Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In over 30,000 miles on a bicycle in the last 12 years, I never came closer to being killed than I was today. And it was a tenth of a mile from the bottom of my driveway. Got to the bottom of my driveway and looked both ways and mounted my bike. There was a milk hauler in his tanker truck at the top of my neighbor’s driveway about a tenth of a mile to the right. He was just getting ready to pull out and head my way but I had plenty of time. I started down the hill on my road and heard the truck accelerating HARD; I glanced in my rear-view and saw him coming pretty fast. I did the math in my head real quick and knew he would catch me down at the hard left down the hill…I realized that this joker was going to pass me ON THE TURN…. OMG…the road is only like 20 feet wide and he was 10 of it…. The roadsides and ditches are pretty bad after the rain so I got on it HARD and sprinted to get to the turn and through it before he caught up. I heard him accelerate even harder…. I am starting into the turn on the outside radius and he was pulling around me (illegally I might add) At this point I was moving about 25 or so. All of the sudden I felt something hit my ankle. My frame pump had bounced off the frame and was against my inside (up) foot…I was terrified, the truck was coming alongside me, passing on a blind turn on the inside and my pump is going to bounce into my rear wheel…. I unclipped and kicked all in one smooth swoop and the pump shot off and actually bounced off the tire of the truck who was directly alongside me…I headed into the tall (waist high) grass and the ditch, I would rather take my chances there than under the truck. I managed to keep the rubber down as someone so eloquently said…..and stopped…the truck just kept going….

I rode for 42 miles to decompress a bit. When I got home I called my neighbor and asked her to relay a message to the milk hauler. I would give him the benefit of the doubt this time but if he EVER pulled a boneheaded stunt like that again and I was lucky enough to live through it, I would see to it that his chauffeur’s license was pulled. I probably made a serious mistake NOT reporting it to his employer and the police this time….but I am SURE that Judy will deal with him.

I just checked my GPS log……I was doing 29 when I kicked the pump out of the way...

· Registered
783 Posts
Man that is scary glad everything relatively worked out for you. That is a not a good situation when you are forced into s spot with no escape route except a ditch. I've been there done that in my case dual gravel hauler with no shoulder on the road.

Ray Still

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much difference between a gravel truck and a tank truck full of milk when you put a bicycle UNDER it

· Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
He was 'having a little fun with ya'?

Glad you're ok, but I would not give that driver the "benefit of the doubt". You shouldn't be so kind to his kind.

Call his company and file a complaint. No one with a CDL should behave like that.

I once witnessed the following: city street, car with woman driving and two kids in the back. Tow truck came from behind car, passed her on her left, then turned right across her bumper into a side street. I called the tow company with the truck number and description of the driver. The dispatcher I spoke to was thankful that I called, and expressed something to the effect of "I know this guy and he's been trouble". Two days later I got a call from the owner of the company letting me know that the driver had been fired.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
btw, the pump bounced off the moving tire and into the ditch and is fine....I did pull a LOT of grass out of the bike pedals and drivetrain though....

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rollo Tommassi said:
Glad you're ok, but I would not give that driver the "benefit of the doubt". You shouldn't be so kind to his kind.

Call his company and file a complaint. No one with a CDL should behave like that.

I once witnessed the following: city street, car with woman driving and two kids in the back. Tow truck came from behind car, passed her on her left, then turned right across her bumper into a side street. I called the tow company with the truck number and description of the driver. The dispatcher I spoke to was thankful that I called, and expressed something to the effect of "I know this guy and he's been trouble". Two days later I got a call from the owner of the company letting me know that the driver had been fired.
I am sure Judy will let me know what he says...if it is any less than OMG I am so sorry I will be filing a complaint, trust me..I have a GPS log of the whole incident to boot.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Ok, fine, perhaps the driver was being a total idiot, but I am more amazed at the "so I got on it HARD and sprinted to get to the turn and through it before he caught up" response to the oncoming danger.

· Registered
638 Posts
First off Im glad that youre ok. thats the important part. Secondly you need to call his employer and see to it that he gets fired or at least pulled from driving for the company. How are you going to feel if you find out 2 weeks from now that he killed a cyclist by pulling a similar stunt? You owe not only to yourself but to every cyclist, pedestrian, and other motorist on the road that his employer finds out about this and deals with him appropriately. As cyclists we ride, theres a feeling about bikes that we know and love.... thats why its our responsibility to look out for each other. Giving somebody like that "the benefeit of the doubt" is not something that affects only you. Do the right thing and call his boss in the morning. Let him know that if he doesnt take care of the situation he'll get a visit from the cops and theyll take care of it.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tschai said:
Ok, fine, perhaps the driver was being a total idiot, but I am more amazed at the "so I got on it HARD and sprinted to get to the turn and through it before he caught up" response to the oncoming danger.

well I didn't want the scenario to pan out just the way it did.....I was almost into the turn and there was no other options but to try to stay in front of him. Had the pump not become part of the mix, I would have made it through the turn ahead of him and had time to pull over.
I was moving at 20+ mph when this whole thing started and it all happened in 21 seconds.
Since when is getting out of the way an invalid response to danger?

