Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a completely different beast than the Cat Eye I've been using.

This is going to take some getting use to. Even with the online manual, I'm still a bit confused; so many different options I'm not sure how to get to. Over the course of my ride, I stop periodically and take breaks to chow down a Powerbar, sometimes to take a leak. So I'm not sure if I should STOP the timer each time I stop, or just leave it running until I get home.

Lots of cool information gathered, though, over the course of my ride, but I'm still not sure what to do with any of it. After lunch I plugged it into the laptop and uploaded the info to Garmin Connect.

Overall

Time: 03:42:56
Distance: 70.22 mi
Elevation Gain: 1,873 ft
Calories: 4,183 C
Avg Temperature: 76.4 °F

Timing

Time: 03:42:56
Moving Time: 03:37:03
Elapsed Time: 04:10:38
Avg Speed: 18.9 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 19.4 mph
Max Speed: 36.3 mph

Elevation

Elevation Gain: 1,873 ft
Elevation Loss: 1,860 ft
Min Elevation: 33 ft
Max Elevation: 264 ft

Temperature

Avg Temperature: 76.4 °F
Min Temperature: 71.6 °F
Max Temperature: 89.6 °F

Now, since everything has been uploaded to Garmin Connect, is it safe to delete from the device itself?

·
Registered
322 Posts
you dont need to delete it, it has plenty of room.

Regarding pause on your break. You can leave it running, but there is another adjustment that you need to make ie turns on at 2mph.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Yeah, I have the Garmin 500 as well, and I quite like it - though it can be overload at first!

I set it to only show my speed on the first screen. I have other things available on the other screens, like total elevation gain and ride time, but for me I'm more interested in looking at those after the ride is done, not while I'm out there. So in order to keep it simple I only display speed.

The Garmin does have plenty of room, but I clear it out every 4 or 5 months. Eventually the memory can fill up depending on how often you ride and how far you go. You can access the ride file folder on the Garmin 500 through your computer like any other attached USB drive. I just copy those files to a folder on my computer to keep them archived, and erase them off of the Garmin.

As far as stopping goes, there is an "auto pause" feature that will automatically start and stop the device when it detects you are moving. Make sure that option is turned on. It works very well and seems accurate to me (i.e. calculates the correct amount of total stop time vs. ride time on my rides).

·
Jack of no trades
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay ... I just turned AUTO PAUSE to ON. So that means when I stop, it stops, right? And then when I start moving again, it will start up automatically?

I've also adjusted the display pages, simplifying them a bit.

One point of concern I have ... and I wonder if you guys have experienced it at point as well ... is that the speed seems erratic with a thick canopy of trees above me? There's an area along my course where I head into a State Park to run some laps around a 1.5 mi loop. It gets me out of the wind and away from the traffic, and is relatively flat, so I use it as an area rack up some comfortable, speedy miles. But it's very woody, and I noticed the erratic current speed as I sped along. Not sure if that is just a display issue, and the actual data is being logged correctly.

Like the CAAD, I'm getting the hang of it.

I just need to increase my speed. I feel like I'm riding hell-bent for leather, but the overall average is telling a different story. Whatever.

·
Master debator.
8,753 Posts
You can embed your ride or post a link to witch is cool. Por ejemplo

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/87848248'></iframe>

I always use autopause start/stop, setting a custom speed seems kind of goofy with my Garmin.
You will find interference from thick trees, and if you are between tall buildings etc.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Yup, that will start and stop the unit when you start. If you look at the screen when stopping/starting it will also display a message telling you it is "auto pausing/resuming", and it will also beep if you have that option turned on (I do).

Yes, speed and tracking can possibly be erratic in areas of thick cover, tight canyon walls, etc. - basically anywhere that the GPS signal can be interfered with. Commercial GPS units are only "so" accurate (somewhere like 10-20 ft on average), and the data is being taken discretely (lots of individual points), rather than continuously, so all that has an effect on the data, and your currently displayed speed can lag slightly behind what you're actually doing.

On most of my rides I notice small areas where my recorded "path" has gone out from the road, but overall that sort of data is minor and for my general cycling needs, doesn't cause me any worry. I think the tracking of all that data "overall" (I now have a year of Garmin data and can start to compare months in 2010 vs. 2011) is very useful, and the fact that it makes this sort of data collection so dead simple makes up for any slight "loss of resolution".

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about Garmin Connect (at least when I started using it last year) is that you can't mask your stop start location. I started to use Strava ($6/mo) which is very similar, but you can hid your stop/start locations so people don't know exactly where you live or work. :D

I'm a little paranoid about that sort of stuff, though. I also shred all my mail and store receipts. :eek:ut:

·
Master debator.
8,753 Posts
While that ride doesn't show where I live, if anyone needs to steal my bike they need to bypass the roaming 270 pounds of security that live and eat and poop in my yard :)

·
LOOK FREAK
1,044 Posts
after constantly tweaking my garmin, i've found the most useful data on the first screen is:
- current cadence
- current wattage
- current HR
- current speed
- time elapsed

speed isn't as big a deal since i'm focused more on watts these days but its nice to quickly see speed, hr, cadence & watts to see how well i'm doing on all 4.

then the other screens vary...i didnt realize how useful avg watts/lap & avg hr/lap, etc were until i started inputting training scenarios into the garmin.

definitely a learning curve to find what is important to you..just like finiding which online and offline sites & tools are best to analyze the data.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
While that ride doesn't show where I live, if anyone needs to steal my bike they need to bypass the roaming 270 pounds of security that live and eat and poop in my yard :)
Yeah, I use to just try and remember to start/stop away from my house and job, but I was pretty bad about remembering much of the time. Having a program do it for me is a lot easier.

As far as security goes, my 6 lb, 3-legged cat isn't much good.

·
LOOK FREAK
1,044 Posts
i guess this would be a bad time to mention how often i leave on a 2-3 hour ride and forget to lock my doors... :eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Auto pause less than 2 or 3 mph. If you notice it will show speed when you are standing still, I assume this is because the satellite is moving. 3 mph fixes this.

·
3,493 Posts
Auto pause less than 2 or 3 mph. If you notice it will show speed when you are standing still, I assume this is because the satellite is moving. 3 mph fixes this.
The satellites are always moving as they're not in geostationary orbit. This is just the inherent error/noise in the calculated GPS location. It will move around within the margin of error (think of it as say a 10-20 feet circle with you at the center of it), and this error movement will be considered as you moving unless you chop it off below a certain speed. If you are in the habit of climbing really really steep climbs at 3mph (without falling over!), then you would want to set this slightly lower.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I hate Garmin connect since they went to Bing maps. I now use www.ridewithgps.com I ride in a lot of canyons and have found that buying the speed and and cadence sensor was better than having weird readings after the ride.

·
Jack of no trades
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/87848248'></iframe>

I always use autopause start/stop, setting a custom speed seems kind of goofy with my Garmin.
You will find interference from thick trees, and if you are between tall buildings etc.
Alright ... let's give that a try ...

·
Jack of no trades
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about Garmin Connect (at least when I started using it last year) is that you can't mask your stop start location. I started to use Strava ($6/mo) which is very similar, but you can hid your stop/start locations so people don't know exactly where you live or work. :D

I'm a little paranoid about that sort of stuff, though. I also shred all my mail and store receipts. :eek:ut:
Hey, can't be too safe.

Which is why I'm usually heavily armed at all times, and have my head on a swivel. :ihih:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
One point of concern I have ... and I wonder if you guys have experienced it at point as well ... is that the speed seems erratic with a thick canopy of trees above me? ............
Are you using a GSC 10 cadence/speed sensor?

I use one on my 705 and don't have that problem since I'm not depending on the GPS for speed.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
From the readouts, the auto pause seems worthless, as your average speed is very close to your cruising speed. If it kept going, your average speed would be way lower than it reads.

·
Jack of no trades
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you using a GSC 10 cadence/speed sensor?

I use one on my 705 and don't have that problem since I'm not depending on the GPS for speed.
No, I didn't get the package. I just have the gizmo, not the cadence or heart rate stuff.

Perhaps later when I can scrounge up some more cash.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts