Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the idiot, in this case, is me.

i'm building up a new frame, and i wanna do as much of the work on it as possible. thing is, i've very little experience with bicycle mechanics. i maintain/fiddle with my existing bike, but i didnt put it together. also, i currently ride a fixed, and my next frame is lookin' like it'll have 105 up front and xt or lx in the rear, and barcons. yeah, that's right: stuff i've little or no experience with. ought i get my paws dirty and dive in anyway, knowing full well that there'll be pitfalls and mistakes made? or should i just leave it to the wrenches at the lbs. basically, i dont have any real time constraints. i just want it to be done by may, so i can start riding. i can keep riding the fix until then.

any thoughts, in general, about a mechanical dunce getting started on this type of thing with little experience?(i know, i know. you have to start somewhere. i just dont want to ruin any of my hard-earned parts.)

tia,
-rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree also. If you get frustrated walk away from it for a while and do something else. It's amazing how well you can solve problems on the back burner. There isn't anything you can't learn about bikes. No offense, but they are relatively simple machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.