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B15serv said:
First off Im glad that youre ok. thats the important part. Secondly you need to call his employer and see to it that he gets fired or at least pulled from driving for the company. How are you going to feel if you find out 2 weeks from now that he killed a cyclist by pulling a similar stunt? You owe not only to yourself but to every cyclist, pedestrian, and other motorist on the road that his employer finds out about this and deals with him appropriately. As cyclists we ride, theres a feeling about bikes that we know and love.... thats why its our responsibility to look out for each other. Giving somebody like that "the benefeit of the doubt" is not something that affects only you. Do the right thing and call his boss in the morning. Let him know that if he doesnt take care of the situation he'll get a visit from the cops and theyll take care of it.
you know what...you are right...

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
well I didn't want the scenario to pan out just the way it did.....I was almost into the turn and there was no other options but to try to stay in front of him. Had the pump not become part of the mix, I would have made it through the turn ahead of him and had time to pull over.
I was moving at 20+ mph when this whole thing started and it all happened in 21 seconds.
Since when is getting out of the way an invalid response to danger?
To me it sounded like you didn't like the condition of the roadsides, so you decided to try and beat the truck through the turn rather than pull off the road. Since I was not there, if you say you made the best choice, than I believe you did. In any case, best choice or not, the truck driver was a total tool.

· Registered
143 Posts
Glad you're okay. I hope if ever you're in a similar situation, though, you do the smart thing and just come to a stop off the side of the road and let the guy pass instead of trying to race him. You're lucky you didn't get hurt. However, since he shouldn't have been doing what he was doing, you're certainly well within your rights to call and complain about his driving. What he did was irresponsible and dangerous.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Good decision. I wasn't there so obviously I can't say if the driver was just ignorant of the situation, or if he/she was deliberately trying to intimidate or harm you. If it were me, and I thought it was the former, I don't think I'd ask for the guy's job. He definitely needs to be talked to, educated, written up, warned...something. If I thought it was the latter, I'd go to the wall with it.

Happy to hear you're all right.

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Whadabala said:
More importantly, since when is milk still delivered?
+1

Was this in Canada or some other goofy place?

· Registered
25 Posts
Wow! scary.... It sounds like that guy either didn't see you or simply didn't care. (I like to think he wasn't actually TRYING to run you over) Glad you're OK and I really thank you for posting. :thumbsup:

I've only been riding a few months and getting creamed on the roads here in Socal has been a huge concern for me. As my bike handling improves and my rides take me through more diverse conditions, I gain confidence riding with traffic. However, it seems there's so much to be learned by all the experiences, good and bad, that people share on this forum.

Thanks again :)

· Registered
382 Posts
A couple of things come to mind. I was on the shoulder on a busy road. The shoulder was probably 6 feet wide. I was all the way over and big truck came within a foot of me. As he was passing, I saw him adjusting his rear view mirror. I doubt that he even saw me. I ride with some hard core cyclist. These guys are in there 50's and 60's. Once on a ride, a car turned right in front of us. It was a close call. One of the bikers chased them down and I guess really let them have it.
Another time we were riding and someone shouted out there car window. I don't even know what they shouted. Something bicylist. We caught up with this car at a light. And one of the guys I was riding with. A guy probably 60's, thin. He started pounding on the car window. Shouting" See how tough you are when your not hiding in a car". The guy in the car was a young guy and good size. He looked like he was going to crap his pants. It was one of those moments that was funny and scary at the same time.
I've had my share of Mr. and Mrs. Magoo moments.
If I was you. I would report the guy. I don't think most drivers consider a bicyclist much a threat. I'm glad your ok. Be careful.

· Off the back.
64 Posts
Tschai said:
+1

Was this in Canada or some other goofy place?
I'm guessing that the truck was picking up milk, not delivering it... city slickers.

:p

Meant to add: Glad you're okay. 'Round these parts those haulers go as fast as they can all the time, and it seems to me they'll also do that sort of thing to cars that they perceive as "pulling out in front of them".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.