1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Out of a sample of approximately 200 people, finding 10 that showed something to be abnormal does not strike me as significant.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Nice to see that by getting the UCI out of the TDF, ASO has solved the problem of leaked lab test results.
Well it's known the leak is from the LNDD lab, so getting the UCI out wouldn't solve anything.

But I'm not sure this a leak anyway, rather than an announcement?

Weren't the leaks to L'Equipe not Le Monde?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
one good thing about getting the UCI out is that the LNDD is NOT being used this year. It's the Lausanne Lab, which has a better reputation. Poor Ms. Frelat won't be called on to confirm any more A samples this year....

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
stevesbike said:
one good thing about getting the UCI out is that the LNDD is NOT being used this year. It's the Lausanne Lab, which has a better reputation. Poor Ms. Frelat won't be called on to confirm any more A samples this year....
Why is that? Aren't they both WADA-accredited labs?

The LNDD isn't the UCI's lab, doesn't it do testing for all kinds of sports just like any other lab?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The Lausanne lab will test for HGH, which LNDD is not equipped to do. Testing results will also be faster. And ASO has implemented a true randomization testing method to determine who will be tested. In previous tours, riders knew what place finishers would be tested; if it was decided that the 6th place finisher would be the 'random' tested rider, it was announced before the stage finish so a rider could simply avoid that placing...

I think the bigger picture is that the ASO wants to avoid the possibility of a positive finding going the Landis route with a shoddy lab like LNDD. The Lausanne lab is closer to something like the lab at UCLA--part testing and also part test development with connections to the university at Lausanne. And - basically - the Swiss are just better at technical work than the French...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
stevesbike said:
The Lausanne lab will test for HGH, which LNDD is not equipped to do.
Are they doing all the testing though? Last year Vino was caught out because they sent his samples to Lausanne (I believe, unless there is another Swiss lab) because the LNDD wasn't certified for the blood doping test. On the other hand, LNDD is the EPO test "experts", no?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I just checked. You're right-urine tests will be sent to LNDD, though controls will collect both blood and urine, with blood going to Lausanne. Ms. Frelat will still have some work to do between her cigarette breaks. Is collecting blood at all controls new? My memory is that it has just been urine in the past.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
stevesbike said:
I just checked. You're right-urine tests will be sent to LNDD, though controls will collect both blood and urine, with blood going to Lausanne. Ms. Frelat will still have some work to do between her cigarette breaks. Is collecting blood at all controls new? My memory is that it has just been urine in the past.
I think it use to be blood if the vampires came to your hotel in the AM and then urine if you were called for a post-stage control. Pretty sure they've been mixing it up for a while now. I know there have been calls for "start-line" testing so riders don't exploit that window in the morning, once they know the vampires won't show up until post-stage, to micro-dose EPO, etc. but I'm not sure they've actually done it. They should also be testing them in the evening too, but not sure that is going on at the Tour. I've not read any belly aching like in the past when they have done it at other races.

·
Banned
608 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Nice to see that by getting the UCI out of the TDF, ASO has solved the problem of leaked lab test results.
Yeah. Too bad it was not like the old days when doping could be covered up with a backdated TUE or just simply disappear. Those were the days.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Because The TDF is now run under the French Cycling Federation, don't they have a lot more ability and options for collecting samples of various sorts, including hair and fingernails? Maybe phillipe can fill us in.
They were collecting hair are earlier ASO events this year...I wonder if there will be more bald riders at this years tour? From what I understand they are using the FFC but they also have their own additional controls and rules, like the one hour lock up, the hair, and the targeted testing

·
Banned
608 Posts
bigpinkt said:
They were collecting hair are earlier ASO events this year...I wonder if there will be more bald riders at this years tour? From what I understand they are using the FFC but they also have their own additional controls and rules, like the one hour lock up, the hair, and the targeted testing
Well Schumacher is safe. Maybe this will encourage Leipheimer to switch from the medieval monk look to the Bruce Willis look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.