Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All the employees at my work get a special deal on service at Teton Toyota because they service our fleet vehicles. I left my '95 Mercury Tracer with 65,000 miles on it at T.T. over the weekend (while I was in Boise crashing people in the Twilight Criterium) to have the oil changed. Last night my wife was driving home form work and called me about two blocks form home saying that the car is making noises and the oil light came on. I popped the hood and their is oil all over the place. You can get to the oil filter from above so I check it and it is loose. I tighten it as tight as I can with it being hot and covered in oil and put a couple of quarts in and start it back up and it immediately loosens again and runs the oil I just put in it all out.

So T.T. is supposed to have a tow truck there this morning by 7:30. Nothing. I call and they say they use an outside towing company so they don't know when they'll get it. I need to be at work so I go and wipe all the oil off the filter and try to tighten it again and discover it's all stripped out and can't be tightened so I ride my bike to work.

Come to find out they did the same thing to another guy at work on his new car that has less than 15k on it.

What is my recourse if my engine is jacked up?

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
If they screwed it up, I'd imagine they'd likely fix it. The problem is that a 95 Mercury Tracer is probably worth less than the cost of a new engine, if this is in fact required, so I'd imagine they have some sort of insurance.

I would applaud your wife for having the sense to stop and mention the odd noise. She may in act have saved your car from ruin. If as you said it starts and runs, those are good signs. The scary part is that most people would have kept driving until it blew up.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
If the engine is jacked, they owe you a replacement engine. If they don't come through, take them to small claims court. It doesn't matter if your car is a POS and worth less than the engine.

If the engine is jacked, what they will probably do is offer to trade your 95 Mercury for some other used car on their lot. That would most likely be a good option. If they don't suggest it, you should.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
sounds like they left the old crush washer on when they installed new filter. Either that or used a defective filter. Seriously how do you eff up an oil change?

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,736 Posts
yep, they screwed it up, they need to make it right.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
How much steam do you have with your company hierarchy? Since your company does business with the dealer, can you get your President, VP, etc to have a friendly conversation with his counterpart at the dealer?

Have you escalated this to the Service Manager? The General Manager?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
You wouldn't have had that problem if you had bought a Mac instead.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
They need to fix what they F***** up.

I have never taken an out of warranty care to a dealership and I never will. Discount or not service can be had cheaper and more reliably elsewhere.

·
9,790 Posts
Talk directly to the Service Manager, not a service writer. If that doesn't give you the results you want, talk to the owner of the dealership.

If the engine is jacked; and we know that it has at the very least lost some of its lifespan, they owe you a replacement engine. Maybe only a used engine with the same or fewer miles on it, but it's definitely a f-up on their part.

Anywhere I worked, if something like this happened, it was fixed.

(Platy = Certified Ford Technician)

·
Registered
68 Posts
This happened to me at a local Honda dealearship once - in fact,what the Tech did, or did not do, was check to insure that when he removed the old filter that the gasket came off with it, In my case, he didn't check so the new filter went on and the old gasket was still stuck to the block, in effect, double gasketing the filter and preventing any semblance of a seal. When I got to the car there was already ~3 quarts of oil under the car that could be seen from the side. I popped the hood and it was covered all over with sprayed oil. I never cranked it up - just went back inside and handed the keys back to the SM and said, "you failed."

They went through the engine found that it wasn't damaged and offered me a HondaCare Warranty specific to the engine tranny good for 150k - it 8k on it at the time. I took it and drove the car for years with no problem.

Now, if I can't get it done myself and have to take it somewhere, I insist that they check that it is not double gasket'd and that they use a new crush washer.

·
9,790 Posts
mhopton said:
This happened to me at a local Honda dealearship once - in fact,what the Tech did, or did not do, was check to insure that when he removed the old filter that the gasket came off with it, In my case, he didn't check so the new filter went on and the old gasket was still stuck to the block, in effect, double gasketing the filter and preventing any semblance of a seal. When I got to the car there was already ~3 quarts of oil under the car that could be seen from the side. I popped the hood and it was covered all over with sprayed oil. I never cranked it up - just went back inside and handed the keys back to the SM and said, "you failed."

They went through the engine found that it wasn't damaged and offered me a HondaCare Warranty specific to the engine tranny good for 150k - it 8k on it at the time. I took it and drove the car for years with no problem.

Now, if I can't get it done myself and have to take it somewhere, I insist that they check that it is not double gasket'd and that they use a new crush washer.
N00b did that at one of the dealerships I worked for. On a Dodge truck. Cummins diesel. They hold a LOT of oil.....

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
See if they can fix your seat, too. It's too high. HTH

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It gets better. So they call me up and say they can't find the car. I said well send somebody over to my work to pick me up and we'll go find it.

TT: Let me check if we are willing to do that.

BMX: There is no "willing" about it, you WILL do it.

TT: I'll have the service manager call you.

The guy picks me up and I asked him if he was the guy that was looking for my car.

Yes

What kind of car were you looking for?

A Mercury Mystic.

It's a Tracer

Oh, I saw that but they said you'd be there waiting for me and I rang your doorbell and nobody was home.

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
You might be surprised

It sounds easy, does it not?

I wonder if there is a website or FB group for "Jiffy Lube / etc F'ed up my ride!"

I've had a GF whose oil filler cap was left off and it ran all over her timing case and ruined her motor, I've had another friend whose drain plug was overtightened and it stripped, blew out, leaked oil all over the road...

I dunno how these guys stay in business!

beantownbiker said:
sounds like they left the old crush washer on when they installed new filter. Either that or used a defective filter. Seriously how do you eff up an oil change?

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
beantownbiker said:
Crush washers go on the drain bolt, not the filter. Filters have gaskets.

argentius said:
I dunno how these guys stay in business!
People like BMX go there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts