Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't you tell us about some of the great deals that you've found. Whether it was at a garage sale, yard sale, classified adds, gift from an old relative or whatever!

Show us the bike or frame, tell us how you got it and for how much!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
picked up a new Tommasini Tecno in red with a chrome Air fork for $835 delivered. Normally a $2100 frameset. The shop where I bought it from used to be a stocking Tommasini dealer until March of this year when Tommasini the company decided to go direct sales to the customer. My Tommasini is absolutely flawless- not a scratch on it- and pretty light too for a size 58 steel frame.

I also picked up a new floor model Titus FCR frame for my wife for $1500 delivered. It is normally a $3200 + frame. Thought that was a pretty good deal too.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=171141

The way I see it, any time you can get a new or near-new frameset or bike for at least half off of MSRP is an opportunity to snatch it up, even if you don't absolutely need it right now. If you ever plan on getting it down the road, and you pay a lot more for it, you will kick yourself. I have many times!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Purchased in the Serotta Garage, only $1,690 for 2007 lightly used demo Serotta Legend ST SE and F-3 fork. Full factory warranty and eligible for crash protection which I added. Bare titanium like I wanted and just my size. The next cheapest Legend frame with basic paint was $2,300 more expensive. I never got a satisfactory answer why it was listed so cheap but I am not complaining!

At that time a new, custom Serotta Legend frame and F-3 fork had a $5,650 MSRP.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Best deal I've ever jumped on was my Easton EC90 SLX3 handlebars for 50 bucks.

Absolutely ridiculous considering I was gonna drop ~80 bucks on Alu bars anyways...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
dekindy said:
Purchased in the Serotta Garage, only $1,690 for 2007 lightly used demo Serotta Legend ST SE and F-3 fork. Full factory warranty and eligible for crash protection which I added. Bare titanium like I wanted and just my size. The next cheapest Legend frame with basic paint was $2,300 more expensive. I never got a satisfactory answer why it was listed so cheap but I am not complaining!

At that time a new, custom Serotta Legend frame and F-3 fork had a $5,650 MSRP.
!#@#$#$#$!##%$^^%@$##$!!!!! :)

You are one lucky dude!!! Have you thrown up any pics of your Legend? Would love to see the build. What size is your legend? If it is a 55 and you ever get tired of it, and you wanna pass it on to a fellow RBR'r, let me know!!! BTW, I couldn't find the Serotta Garage on their website. I know you said it was closed for the time being but I would have thought the link would still be there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up an '06 Ridley Damocles with a Mix of Ultegra/DA/ with 105 Shifters and Pro-lite Comos for $1350. Not the best deal you'll ever see, but once I upgrade the shifters I'll have a DA/Ultegra Ridley for about $1600. Can't complain about that!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Last Saturday, Mid 90's steel Ciocc with 9 speed Veloce and Proton wheels, all of it basically like new for 400 bucks at the local pawn shop. I'm replacing the carbon fork with chromed steel and a new stem and I'm golden. I know the original owner and I'm betting it has less than 1500 miles on it.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Rocket Box

Picked up a brand new Yakima Rocket Box for $30. Went into the uber sporting goods mega store and saw the box on the shelf with no price listed. Asked how much and the clerk working had know idea since it did not have a bar code. So the manager of the day looked at it, saw it was in the bike section and made of plastic and said $30. SOLD!

By the way, is it really a sporting goods store if they stock the checkout counter with candy for people to purchase as impulse buys when getting their sporting equipment?

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
selle italia flite titanium, the classic one, almost new, in box, for about 130$, offered to me by the owner of one of the LBSs.
I DIDN't buy the saddle. best deal I've ever made :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few weeks ago I picked up a 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse SL Cyclocross frame/fork with Cinelli stem and bars, Shimano brake levers (105), BB and crankset (RX100), Cane Creek front brake, seat and seatpost, and Vetta computer...for $50.

The guy I got it from had set it up as a single speed commuter but had moved on to something else and hung this one up. It's got a few minor paint chips but once I cleaned the dust and grime off it's in great shape. I figure I can unload some of the parts it came with to net out at almost $0 for the frameset!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just finished building a Look 595 that I feel like I put together for a good deal..

Frame 2007 Look 595 Large Craigslist
Group Campagnolo Chorus 2009 Ultra-Torque 11sp TotalCycling
Wheelset Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Wheelset TotalCycling
Tires Continental GP4000S (2) TotalCycling
Tubes Continental Race Light (2) Gotta Ride Bikes
Saddle Selle Italia SLR Team Edition Carbon TotalCycling
Pedals Look Keo Sprint Laneo Pedals TotalCycling
Bars FSA K Force 44cm Anatomic Carbon Craigslist
Tape Deda White Gotta Ride Bikes
Stem Ritchey 4Axis (came with frame) Craigslist

All together it was under $3500.....

Here is a photo from when I was putting it together...

·
What the Hell is going on
5,188 Posts
Goodwill Hunting

I picked up a set of Rolf Satellite wheels (with an XTR cassette and Continental semi slick tires) and a Best of Prince CD at my local Goodwill for $25.00

1 - 20 of 51 Posts