Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... we got Mo*****Fakin tent caterpillers takin over the neighborhood ...
didn't see a one Thursday, then BAM!, on Friday they are all over the
place ... and full size too! ...WTF ??? :confused:

and they are squisshy too ...

gonna be fun riding tomorrow ... squish squish squish ... :eek:

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
bonkmiester said:

Seriously, there were a sh!tload of them in the plane the other day....

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bonkmiester said:

When I was a kid my dad would rig up a burning torch on a long pole and burn them out of our trees. Another method was to try to empty the tent into a bucket and then burn them. It sound really cruel doesn't it, hmmm well we love our trees.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
Those things make me queasy - we used to poke them with a stick, then scream and run away. I think I still do that, actually.

G

·
Yup, burn them out.

By mid summer I am doing my impression of Cooper, running around the yard with a pint size flame thrower going after the tent caterpillars.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
They're bad for the trees?

We used to play with 'em when we were kids - I never saw as many as in that first pic, though. But anyway, those little fackers bite.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
bleah!

bonkmiester said:
... gonna be fun riding tomorrow ... squish squish squish ... :eek:
geez, everytime I see something like this it makes me even MORE glad I live in a desert climate.

#1 thing I DO NOT MISS about riding back East? cleaning / chiselling dead worms offa my cables / BB / brake bridges. eugh!

let's see: when the apocalypse comes, there'll be nothing left save roaches, rats, zebra mussels, tent caterpillars, canada geese, mule deer and Colker.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
paint said:
They're bad for the trees?

We used to play with 'em when we were kids - I never saw as many as in that first pic, though. But anyway, those little fackers bite.
Yes, they eat them all gone ....... well the leaves anyway :(

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
let's see: when the apocalypse comes, there'll be nothing left save roaches, rats, zebra mussels, tent caterpillars, canada geese, mule deer and Colker.
I think Old Ed would still be holding the compound guzzling Bourbon and I'm sure the J's will be stalking any of those animals and the zebra mussels in particular.

·
Registered
212 Posts
holy crap!

bonkmiester said:
:eek:
please tell me where you live so I can never ever go there?

girchy dude i'm with you except i'll just scream and run away thanks, screw the poking with sticks part. i guess when you poke them with a stick they all come wriggling out of that tent thingy?

paint thanks for mentioning the part where they bite. now I'm gonna have nightmares.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
weapons grade chaos said:
please tell me where you live so I can never ever go there?

girchy dude i'm with you except i'll just scream and run away thanks, screw the poking with sticks part. i guess when you poke them with a stick they all come wriggling out of that tent thingy?

paint thanks for mentioning the part where they bite. now I'm gonna have nightmares.
Paint's F'n with you dude, they don't bite, (well, at least not nice people).

I used to run over them with my bike, they just kind of explode into a green gooey mass.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
BTW, I've never heard of them referred to as tent caterpillars, just bag worms.

Anybody run into tobacco worms? Mmm, these are tasty. I used to find them in the yard crawling through the grass, about 3" long.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
BTW, I've never heard of them referred to as tent caterpillars, just bag worms.

Anybody run into tobacco worms? Mmm, these are tasty. I used to find them in the yard crawling through the grass, about 3" long.

Tasty? You et one?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
No I aint, either. Maybe they just pinch you, but there's definitely some biteage of some sort. Now, it didn't hurt me that much, maybe enough to sling it offa me, but chaos better watch out. Those bites would probably send him to the hospital.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts