Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you recommend a good, local Mexican place in downtown San Antonio? Riverwalk is OK, but I'd like something that isn't *too* touristy.

Thanks.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Had you said Houston, I'd be giving you recommendations. Such as ******'s. Not the best, but very good. Mamacita's is about my fav overall. I've been disappointed when I've visited SA.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Once you get away from the Riverwalk you will be hard pressed to _not_ find a good local place. Just wander in anywhere at random.

Of course, even the tourist traps aren't bad. And it depends what you're looking for - a small time mom and pop place or a nice classy "Mexico, not Tex-Mex" place?

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
So you want something better than say..... Casa Bonita?

·
Buttons are not toys
15 Posts
How about Mi Tierra near Milam Square? Some tourist but always seems to have lots of locals. Short bus ride from Riverwalk.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Oh yeah, when we visited there, my wife's friend told us to go to one place, they had the FREAKIN' BEST margaritas I've ever had. The food was great too. Alas, I can't remember the name of it.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Chain said:
So you want something better than say..... Casa Bonita?
Not possible.

//I remember one or two places on the riverwalk actually being pretty good, especially for tourista central. Something about margaritas, and not much after that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rio Rio Cantina on the river walk is actually pretty good. I haven't been in a couple of years, but they had this veggie quesadilla that was killer.

Los Barrios on Blanco Road (the original location - it's got way better ambiance) is out of downtown and might be a bit harder to find but it's my favorite Tex-Mex place in the entire city. If you go to the original Blanco road location, you might just get served by an original family member of the owner. They have a puffy taco plate that is really very good and is making me hungry as I type. They also serve a cilantro dipping sauce with chips when you sit down that blows any salsa away.

For fast food and late night eats, you can't go wrong with Taco Cabana. They have locations all over the city and the food isn't too bad.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a Mexican place just west of st. Mary's and houston. Duck enchiladas. Hum.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Chain - it was a little better than Casa Bonita. :--)

·
Registered
180 Posts
+1 Taco Cabana

Can't wait to get back to TX and get some real Mexican food. I don't know much about San Antonio but Cabana is the best fast food Mexican restaurant that i know off. Most of my time is in El Paso and you can't go 3 miles without a good Mexican restaurant there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts