Viatcheslav Ekimov
George Hincapie
Vladimir Gusev
Egoi Martínez
Pavel Padrnos
Yaroslav Popovych
José Luis Rubiera
Paolo Savoldelli

Obviously, Disco's Tour goals have changed with LA's departure.
This is a good lineup, though, I see 2 or 3 potential GC contenders.
Danielson's not even on this list (maybe they're holding him back for 2007).

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
SuperB said:
From Velo News:

José Azevedo
Viatcheslav Ekimov
George Hincapie
Vladimir Gusev
Egoi Martínez
Pavel Padrnos
Yaroslav Popovych
José Luis Rubiera
Paolo Savoldelli

It would take a minor miracle for any of the top Disco names to podium...they have several guys that they can launch to shake things up and possibly break away but it won't be easy. They can hope but the way Basso, Jan and Floyd are riding? Tough. There's always a chance that Basso burns himself out...

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Have these 2 ridden a Grand Tour befoe? Just wondering.. never heard their names.

Vladimir Gusev
Egoi Martínez

SuperB said:
From Velo News:

José Azevedo,Viatcheslav Ekimov,George Hincapie,Vladimir Gusev,Egoi Martínez,
Pavel Padrnos,Yaroslav Popovych,José Luis Rubiera,Paolo Savoldelli

· Registered
450 Posts
SuperB said:
From Velo News:

José Azevedo
Viatcheslav Ekimov
George Hincapie
Vladimir Gusev
Egoi Martínez
Pavel Padrnos
Yaroslav Popovych
José Luis Rubiera
Paolo Savoldelli

Discovery has never planned on the Tour for Danielson. I don't see that changing, especially with Popovych. He's their man for the future in Le Tour. It will be interesting to see how he does in this year's tour. My predicition is that Popo is the highest placed Discovery rider at the end of Le Tour, and I think he's got a Top-5 capabilities, but I think Top-10 is a better bet for him.

· Registered
450 Posts
Vino

chuckice said:
It would take a minor miracle for any of the top Disco names to podium...they have several guys that they can launch to shake things up and possibly break away but it won't be easy. They can hope but the way Basso, Jan and Floyd are riding? Tough. There's always a chance that Basso burns himself out...
Don't forget about Vinokourov. Or even Levi.

· Registered
187 Posts
I seem to remember reading George and Popo were their GC guys. But I can't remember the source either, maybe not credible.

Am I the only one that feels George could be top five if he is protected?

J

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
JGUTZ said:
I seem to remember reading George and Popo were their GC guys. But I can't remember the source either, maybe not credible.

J
I think so too, assuming he can climb like he was doing last year. He is pretty decent at TTs as well.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
JGUTZ said:

J
There was some comment by the OLN broadcast crew today about Lance saying "be ready for some special from George for the tour"..

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see Disco play follow-the-wheels this year.

Popo, Hincapie, and Savoldelli all have a good shot depending upon the massive number of variables.

I know Falco wanted to defend at the Giro this year, but he's losing time to Basso in the TT's, so I'm not sure what the plan is. I can't help but wonder -- based a little on Bruyneel (I think)'s comments about how the Tour will be even better for Savoldelli than the giro -- if he's holding back his form a little bit, or what.

As for Danielson, they're having him do the Giro - Vuelta game this year, to see how he does. If he impresses then I'm sure we'll see him on the Tour roster next year. That, or never.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I think so too, assuming he can climb like he was doing last year. He is pretty decent at TTs as well.
Sorry, can't see Hincapie even in top 10. Never mind podium.

Hincapie was outside of top 20 last year, more than 20 min behind Lance &Co when he was allowed to go in a breakaway. They had 17+ min at some point, which top guys closed to 5 min on the final climb.Yes, his mountain climb win was impressive and very unexpected (and I wonder if it could happen again, since he is now a marked man), but there's absolutely no way Hincapie can climb well enough to respond to Vino, Basso, and other's accelerations.

It's all hype

· Registered
1,611 Posts
bas said:
Have these 2 ridden a Grand Tour befoe? Just wondering.. never heard their names.

Vladimir Gusev
Egoi Martínez
Gusev is a young Russian, tough Classics rider who did a great Flanders and P-R in support of Hoste/Hincapie. CSC tried to sign him but Johan won out. I think this is his first Tour. Johan has a lot of faith in him.

Martinez I believe has ridden the Tour before; he came from Euskaltel Eusakadi.

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Asiago said:
Don't forget about Vinokourov. Or even Levi.
Unfortunately I'd say no way to Levi...he just can't hang on when the gradient is steep. He could luck into a podium but it would have to be one of the big Vino, Ulle, Floyd & Bassonova boys cracking. As for Vino...that's a true wildcard...if he races smart he could win it all but last year showed that he just doesn't know how to race smart. We'll have to wait and see what a new team/manager brings...his race miles will be minimum at the Tour and we saw what that did to Heras last year at Seguros. Who knows...it's all fun speculation anyways...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.