Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Warning this post contains some NON NCD material that may be unsuitable for those conditioned to NCD-only discussions. Therefore the Postmaster General has rated this post: NCD-13.

Ok, so here we were at the tail end of a 40 mile ride on an unseasonably warm January day in Missouri. There were four of us riding four abreast, just soft-pedaling along on a lightly-travelled outer road, discussing whatever. Suddenly, swinging WAY around us was some schmuck on a Litespeed. He didn’t say “hi”, wave, “On your left”, stop to talk, give a head nod or anything… we all just kind of looked at each other, and I could tell that that our collective community of good spirit and harmony had just suffered an affront… a rude cyclist. What the hell? No wonder some of the MTB community call us snobs.

So, within the next 6.2 seconds, this brewed within our minds and without a word being spoken, three of us had taken off to catch this perpetrator. We caught him at a stoplight, and said “hey”, just to spark an iota of conversation and goodwill. The guy took one look back at use, gave us a crazed look… then shot THROUGH a red light WITH TRAFFIC to get through and off onto the side road. I looked over at Tim who just shook his head and said “he’s not going anywhere”… so we sat through the light and TTed and caught him relatively quickly. The guy looked back and started hammering, but to no avail, the testosterone trigger had been pulled and we zapped past the guy, and left him behind. One of our other riders had stayed with him to chat and comment, but to him he was rude as well. We waited at the end of the road for our other rider and that guy just turned, gave us a gesture and rode off. What in the hell?

So…. in retrospect, I was just curious about the whole social issue of what just occurred and in our own alpha-dog version of a social reprimand, did we do more harm than good as far as the cycling community towards racers or whatnot. Would we have been better off just letting the guy go on his own personal Tour de France win, or was it better to show that we were faster… to me, in retrospective it seems kind of juvenile. But the funny thing is that, there was NOTHING SPOKEN… it was just this…. Natural reaction.

It has happened before, once on a nightly hammer-fest, the faster dudes were smoking along, not overly hard, but some old dude without a helmet with AERO BARS, no less, comes screaming by, once again without a word… and I looked next to me at Craig and he said, that guy was looking to cause trouble. Not 4 seconds later, people started going around in pursuit of the guy and the whole ride got way chaotic after that. Once again, the offender left way behind….

So, what is that? Do the same things happen at your rides? Is it just racers? What is it? Is it some kind of unspoken pack mentality to teach the interlopers a lesson? Is it testosterone or are we just being childish and stupid. Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,706 Posts
funknuggets said:
*Warning this post contains some NON NCD material that may be unsuitable for those conditioned to NCD-only discussions. Therefore the Postmaster General has rated this post: NCD-13.

Ok, so here we were at the tail end of a 40 mile ride on an unseasonably warm January day in Missouri. There were four of us riding four abreast, just soft-pedaling along on a lightly-travelled outer road, discussing whatever. Suddenly, swinging WAY around us was some schmuck on a Litespeed. He didn’t say “hi”, wave, “On your left”, stop to talk, give a head nod or anything… we all just kind of looked at each other, and I could tell that that our collective community of good spirit and harmony had just suffered an affront… a rude cyclist. What the hell? No wonder some of the MTB community call us snobs.

So, within the next 6.2 seconds, this brewed within our minds and without a word being spoken, three of us had taken off to catch this perpetrator. We caught him at a stoplight, and said “hey”, just to spark an iota of conversation and goodwill. The guy took one look back at use, gave us a crazed look… then shot THROUGH a red light WITH TRAFFIC to get through and off onto the side road. I looked over at Tim who just shook his head and said “he’s not going anywhere”… so we sat through the light and TTed and caught him relatively quickly. The guy looked back and started hammering, but to no avail, the testosterone trigger had been pulled and we zapped past the guy, and left him behind. One of our other riders had stayed with him to chat and comment, but to him he was rude as well. We waited at the end of the road for our other rider and that guy just turned, gave us a gesture and rode off. What in the hell?

So…. in retrospect, I was just curious about the whole social issue of what just occurred and in our own alpha-dog version of a social reprimand, did we do more harm than good as far as the cycling community towards racers or whatnot. Would we have been better off just letting the guy go on his own personal Tour de France win, or was it better to show that we were faster… to me, in retrospective it seems kind of juvenile. But the funny thing is that, there was NOTHING SPOKEN… it was just this…. Natural reaction.

It has happened before, once on a nightly hammer-fest, the faster dudes were smoking along, not overly hard, but some old dude without a helmet with AERO BARS, no less, comes screaming by, once again without a word… and I looked next to me at Craig and he said, that guy was looking to cause trouble. Not 4 seconds later, people started going around in pursuit of the guy and the whole ride got way chaotic after that. Once again, the offender left way behind….

So, what is that? Do the same things happen at your rides? Is it just racers? What is it? Is it some kind of unspoken pack mentality to teach the interlopers a lesson? Is it testosterone or are we just being childish and stupid. Just curious.
its a pack mentality like a bunch of dogs. guys dig it. some girls do. but its nice to have and act on every once in awhile. no harm done.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,092 Posts
You let the individual on the Lightspeed control you. You based your behavior soley on his behaviour and not on your desire to ride the way you really wanted to ride. You changed your speed, ride route, and configuration all because of the other riders actions.

You were not in control of yourself.

It was actually me on the Lightspeed. I had just gotten a notice in the mail that my job was abolished and they were going to mail me my workplace items. They told me I was not allowed to come back in to work for computer security reasons. I hopped on the bike to sort things out and clear my mind and didn't want to talk to anyone at home about it yet. Just one of a million potential reasons.


BTW, I have the same urges. In reality though, maybe the guy just wanted to be left alone and was not trying to prove anything. None of us that travel a bunch try to force the person next to us on the plane to talk to us. But there seems to be this obligation in cycling to talk to any and all cyclists you pass or meet on the road ( I am a talker so I enjoy this part of cycling) and anyone who passes a group is trying to be a prick.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wait... so...

thinkcooper said:
Ah how I miss the "breaking away" days of long frame mounted silca pumps with heavy metal campy heads.
Would you be swinging at the Litespeed guy, or the posturing idiots that just passed you in retaliation?
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, and I counted on you...

thinkcooper said:
Here I thought I would get some reasonable response. The key reason I didn't post it in general. Gee, thanks for nothing...

Got any new pork recepies coop?
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
funknuggets said:
Here I thought I would get some reasonable response. The key reason I didn't post it in general. Gee, thanks for nothing...

Got any new pork recepies coop?
That'll teach you to think "cooper" HAHAHA

Honest answer, I never swung a pump in anger, except for a dog here and there. But chase down a group and balst past 'em, or participate in group chase of a lone rider? Or been a lone rider chasing down another? Done all, with glee. Testosterone methinks.

Just yesterday, some guy blasted past me just as the RR-XXing gate lifted, (he was on a Litespeed) and appeared to be drafting a van to "show me up". I caught him shortly, passed and dropped him, then slowed up to chat. He wasn't agro, but until we made face to face, it was a race for the gold cup.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
kpcw said:
If there is one race I wanna do, it is The Little 500. Me (as Mike), Cooper (Dave), J's (Moocher), BJII (Cyril) with Von as a fluffer on the sidelines ;) . Then again, I could be Rod, the preppy jerk and SN69 could be Mike. ATP would be one of the big Italian riders. Scotty2hotty could be the mailman who delivers the Cycling Magazine and Funk would be the Race Starter in a plaid coat. Yarble, gotta fit him in here. He is Mike's uncool/cool brother the cop.

Mrs. Cooper :eek: could be 'Katerina' of course, Old Ed could be Mr. Stohler and Eddy or iL Sogno could be Mrs. Stohler.

If I am Rod (slang for dick), then I wind up with Scarlett Johansson when Katerina leaves me...we make an NC-17 version cause I shag Scarlett rotten. :)


http://www.teamcinzano.com/team-history.php

Cinzano's History
Inspired by the Oscar winning film Breaking Away, Cinzano began Little 500 competition in 1985 as an independent entity. Within four short years, the Cinzano program would hoist the Indiana University Borg-Warner Trophy as the Little 500 Champions. The Cinzano program has developed many young aspiring cyclists, including the United States National Champion Ben Sharp. With fourteen Top 15 finishes in our short 20 year history, the Cinzano program ranks 12th in all time Little 500 standings. The winning tradition and the dedication of riders and staff make our program one of the most respected and most feared in the Little 500. As an Independent entity in the Little 500, Cinzano relies heavily on outside assistance for support. Without this assistance and lacking the support system and financial backing of a fraternity houseor a housing unit requires Cinzano members to finance racing and equipment needs from their own pockets. This, on top of pursuing a college education defines the character of the individual riders who come together under the familiar red and blue Cinzano umbrella. Team Cinzano truly represents the essence of sport.
how come i have to be moocher?

i ALWAYS have to be moocher. :mad:
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,225 Posts
I roll with the biggest Zefal HPx they make. That'll do the trick, and serves as a nice bludgeon for lesser offenses.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Yeah, but you get the tall hippie chica in the end. Literally.
story of my life. nttawwt!
 

·
Rock the Mullet!
Joined
·
305 Posts
I wanna play....

kpcw said:
If there is one race I wanna do, it is The Little 500. Me (as Mike), Cooper (Dave), J's (Moocher), BJII (Cyril) with Von as a fluffer on the sidelines ;) . Then again, I could be Rod, the preppy jerk and SN69 could be Mike. ATP would be one of the big Italian riders. Scotty2hotty could be the mailman who delivers the Cycling Magazine and Funk would be the Race Starter in a plaid coat. Yarble, gotta fit him in here. He is Mike's uncool/cool brother the cop.

Mrs. Cooper :eek: could be 'Katerina' of course, Old Ed could be Mr. Stohler and Eddy or iL Sogno could be Mrs. Stohler.

If I am Rod (slang for dick), then I wind up with Scarlett Johansson when Katerina leaves me...we make an NC-17 version cause I shag Scarlett rotten. :)


I could put on a wig and tight sweater and be Katarina's nasty roommate (played by B movie goddess PJ Soles in the original). SInce its going to be nc-17 the cross-dressing should fit right in.....NTTAWWT :D

Pb
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tsk tsk....

haiku d'etat said:
story of my life. nttawwt!
Man this party has gotten way out of hand. You want to fight and a hockey game breaks out.... thats what I love about this place, the disjointed community that finds a way to enjoy itself to the point where someone asks where the hell are we at and how did we get here, at which someone would hand them a spork and a family-sized bottle of KY and tell them to figure it out... and of course someone would say sammich....

bunch of jerks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
dr hoo said:
I roll with the biggest Zefal HPx they make. That'll do the trick, and serves as a nice bludgeon for lesser offenses.
I heard that J's took the guts out of his Zefal HP and made it into a SS 20 ga. NTTATWWT.
 

·
a jumped up pantry boy
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
funknuggets said:
Man this party has gotten way out of hand. You want to fight and a hockey game breaks out.... thats what I love about this place, the disjointed community that finds a way to enjoy itself to the point where someone asks where the hell are we at and how did we get here, at which someone would hand them a spork and a family-sized bottle of KY and tell them to figure it out... and of course someone would say sammich....

bunch of jerks.
bike people are some of the weirdest people on the planet. today i saw this lady who was obviously new to riding, she still had all the reflectors on and was in the small/small combo. it was making a horrible noise rubbing, so i rode up to tell her. when i open my mouth she starts screaming for me to get away and not come any closer.

the best advice in this thread is coopers. old school cinzano mafia style.

ps. man do i miss danger mouse.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Ah how I miss the "breaking away" days of long frame mounted silca pumps with heavy metal campy heads.
I'm of the brain that thinks that a full 24oz waterbottle makes a great piece of artillery. Especially iffin' it's full of heavy water......
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Testes! That is all. I just wanted to say that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
funknuggets said:
*Warning this post contains some NON NCD material that may be unsuitable for those conditioned to NCD-only discussions. Therefore the Postmaster General has rated this post: NCD-13.

Ok, so here we were at the tail end of a 40 mile ride on an unseasonably warm January day in Missouri. There were four of us riding four abreast, just soft-pedaling along on a lightly-travelled outer road, discussing whatever. Suddenly, swinging WAY around us was some schmuck on a Litespeed. He didn’t say “hi”, wave, “On your left”, stop to talk, give a head nod or anything… we all just kind of looked at each other, and I could tell that that our collective community of good spirit and harmony had just suffered an affront… a rude cyclist. What the hell? No wonder some of the MTB community call us snobs.

So, within the next 6.2 seconds, this brewed within our minds and without a word being spoken, three of us had taken off to catch this perpetrator. We caught him at a stoplight, and said “hey”, just to spark an iota of conversation and goodwill. The guy took one look back at use, gave us a crazed look… then shot THROUGH a red light WITH TRAFFIC to get through and off onto the side road. I looked over at Tim who just shook his head and said “he’s not going anywhere”… so we sat through the light and TTed and caught him relatively quickly. The guy looked back and started hammering, but to no avail, the testosterone trigger had been pulled and we zapped past the guy, and left him behind. One of our other riders had stayed with him to chat and comment, but to him he was rude as well. We waited at the end of the road for our other rider and that guy just turned, gave us a gesture and rode off. What in the hell?

So…. in retrospect, I was just curious about the whole social issue of what just occurred and in our own alpha-dog version of a social reprimand, did we do more harm than good as far as the cycling community towards racers or whatnot. Would we have been better off just letting the guy go on his own personal Tour de France win, or was it better to show that we were faster… to me, in retrospective it seems kind of juvenile. But the funny thing is that, there was NOTHING SPOKEN… it was just this…. Natural reaction.

It has happened before, once on a nightly hammer-fest, the faster dudes were smoking along, not overly hard, but some old dude without a helmet with AERO BARS, no less, comes screaming by, once again without a word… and I looked next to me at Craig and he said, that guy was looking to cause trouble. Not 4 seconds later, people started going around in pursuit of the guy and the whole ride got way chaotic after that. Once again, the offender left way behind….

So, what is that? Do the same things happen at your rides? Is it just racers? What is it? Is it some kind of unspoken pack mentality to teach the interlopers a lesson? Is it testosterone or are we just being childish and stupid. Just curious.
A couple of billion years of evolution can't be wrong. Competition is Darwinism. I can't fault you guys for reeling him in and showing him where he stands in the pecking order.

Also, the lack of etiquette on his behalf was his "please educate me" invitation. At the end of the day you may be doing him a big favor. Hopefully, he could have picked up any number of lessons:

1.) Communicate better with others
2.) Learn that there is a time and the place for everything
3.) No matter how good you think you are, there is always someone better
4.) You usually accomplish more with a team
5.) Actions speak louder than words (especially if there are no words!!!)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top