Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Though I would finally ask this question. I've built about 10 wheelsets over the last 25+ years and still have the same problem.

I use a nipple driver that is about 3mm long "inside the nipple". When I'm done "driving the nipples" before I get into the tensioning/relief stage my tensions are way off, and my wheels are all $#%ed up. I know how to fix the problem and I alway do. BUT what gives with the nipple driver? Anyone have any pointers? I swear I'm gonna stop using this infernal tool. It's a POS...

Thoughts?

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
All that is is a tool to get the nipples on to the spokes in the same spot. If there is variation in spoke length, there will be a problem. I made it a point to file down the driver to make the limit longer. If it is always a problem, solve it by giving it to somebody that you don't like and who always asks for tools.

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curlybike said:
All that is is a tool to get the nipples on to the spokes in the same spot. If there is variation in spoke length, there will be a problem. I made it a point to file down the driver to make the limit longer. If it is always a problem, solve it by giving it to somebody that you don't like and who always asks for tools.
Not to be an a$$, but I do know what a nipple driver is for.

I agree that if the spokes were of differring lenghts then of course the driver would result in my problem. However these last spokes were all of the same length, I measured before using them as I had a bunch of old spokes to get rid of.

I really like the idea of pawning it off on someone else!!! Hummmm...

Any other ideas?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
OldSkoolFatGuy said:
Hello,

Though I would finally ask this question. I've built about 10 wheelsets over the last 25+ years and still have the same problem.

I use a nipple driver that is about 3mm long "inside the nipple". When I'm done "driving the nipples" before I get into the tensioning/relief stage my tensions are way off, and my wheels are all $#%ed up. I know how to fix the problem and I alway do. BUT what gives with the nipple driver? Anyone have any pointers? I swear I'm gonna stop using this infernal tool. It's a POS...

Thoughts?
For my method, not only do the spokes need to be the same length, but also the threads need to be the same.

Once I have all the nipples started, I put my thumbnail in the first thread and then tighten the nipple with the driver until the nipple hits my nail. Do each one this way and they are all nearly identical (or all on one side if it is an offset build).

TF

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TurboTurtle said:
For my method, not only do the spokes need to be the same length, but also the threads need to be the same.

Once I have all the nipples started, I put my thumbnail in the first thread and then tighten the nipple with the driver until the nipple hits my nail. Do each one this way and they are all nearly identical (or all on one side if it is an offset build).

TF
That is truly a great tip! Thank you!!!:thumbsup:

Wow it's so simple...Why didn't I think of that!:mad2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.