Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a lot of questions like this lately, but I have a hard time following because I'm not well-versed about wheels. I quoted these wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse to go on my tri bike this year:

700C DT Swiss RR1.2 - Ultegra, Dura-Ace or DT 240
Front Hub: Ultegra 6600 24H Radial
Nipple Options: DT Red Alloy
Rear Hub: Ultegra 6600 28H 8/9/10
Rim Options: Black
Spokes Front: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
Spokes Rear Drive Side: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
Spokes Rear Non-Drive Side: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
$323.45

I like that the rims are 30mm deep, because these are going on my tri bike. I have a set of Reynolds Alta Race that are 30mm deep that I like, but I moved them over to my road bike, and don't want to move them back and forth any more. Will the above wheels compare well? I think they're a little heavier, but that's probably not as important for a tri bike. The price is so reasonable I can't wrap my head around it.

My Reynolds have been bomb proof so far (about 2,000 miles on them), and I'm a 195 lb. rider, but the newer version of those Alta Races (the Solitudes) are $450-$500.

I will more than likely be riding these in several sprints and a half-Ironman, but I'll probably rent or borrow some Zipps for Ironman. I will also train on them.

Are the Utlegras junk, and should I consider a DA, or a pricey DT upgrade? Anything else you know of that compares well to either of these wheels, but in the lower end of that price spectrum?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
838 Posts
stainofmind said:
I know there have been a lot of questions like this lately, but I have a hard time following because I'm not well-versed about wheels. I quoted these wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse to go on my tri bike this year:

700C DT Swiss RR1.2 - Ultegra, Dura-Ace or DT 240
Front Hub: Ultegra 6600 24H Radial
Nipple Options: DT Red Alloy
Rear Hub: Ultegra 6600 28H 8/9/10
Rim Options: Black
Spokes Front: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
Spokes Rear Drive Side: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
Spokes Rear Non-Drive Side: DT Comp Black 2.0/1.8
$323.45

I like that the rims are 30mm deep, because these are going on my tri bike. I have a set of Reynolds Alta Race that are 30mm deep that I like, but I moved them over to my road bike, and don't want to move them back and forth any more. Will the above wheels compare well? I think they're a little heavier, but that's probably not as important for a tri bike. The price is so reasonable I can't wrap my head around it.

My Reynolds have been bomb proof so far (about 2,000 miles on them), and I'm a 195 lb. rider, but the newer version of those Alta Races (the Solitudes) are $450-$500.

I will more than likely be riding these in several sprints and a half-Ironman, but I'll probably rent or borrow some Zipps for Ironman. I will also train on them.

Are the Utlegras junk, and should I consider a DA, or a pricey DT upgrade? Anything else you know of that compares well to either of these wheels, but in the lower end of that price spectrum?

There is nothing wrong with that build spec. Ultegra hubs are very reliable and are a great value. The Dt rr1.2 rims are great rims, they are just heavy. I really like building with them because they are very stiff and round. If you wanted to save a little bit of weight you could have revolution spokes put on the front and non drive side. I don't know how much that will add to the price but it will take off about 45 grams.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ligero said:
There is nothing wrong with that build spec. Ultegra hubs are very reliable and are a great value. The Dt rr1.2 rims are great rims, they are just heavy. I really like building with them because they are very stiff and round. If you wanted to save a little bit of weight you could have revolution spokes put on the front and non drive side. I don't know how much that will add to the price but it will take off about 45 grams.
Revolutions all around add $50 to the price. Rear drive side is $30 of that.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
and i don't think you're gonna have a 24 spoke front wheel, at least w/ shimano hubs. dt do them, but not shimano. he prob meant 28/28 for the shimano hubs...which are as other posters have noted great, extremely durable and easily maintained as parts are readily available.

·
Wheel Builder
133 Posts
cxwrench said:
and i don't think you're gonna have a 24 spoke front wheel, at least w/ shimano hubs. dt do them, but not shimano. he prob meant 28/28 for the shimano hubs...which are as other posters have noted great, extremely durable and easily maintained as parts are readily available.
They're 24H, HB6600D (24h). We also stock HB6600C (28h), and of course HB6600B (32h). We do not stock the 36h variant, HB6600A.

Good luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
stainofmind said:

Ultegra is total crap. You could DIE on those when the come apart. Shimano makes TRASH. :D

Seriously, wake up. Most everything Shimano makes is VERY reliable. Some things are heavier, some have more bling. They all work really well.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
cfoster said:
They're 24H, HB6600D (24h). We also stock HB6600C (28h), and of course HB6600B (32h). We do not stock the 36h variant, HB6600A.

Good luck.
dohhhhhh...that they do. my bad...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you ever heard of the Easton Circuits, 27mm deep and only 1650 grams and they are 24/28 spoke and will take all the abuse you can dish out at them. Same price range as above or you can get used ones much cheaper on the web. They are a very good bang for the buck.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Rot Weiss Essen said:
Have you ever heard of the Easton Circuits, 27mm deep and only 1650 grams and they are 24/28 spoke and will take all the abuse you can dish out at them. Same price range as above or you can get used ones much cheaper on the web. They are a very good bang for the buck.
+eleventy

I have an older pair of Velomax circuits that are probably eight years old. They have rolled through K after K without so much as a peep. They're on my commuter bike now, which I treat with a little less love than my other bike, and they still roll true as the day I got 'em.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Circuits are discontinued and replaced by the EA70, which is $500 wheelset. The EA50s are about $350. Also much lighter (1735g) than the build in the OP. They are 30mm deep, which I like.

A lot of props here on these forums, and from a friend who has Neuvations (the Aero3). The Aero4 (1620g) is a little lighter than the 3 (1750g), and I admit I like the bladed spokes, but 27mm depth isn't 30+ (I know it won't make much of a difference - it's more aesthetic to me). I can pick up a set of the 3s for $225 (shipped) or the 4s for $265 (shipped). I think the stickers are pretty ugly though, but I saw a pic here where some removed most of them to much improvement.

Now I'm more confused/torn.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The Circuits/EA70s are a great option, but personally, I would either splurge for the new version or pass on them. I LOVE my Circuits, until just recently. I busted a drive side spoke and frankly the trouble of getting them repaired is a pretty major turn-off, so I'm not sure I would buy them used. I think the OPs build will be much easier to maintain or repair if something breaks. Obviously nearly 400 grams is a significant difference in rotating weight.

I'd seriously look at doing a build with some used Ultegra hubs to some 27 or 30 deep Kinlin rims. That would solve the weight issue and give you the semi-aero depth yo are looking for.

·
Cannondaleman
100 Posts
For what it's worth, I ordered a wheelset from BWW on 11/2/09 and they will be here on the 14th. I paid $300 for Blackset 27 mm rims, the Ultegra 6600 hubs, DT swiss comp spokes laced 32 hole 3 cross both front and back with brass nipples. Sure they will be a little on the heavy side, but for ME and my current BIKE, they should be fine. My bike weighs about 20 lbs and I weight around 190, so weight isn't my top priority at this time. Strength, looks,reliable hubs-not chinese made!,and value for the $$$ is what is important to me.I think that I got this by going with BWW. Not a bad turn around time -12 days and they are hand built by AMERICANS!!!! Just my 2 cents.

·
Cannondaleman
100 Posts
Stainofmind, I recieved my new wheels from BWW yesterday-just 9 days after I placed the order. Very good looking wheels,packaged professionally. They are being installed at my LBS right now and I hope to get a ride in this weekend. 66* on Saturday here in Ohio. I really don't think you could go wrong with Bicycle Wheel warehouse.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Cannondaleman said:
Stainofmind, I recieved my new wheels from BWW yesterday-just 9 days after I placed the order. Very good looking wheels,packaged professionally. They are being installed at my LBS right now and I hope to get a ride in this weekend. 66* on Saturday here in Ohio. I really don't think you could go wrong with Bicycle Wheel warehouse.
Your LBS is installing your wheels? Was the bike in the shop to begin with for other work?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cannondaleman said:

So what happens if you flat 30 miles from your car and no bike shop in sight ??????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts