Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few trips out on my Trek 5.5 Madone have been very noisey. It's intermittant, but when I pedal on the left upstroke there is this squealing that's very loud. It sounds like the carbon is being scrapped or tweaked or something. The whole frame vibrates. It's hard to tell where it's coming from. Recently I had the back cassette changed out, but that was 3 months ago. It's only on the pedal motion. I checked that the wheels/brakes aren't rubbing. Could it be the BB?
I got new Vittoria Corsas a week ago, but what could that have to do with it???
Oh yeh............... it seems to just happen for the first 15 minutes or so, then goes away. The last ride it was squealing for about 15 minutes until I came to a red light. I sat on my top tube for a couple minutes waiting for the light, when I took off it was gone ?????

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Take it to the shop you got it from. Trek has had issues with the bottom bracket shells on the Madone frames. The press in bearings seem to be very susceptible to ANY sort of movement caused by the cranks. It causes some cavitation and eats away (wallows out) the molded in cups.
The shop here has warrantied about a half dozen frames for this problem.
With all of the problems Trek is having these days, I'd get it warrantied, get the new one and sell it.
BB issues, seatmast breakage and now the steerer tube failures...QC is pretty bad there these days. Or maybe it's just a poor design...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Trek doesn't usually warranty the frames themselves, in my experience. We have replaced non-drive side bearings in a hand full of bikes. Trek just moulds a paper thin piece of metal to the outside of the bearing to take up the space caused by the movement of the original bearings.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
pdainsworth said:
Trek doesn't usually warranty the frames themselves, in my experience. We have replaced non-drive side bearings in a hand full of bikes. Trek just moulds a paper thin piece of metal to the outside of the bearing to take up the space caused by the movement of the original bearings.
They replaced the first ones, but I think the sheer amount of bikes that they were covering under warranty was becoming prohibitive. Thus, they are doing this Mickey Mouse fix.

Three folks in town got new frames...one has had the BS fix done with the new bearing(s) and the shim. Everyone in our group that had bought a Madone has had theirs replaced in the last year.

What a joke...

Enjoy your Madones people.
Broken steerers
Broken seatmasts
Wallowed out BBs

Good QC and CS Trek...:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.