Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's baaaaack! It's not about handlebars this time, now it's brakes. I want to put long reach brakes on my bike. (Terry Classic, currently has a flat bar, will be switching to a Nitto Noodle bar) At first I thought I was limited to Shimano, but I see Tektro makes some too.

Tektro

Shimano

The only thing I've found against Tektro so far is some people hate the pads. Any comments?

· Registered
356 Posts
On a commuter bike, I had a pair of Tektro long reach brakes with Kool Stop salmon pads, and it was the smoothest, strongest, most controllable braking I've had. Then again, this is mostly in comparison to cross bikes with cantilever brakes (which are notoriously finicky) -- although it still seemed better than the road bikes I've used that had Ultegra and Dura-Ace (9-speed) brakes with the stock Shimano pads

I'm not using them anymore, since I switched to a cross bike for my commuter, to use fatter tires and fenders -- so PM me if you're interested in buying them.

· Registered
777 Posts
Shimano

I think the Shimanos are better enough to justify the extra 20 bucks. When the stock pads are done, switch to Kool-Stop salmons. In 20 years, you won't need better brakes.

It's not that the Tektros are bad brakes, they're not, but the Shimanos are clearly better, and have a track record of durability that the Tektros don't. It's not that much more money.

--Shannon

G

·
I don't usually disagree with Tubee but unless you are immediately replacing the pads on the Shimanos the Tektros are a better brake.

The stock pads on Tektros rate higher in both wet and dry and with Kool Stop pads they are that much better.

Of course, the Shimano calipers with Kool Stop pads are pretty good too. The real answer is the pads.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Initially there won't be much difference in performance, provided that you use the same type of pads. My experience with cheaper calipers is that the pivots get out of whack or just aren't that smooth anymore pretty soon. IMO you'd better get the Shimano calipers and equip them with Koolstops in toe-in adjustable cartridge holders. And get the Dura-Ace cable set for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.