Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Texas legislature has actually been using the public’s tax dollars to try and pass a law that make sense, a bill now before the state legislature entitled “Relating to the operation of a motor vehicle in the vicinity of a vulnerable road user; providing penalties” . More commonly known as the “3 foot law”.

Thanks to many cyclists throughout the state, and some additional work by Texas Bicycle Coalition, things seem to be moving forward to a favorable conclusion.

Re Senate Bill 488: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB827

Re: House Bill 827: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB488

But the fight is not over! The approval process involves 7 steps (we are presently on step #2). Any additional support that can be obtained from anyone who may find themselves cycling, running or walking, etc along the Texas roadways would certainly be appreciated.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i don't think those laws really make a difference. maybe it eventually makes some people more aware they should give room to others and not to buzz them.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
In Memphis, the city has adopted a bunch of state laws as city ordinances. The 3 foot law included. That way the city can issue tickets with a $50.00 fine. They are doing this as a way to increase revenue lost to the economy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My state has a 3' law,as well as allowing cyclists to ride two abrest. No one knows about them, most motorists think bikes should stay on the sidewalk.

A few weeks ago, a guy mowed down a cyclist. He got out of the car, looked at the guy, and drove off leaving him to die. They caught the driver, and charged him with a misdameanor. Cyclists were outraged, We can't get no respect.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
gibbons said:
A few weeks ago, a guy mowed down a cyclist. He got out of the car, looked at the guy, and drove off leaving him to die.
he should be drawn and quartered.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I think the money and time spent enacting the 3 foot law would be better spent on bike paths. It's so hard to enforce the law. However, I do see something good - There is a law about if you see a police officer in a traffic stop on the side of the road, you need to slow down at least 10mph below the speed limit, or move over a lane. Since the media reported on it, I've seen most cars now move over when approaching a police car. Maybe this would happen with the 3 foot law?
On the other hand, many cyclists ride on back roads, and that's a very different situation too.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
gibbons said:
A few weeks ago, a guy mowed down a cyclist. He got out of the car, looked at the guy, and drove off leaving him to die. They caught the driver, and charged him with a misdameanor. Cyclists were outraged, We can't get no respect.
I don't buy that - he'd get charged with a hit & run, and at least involuntary manslaughter. Maybe the reporter hadn't got the full story.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Velodog is probably right about not enforcing the law but... There is an aggressive driver hotline in some of our towns where the police will contact the driver and notify them of their reported driving habits. This will be another way we can get the police to at least notice who is doing this. I was told by an officer that they do keep track of the license numbers of the cars that have been called in and are not as lenient when they see one. He commented on giving a ticket to one aggressive driver for going 32 in a 30 mph zone!

·
Sluggo
200 Posts
Alright Texas!

I'm for anything that keeps cyclists safe. We have a 3' law here in Florida too. But frankly, I don't think it makes that much difference, or that motorists know (care?) about it. Our pacelines still get buzzed by jerks.
So it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts