Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dating a classmate for a short time (after scoping him out for the last 7 months) and we have really hit it off. So far he's planned the last two dates and now it's my turn. I'm looking for ideas that won't break the bank. I'm close to Atlanta but would rather not go the downtown/Buckhead route. I don't really like bowling, and considering that we talked non-stop for 5 1/2 hours on our last date, I don't think a movie is gonna cut it. We both like to hike, so that might be an option if the weather cooperates.

I considered the new aquarium, but it's a bit spendy and we're both poor, working college students. Plus, they close at 6pm.

Our first date was casual dinner and we just camped out at the restaurant for about three hours. Second date was a casual dinner, followed by a trip to a cool little bookstore/coffee/tea shop and then we ended up at another artsy little coffee shop after they closed.

So the plan is to go out Thursday afternoon/evening. He works nights, so the date would have to be over by around 8:30 pm or so and wouldn't include any alcohol.

So offer up your stories, suggestions, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I'm not from Atlanta, so I can't give you any detailed places to go.
But how about catching some Live music? any good Jazz or Blues clubs around?
I am not sure how you are planing a hike after 8:30pm?


lets_ride said:
I've been dating a classmate for a short time (after scoping him out for the last 7 months) and we have really hit it off. So far he's planned the last two dates and now it's my turn. I'm looking for ideas that won't break the bank. I'm close to Atlanta but would rather not go the downtown/Buckhead route. I don't really like bowling, and considering that we talked non-stop for 5 1/2 hours on our last date, I don't think a movie is gonna cut it. We both like to hike, so that might be an option if the weather cooperates.

I considered the new aquarium, but it's a bit spendy and we're both poor, working college students. Plus, they close at 6pm.

Our first date was casual dinner and we just camped out at the restaurant for about three hours. Second date was a casual dinner, followed by a trip to a cool little bookstore/coffee/tea shop and then we ended up at another artsy little coffee shop after they closed.

So the plan is to go out Thursday afternoon/evening. He works nights, so the date would have to be over by around 8:30 pm or so and wouldn't include any alcohol.

So offer up your stories, suggestions, etc.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trener1 said:
I am not sure how you are planing a hike after 8:30pm?
No, the date needs to end by 8:30...It will probably start around 3:30 or so. I get off work at 2:30 and he has to be at work at 10pm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Invite him to your place for dinner?

One of my early dates with my wife involved her inviting me to her place for dinner. I arrived early (or she got a late start), so I became involved in the making of the dinner, which included our setting the smoke alarm off (with the food, not other things). The fact that things did not proceed according to plan told each of us a lot about the other.

Given your timeframe (3-8 pm), I would propose that the two of you meet, spend an hour or two shopping for the things you will need to make dinner, then prepare the dinner and eat it. That should take about five hours from beginning to end, give you something to do and allow you the time you need to talk.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkidMarx said:
Errrm..... bike ride?
That would be an obvious choice, but he's not a cyclist. And at 6'4", I don't have a bike he can borrow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Who knows, they could even set off the smoke alarm.

You romantic fool you, who knew lawyers had it in them.....
 

·
Coco Puff
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
An art museum or gallery might be a good choice, along with a snack and or tea/coffeehouse. It lets you walk and talk at the same time while commenting on various stuff.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MarkS said:
One of my early dates with my wife involved her inviting me to her place for dinner. I arrived early (or she got a late start), so I became involved in the making of the dinner, which included our setting the smoke alarm off (with the food, not other things). The fact that things did not proceed according to plan told each of us a lot about the other.

Given your timeframe (3-8 pm), I would propose that the two of you meet, spend an hour or two shopping for the things you will need to make dinner, then prepare the dinner and eat it. That should take about five hours from beginning to end, give you something to do and allow you the time you need to talk.
This is a great idea, but I think we're still a few dates away from dinner at home. I will file this one away for future reference...:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
I'll 3rd the make dinner at your or his place plan. Its relatively inexpensive and gives you plenty of time to talk. A bottle or 2 of wine would also be nice (2 buck Chuck ain't bad for the price). Just don't make blood sausage.....
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
This idea is great......

you can learn much about someone co-selecting a menu, shopping for food and co-preparing the food.

Plus it's all conversation.

Len
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
lets_ride said:
So offer up your stories, suggestions, etc.
best date ever would get moderated so in the 2nd tier of dates, (man that was a long time ago), was a series of long hikes we did often with some wine and cheese. Lots of time to talk and comment on life. Since you've nixed the dinner idea for this date, I'd go the outdoors route unless the weather sucks, then I'd do the art house thing.

my .02

/co-made dinner best idea though given the time frame
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
The clean "movie date" one or the funny, dirty one?

Got a couple that worked out extremely well, and neither is very expensive. I went to school about 45 minutes south of San Francisco, and on an early date with a woman I really liked, we went up to the city in winter (45 degrees and drizzle there; no snow), walked around the waterfront in the fog and mist, then holed up in a second-floor coffee place with a big window and talked over cappuccino until they closed at 1 a.m. (this was back when there were like two places in SF where you could get "Italian coffees," and it was supposed to be exotic and romantic). That was more than 30 years ago, and I'm happily married to somebody else, but I still think of it occasionally. Probably cost five bucks including the gas. Cappuccino is no longer novel enough to be the catalyst for something like that, but Atlanta must have similar opportunities.
A year or so later, I lived across the hall from two girls (women in their 50s now; one of them is still a friend). On about my third date with my eventual wife, they said I should bring her home and they'd cook dinner for us and bring it over to my apartment. We went to the beach or something in the afternoon, then came home about 7, which is when they said they'd have everything ready. They'd put a tablecloth on my Salvation Army table, set out candles--it was great.
Then they brought over the food. The menu included "Polish sausage erectus" (sausages standing upright in a casserole of mashed potatoes), "asparagus interruptus" (asparagus spears steamed and served curved into a flaccid curl) and suggestively carved carrot sticks. Dessert was Twinkies, semi-obscenely decorated with pink icing.
My wife-to-be caught onto the motif before I did--I just thought it was bad cooking at first. Must've worked, though, because we've been married for 30 years.
 

·
Motorator
Joined
·
4,166 Posts
Pretend you're in the market to buy a new car and go to auto row and check out/test drive cars you'd never dream of having. It's a little conspiracy that only you two are in on. Funny thing, but that little secret between you two is a seed that can be sowed toward more intimacy later on. As you'll be encountering various levels of sales tactics, it's also a good way to see how well your friend can resist buckling under pressure. And, to show your friend how well you can be.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
MarkS said:
One of my early dates with my wife involved her inviting me to her place for dinner. I arrived early (or she got a late start), so I became involved in the making of the dinner, which included our setting the smoke alarm off (with the food, not other things). The fact that things did not proceed according to plan told each of us a lot about the other.

Given your timeframe (3-8 pm), I would propose that the two of you meet, spend an hour or two shopping for the things you will need to make dinner, then prepare the dinner and eat it. That should take about five hours from beginning to end, give you something to do and allow you the time you need to talk.
That is good stuff Mark. I remember one of the first dates with my wife Anneli and how much we still laugh about it. We were supposed to meet at the uni to catch a movie. I arrived at the designated time, but had the wrong place, rather the wrong floor of the building. Here I am in a pub, waiting for her to show up and watching a hockey game. I called her twice to apologise that maybe I had the wrong night, or wrong location, or something. On my way out, I saw the poster for the movie we were supposed to see, but on the 6th floor. Man, did I run my butt off getting from the 1st to the 6th. I arrived late, and when Anneli saw, she got so excited that she began speaking in Swedish, telling her French and English friends to move over, that "he's here...he's here". Needless to say, they had no idea what the heck she was saying, but they caught the message and moved over. I sat down, kissed her on the cheeck, and smiled and apologised for being late. Later held her hand for the first time during the movie and that was the start of a terrific romance. :)
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
well for me

I'd just spent a month on the North Shores of Oahu and Kauai surfing. Was so broke at the end I was living on mustard sandwiches. Get back to San Diego and girl I'm dating calls me from Japan. She says keep your eyes on your mailbox. A day later a plane ticket arrives, I call her telling her thanks but I'm broke and she says don't worry, I'm bringing you over as my love slave, you're gonna be a kept man.

schweeeeeeet! spent 10 days in Osaka, Nara and Kyoto. She had to work,so she'd give me a wad of money and a map. went to a Sumo Tournament, Baseball Game and various
tourist activities all on her tab. good times,good times
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I'd just spent a month on the North Shores of Oahu and Kauai surfing. Was so broke at the end I was living on mustard sandwiches. Get back to San Diego and girl I'm dating calls me from Japan. She says keep your eyes on your mailbox. A day later a plane ticket arrives, I call her telling her thanks but I'm broke and she says don't worry, I'm bringing you over as my love slave, you're gonna be a kept man.

schweeeeeeet! spent 10 days in Osaka, Nara and Kyoto. She had to work,so she'd give me a wad of money and a map. went to a Sumo Tournament, Baseball Game and various
tourist activities all on her tab. good times,good times
Great stuff ATP, but is SHE your current wife??? If not, what made you switch :)?
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
no she isn't

but I spent a tumultuous on and off with her for many years. She was a VERY lovely but an emotionally unstable fashion model. WAAAAYYYYY too much drama (but like most 'psycho chicks' a she devil in the boudoir) and at some point the drama outweighed the 'bennies' which once again adds to the old adage.

"No matter how hot the girl is, there is some guy somewhere who is sick to death of all her bullsh!t"

In her case, I'm that guy. I'm sure there are a few more by now as well, she was a couple relationships ago.

My first Official Date with my wife was a World Cup Sleepover Party I hosted. we ate and drank and watched soccer matches in our jammies with a large # of friends.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
atpjunkie said:
My first Official Date with my wife was a World Cup Sleepover Party I hosted. we ate and drank and watched soccer matches in our jammies with a large # of friends.
Now THAT is a helluva date! Any plans for a repeat this year? I am trying to figure the logistics (mostly financial) of getting to Cary, NC to see the US play the Reggae Boyz in April.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top