Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past year, almost the entire riding year i had tendonitis in my right elbow. This past week i was fiddling with a tape measure and my stable of road bikes and discovered that they all seemed to have a different set up. I was setting them up by feel in the past, some measuring, but not strict #'s. What I really noticed is that my newest ride which is a larger frame than the others (all have a relatively same tt length) the reach was longer by about an inch. I am beginning to think the tendonitis is related to having my arms stretched out too far and locking out my elbow which in turn is working against the shock absorbing tendancies of a flexed joint. Bottom line is I am trying to set up all my bikes to fit the same. I am measuring my reach as the distance from the center of the seatpost out to the front of the STI hood.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
What are you doing to treat your tendonitis? I ended up having surgery on both elbows, (one at a time), to repair the damage. I let it go for a long time, & it just wasn't getting better. Tried PT/OT, pills, muscle relaxants, but nothing worked. I found that cycling was quite painful pre surgery, and in my case, sure didn't help things.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a while.....

Mr. Versatile said:
What are you doing to treat your tendonitis? I ended up having surgery on both elbows, (one at a time), to repair the damage. I let it go for a long time, & it just wasn't getting better. Tried PT/OT, pills, muscle relaxants, but nothing worked. I found that cycling was quite painful pre surgery, and in my case, sure didn't help things.
I was wearing one of those bands, sort of a home made job that seemed to help with pain but also felt like it made it weaker. Lots of pain meds, heat, cold treatment, etc. Anything I could think of, got a script for anti inflamatories. Basically just endured the problem. Finally ride season came to an end and the pain went away on it's own. I never linked the problem to riding until, like I said I took some measurements and found out #1 ride was longer reach than all others. I guess I'll find out when the miles ramp up this year if that was creating/contributing to the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts