Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last July while driving along the Yellowhead Highway west of Prince George British Columbia, we met about 2 dozen cyclist westbound wearing University of Texas jerseys. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a group of Texas students cycling across North America?

·
Registered
573 Posts
revrnd said:
Last July while driving along the Yellowhead Highway west of Prince George British Columbia, we met about 2 dozen cyclist westbound wearing University of Texas jerseys. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a group of Texas students cycling across North America?
Texas4000. we rode from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK raising money for the American Cancer Society. that was the 2nd year/ group...i was a member of the 1st year/ group. i can't remember what last year's group raised, but i believe my group ended up donating $100k to the ACS.

www.texas4000.org is our website

http://www.pbase.com/inbred/tx4000&page=all - those are a few of the pictures i took while on the road to and driving back from AK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guys rode up the Cassiar on road bikes? My hat is off to you. What kind of tires did you use? Some of those stretches of unpaved road looked horrible even for MTBs.

We passed 3 cyclists during the 2 days we were on it. All 3 times it was on the muddy stretches.

·
Registered
573 Posts
was that the extremely long stretch of dirt road in northern BC? if so, no. most of us actually drove that part in order to keep on schedule. however, a handful of people did ride it. about 6 or 7. it was a 200 mile day for them. they were running a mixed assortment of cheap ($13) Panaracers, stock Bontragers, and i believe one or 2 Specialized Armadillos.

At that point, my year's group was split into 2 routes still, the Rocky, and Sierra. the 2 routes met up in White Horse. we, the Sierra route, drove over that stretch at long after sundown, going from Prince George to White Horse.

it's funny you mention muddy. my route had experienced 1 day of rainfall out of about 50 between Texas and White Horse. the other route, the Rocky route, had about 14 days of sun, max. the day the riders did that 200mi ride was a wet day for them.

there was a stretch of road in YT that i seem to recall being in worse shape than the Cassiar. gorgeous land up there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Cassiar Highway runs from Kitwanga north to meet the Alaska Highway west of Watson Lake. Where it's paved it's great, but where it isn't & wet, not the best riding I imagine.

West of Whitehorse there was a couple of stretches that were torn up for construction. Yes that is beautiful country. I had been as far as Meziadin Jct. on vacation back in '99. I'd never been to Yukon or Alaska before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts