Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I are going to ride from ASU to U of A in early April. Has anyone rode from Phoenix metro to Tucson? I think we are going to ride through Coolidge and down to Oro Valley. I'm guessing 115 miles. If anyone has done this, please let me know. It would be nice to know that I'm not completely insane.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
I Ride Specalized Sally said:
My friend and I are going to ride from ASU to U of A in early April. Has anyone rode from Phoenix metro to Tucson? I think we are going to ride through Coolidge and down to Oro Valley. I'm guessing 115 miles. If anyone has done this, please let me know. It would be nice to know that I'm not completely insane.
I personally have not but it is not an uncommon ride. you might be able to find something here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did a ride from AJ to Oro Valley

I Ride Specalized Sally said:
Did this ride from AJ to Oro Valley a couple of years ago. Started at AJ through Florence then Oro Valley. The traffic was light (then) but the cars were still fast. Sort of zig-zagged from Ironwood onto Hunt Highway then the 79. Some climbing and rolling hills as you get closer to Tucson and the Catalina State Park. Looks like you can get through by way of Ellsworth and Hunt Highway too. The road and traffic is bad though. Mostly flat until the mountains. Not too much shoulder room. From the Coolidge way, not sure where to go from there besides the 10, but it'll be mostly flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made it

Just did the ride last weekend. We went through Chandler and down the 87 to Coolidge, where we stopped for food and water. We then headed out to 79, which has a pretty long climb after the Tom Mix memorial rest stop. Eventually we decended into Catalina, where we again had to stop for water. I was actually completely out of water, I went through about 90 ounces since Coolidge. My roomate decided to stop in Catalina, but I kept going to our friends' house at U of A. It was 117 miles. Good times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ride on the 10?

Did you ride on Interstate 10 or did you by way of the Picacho Highway? How was the traffic on 87 and what about the shoulders? Good job by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The route

I live near Southern and Mill in Tempe. We rode south on College to Guadalupe and took that east to Dobson. We headed south on Dobson and rode that to Frye. We took Frye east 1 mile to Alma School and turned South. Took Alma School until we hit Ocotillo. Headed east on Ocotillo to Arizona Ave, which turns into the 87.

I know it sounds like we pointlessly zig-zagged through the east valley, but this route was best because it was almost all bike lanes. Once we hit Arizona Ave, we headed south out of the city. The 87 is great until about 10 miles from Coolige. At this point we lost our wide shoulder and had to ride in the lane. Traffic wasn't too horrible, but there are a fair amount of trucks and it can get a little hairy.

We took the 87 to Coolige city limits and made a right into town just past the Casa Grande ruins. This was a good place to eat and refill on water. We then headed out of town on Coolige Ave., which turns into a small road with no shoulder. It wasn't bad though, there was virtually no traffic. That road takes you to the 79 about 5 miles south of Florence. Some of the 79 doesn't have much of a shoulder, and there is some traffic, but it wasn't too terrible. You do climb a bit on the 79, but once the climb ends at mile marker 96, it is almost all downhill to Tucson.

The 79 dead-ends at highway 77. We turned south on 77, which will take you right into Tucson.

One word of advice, bring plenty of water. From Coolidge to Catalina there really isn't any place to stop for water. Also, don't do this ride in the summer. It is a cool ride though, and U of A chicks are usually pretty impressed when you told them you rode there from ASU ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing it again...but perhaps maybe when I'm in better shape. The last time I rode, by way of Florence, was kind of tough. It was in the winter and it was cold! I was on my full-suspension mountain bike and my friends were each on a hybrid/comfort bike, lol. They still ride those things too! (they're old). They were in their sweat clothes and were hoping the sun would come out later in the day. Well, it never did. In fact there was a small shower to go along with the gloomy day. To put things short, we made it into Oro Valley and got a ride back. So, I was just comparing road conditions and routes. Again thanks for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts