Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just came across a story on msnbc.com that I thought would be of interest to the readers of this forum. It seems some people are starting to come into emergency rooms around the country with injuries sustained while texting and participating in other activities such as cycling, walking, and rollerblading, etc. This photo also appears along with the story. Here is the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25934644/

Later,

Jay B.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
hahaha.

Is it bad that I find that funny? I mean, I guess its just like driving and txting, but the consequences for doing that are much worse, so its hard to find it funny. But walking and txting? lol.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Let’s blame technology! Yeah!
It's not technology that's to blame, it's how stupid people choose to use it. People have been doing this kind of stuff for years. It's no worse than eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc. Of course in this case most of the story focuses on walking, cycling, etc while texting.

I have often wondered about how people perceive relative risk. They may be totally afraid of flying (very low relative risk), while that same person will text and drive (very high relative risk) and think nothing of it. Go figure...

Later,

Jay B.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
The cops need to Tazer them. That'l teach em.

7,287 Posts
Treker said:
I have often wondered about how people perceive relative risk. They may be totally afraid of flying (very low relative risk), while that same person will text and drive (very high relative risk) and think nothing of it. Go figure...
There is a HUGE body of research on the topic of perceived risk. I doubt you'll get to the fulltext of lots of the articles, but if you do a search on Google Scholar you'll see what I'm talking about.

· Registered
223 Posts
FWIW, I watched Paolo Bettini sit at the back of the bunch at the ToC in '07 and text away and a bit later watched Rock Racing's Rashaan Bahati (sorry if mis-spelled) text while riding at the ADP Velodrome. The Bettini thing cracked me up...

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Treker said:
It's not technology that's to blame, it's how stupid people choose to use it. People have been doing this kind of stuff for years. It's no worse than eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc. Of course in this case most of the story focuses on walking, cycling, etc while texting.

Later,

Jay B.
Are you sure??? But technology is OUR CRUNCHY SAVIOUR!!!!!111ELEVENTY!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!

I’m going to bet 1,000,000,000,GAGIGGITY,000 dollhairs that you’re 10000001% wrongz.

7,287 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Are you sure??? But technology is OUR CRUNCHY SAVIOUR!!!!!111ELEVENTY!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!

I’m going to bet 1,000,000,000,GAGIGGITY,000 dollhairs that you’re 10000001% wrongz.
dude. what the crap are you on? :eek:ut:

stop taking it. really. :p

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
dude. what the crap are you on? :eek:ut:

stop taking it. really. :p
It sounded as though the guy really thought I was serious in blaming technology, so I played the “asshat” card. Yeah, you’re right, I guess that really belongs in our (yours and mine, don’t deny it) favorite forum, “The Lounge”—where men are men and sheep are scared. LOL

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Think again.

SwiftSolo said:
Exactly my thinking. God help the planet if these people breed. Makes me wonder about castration for the survivors?
You could make a good argument for including yourself in "these people" if you bicyle on public roads. Entrusting your life to texting SUV drivers could well be considered as, well, not very smart. I sure hope no one castrates you or me should we get hit and survive. :D

· Banned
7,756 Posts
wim said:
You could make a good argument for including yourself in "these people" if you bicyle on public roads. Entrusting your life to texting SUV drivers could well be considered as, well, not very smart. I sure hope no one castrates you or me should we get hit and survive. :D
I guess it is middle aged "SUV" drivers that text while driving? I thought it was teen age girls in Honda Civics. Actually, Mother has already cleaned the gene pool of a lot of those drivers who text.

Chance of dying from not getting exercise is far higher than from being hit by a car! Yes, I know I could drive to the gym and run on the tread mill or drive to a mountain biking location. Trouble is, I might encounter a mutant texter in a Honda Civic. On the other hand, my suv will serve as chlorine in that case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.