Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we're just getting into cycling. We did a 55 mile ride and the last few miles we both had to stand up off the seats. My legs are soar, but what made the end of the ride most difficult was the tender skin on my bottom that just feels a bit raw.

Since I'm a newbie I didn't wear any special bike clothes. I wore fitted workout wicking pants that are usually very comfortable on the bicycle. Would padded biker shorts make a difference? Anything else?

My seat is fairly padded, but not too big so my legs don't rub or anything. I ride a hybrid roadbike - Cannondale Quick 4.

I want to do some more long rides and push myself, but ouch! Any advice?

·
Registered
663 Posts
andulong said:
Yes, a good pair of cycling shorts should help, that is what they are designed for. No underwear underneath!
This.

Also, your behind will be sore after the first few rides regardless of what you wear. If the soreness doesn't progressively decrease, you may have a fit issue.

If there is any visible injury (saddle sores), this should not be accepted/tolerated. If you have this issue, get thee some padded shorts asap, and consider using chamois cream on longer rides.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
You just gotta get used to sitting on a bike seat. That's all.

55 miles for one of your first rides is pretty aggressive, though. No wonder your butt is sore.

Proper cycling shorts will help with chafing issues more than soreness. And if you're going to continually do 50+ miles, then you need some. About the only time I don't wear my cycling shorts, is if I'm commuting to work or making a running an errand under 5 miles or so. But for any sort of "serious" cycling, whether for leisure or training, I'll wear cycling shorts (bibs, actually).

Also, if you're going to be continually doing 50+ miles, ditch the hybrid and get a real road bike. While the hybrid may be comfortable for shorter distances, the upright riding position is going to make you work very hard for every mile you do. Your body is catching all the air that you are riding through, slowing you down, making you pedal harder. A properly fit road bike will put your body in a more aerodynamic position, making it easier on you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Everybody else pretty much said it. Get some cycling shorts like these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1008036_-1_1511001_1511000_400020 or these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1071114_-1_1511001_1511000_400020
Most people, including me, find the bibs a lot more comfy. All cycling shorts have an artificial chamois sewn in. They usually have some padding too. When I go on any ride of 20+ I always wear cycling shorts. The shorts are ALWAYS worn without underwear. Underwear has 2 things going against it; it has seams that chafe, and it's made from cotton which when it gets wet, is very uncomfortable and doesn't dry or wick perspiration away.

I always use lube as well. There are dozens from which to choose. My personal favorite is Noxema. When donning my bibs I take a generous scoop of Noxema and smear it all over the chamois/pad. Anything left on my hand goes on me. It feels pretty ummm, unusual when you pull the shorts but that only lasts a couple of moments.

All that said, there a (cough, cough) getting to know you period that everyone goes through. It's called toughening up. 50 miles is a long ride especially if you're not used to it. My suggestion is to take more frequent, shorter rides.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
noxema?? wow!
I recently started using this after reading a recommendation from someone, probably Mr V, here on RBR. I ran out of Chamois Butt'r and, lacking a local source for same, decided to try Noxema. It does give you a brief, cool (as in chilly) tingle. It does make you smell faintly like your grandma's makeup dresser. But it works every bit as well as the far more expensive cycling-specific products.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Dedicated bike shorts would be THE place to start. I remember once doing about 25 miles without 'em when I was a kid. I can't imagine 55 miles. Ouch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay I just have to pipe in here.
I am assuming you are a male YES???
I think it makes a difference.
Being female I could tell you what works for me but I think all the above advice is directed at the male anatomy. Yes??

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
FluffyWhiteDogs said:
Being female I could tell you what works for me but I think all the above advice is directed at the male anatomy. Yes??
Not necessarily, either way. Sure, boxers or briefs can chafe there in many ways, a lot of the advantage of cycling shorts is in the chamois, which can benefit both sexes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts