style pad holder and cut it down significantly and thinned/ rounded the back surface and corner to get more clearance. I drilled new holes in the pad holders for the cotter pin. I cut the pad inserts down with a knife and groove them for the cotter pin with a knife as well.

Make sure you have good clearance for removing/ installing your wheel and have some sort of cotter pin retention system or you will loose brake pads at the most inopportune times. Pushing/ forcing the tire through the brakes can dislodge the pad (but not enought for you to notice) and you'll find yourself without front brakes a few minutes later....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts