Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be selling my old bike. I had a stiff link in the chain one of the last times I rode it, and it broke. I repaired it, but I realized that I wasn't really sure how old the chain was and it might be worth changing it before I sell it. That will give me a chance to get everything nice and clean, too.

So, what's a good budget chain? I don't want to spend too much since I'll be selling the bike. It's got 9-speed 105.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Why don't you measure the chain and see if it's really worn? If it's okay, just clean it up. If you do replace it,just look for 9-speed chains on sale. There's not that much difference between them. Nashbar's got one on sale for 15 bucks, and it includes the quick link.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
+1 on leaving the old chain on. Clean it up, and lube it properly, and if it runs well leave it alone.

Replacing a chain that's running OK prior to selling the bike makes no sense. If the chain is fine, it's wasteful, and if it's stretched to or near to the limit, I still wouldn't replace it.

Replacing the chain prior to sale won't add to the value of the bike beyond the actual cost, and might open a can of worms if the cassette is also worn and now also needs replacement.

I'd be up front with the prospective buyer, and let him choose his own replacement when the time comes.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
screamtone said:
The link is for an SRAM chain.

Does this have the SRAM master link? Sorry, I'm pretty new at chain replacement.
Yes, but remember, you'll need the chain tool to 'cut it' to length.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
screamtone said:
The link is for an SRAM chain.
which would be fine, too

screamtone said:
Does this have the SRAM master link? Sorry, I'm pretty new at chain replacement.
yeah, they come with the quick link or whatever they call it... as already mentioned, you'll prob need to shorten it a few links

1 - 9 of 9 Posts