Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texting-distracted driving is rampant in Georgia; about 35% of all drivers are texting or reading something on their phone. It is another insidious unacceptable excuse for endangering others. We should not accept this behavior. IMHO, as group road cyclists have the most to lose and need current-effective legislation to ensure we eliminate this practice or make it so painful that people do not do it twice.
If we have the political will, we could take the phone out of their hand and make them go to court to get their property back, which would change the tide. (Similar to towing a car for a drunk). Obviously a small fine will not do the trick.
Political will eliminated drunk driving in my state because the rule applies to all of us. Invoke the same type of laws for texting-distracted driving. Write your mayor, your senator and congressional representative; send them a few pictures or examples!
Any feedback or suggestions,, other than using the MAC 10 appreciated.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Georgia's laws on this are as strict as any state:
"All drivers are prohibited from texting while driving. The law prohibits drivers from using a cell phone, text messaging device, personal digital assistant (PDA), computer, or similar wireless device to write, send, or read text data while driving. The ban applies to text messages, instant messages (IM), email, and Internet data. The law creates exceptions for emergency personnel, drivers responding to emergencies, and drivers who are fully parked."

It's the enforcement that's weak in most (all?) states. One point and a $150 fine is ridiculous. But... we aren't the group to fix it. MAAD and SAAD were the groups responsible for the enormous shift in DUI laws. Cyclists simply don't have the political capital - not as individuals, and certainly not as a group - to attract attention, funding, support...

Cyclists have the (earned!) reputation of ignoring most traffic laws. The majority of motorists think we belong on the sidewalk or MUUTs.

If you're passionate about this, I'd look to the schools for support - create a group, e.g. SAT (Students Against Texting).

Personally, I'm rolling the dice 'til we have autonomous cars.... I think we have a better shot getting people to put down the steering wheel before their phones.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
distracted drivers endanger all road users.

don't murk up the issue by putting the focus on cyclists.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Not an answer as most people cannot afford them.
It's the future.

Apparently, people with Apple Car Play (ios update in the future) will no longer be able to use their phone while connected to Apple Car Play. Same goes for Android Auto.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
It's the future.

Apparently, people with Apple Car Play (ios update in the future) will no longer be able to use their phone while connected to Apple Car Play. Same goes for Android Auto.
Not the near future. How many teslas do you see in your environs? That is how common self driving cars are going to be. For a very long while.

There's reason why the used car market is so huge.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can't speak for Georgia, but where I am there are plenty of laws governing this, one can get ticketed over any number of "distracted" activities such as phoning, texting, eating/drinking, reading, putting on makeup, etc. while driving. The issue is with enforcement (or lack there of), as a result, these laws are largely ignored.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Can't speak for Georgia, but where I am there are plenty of laws governing this, one can get ticketed over any number of "distracted" activities such as phoning, texting, eating/drinking, reading, putting on makeup, etc. while driving. The issue is with enforcement (or lack there of), as a result, these laws are largely ignored.
GA is the same. A couple years ago, a guy in Atlanta got a ticket for driving while eating a burger. But like you said... it's the enforcement. We're currently where DUIs where circa 1970.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you believe "self driving cars" are the solution then you will have to wait a long time...

http://fortune.com/2017/05/29/tesla-danger-cyclists/
Tesla Autopilot Tech a Danger to Cyclists: Robotics Expert
It will be a long time before "technology" can recognize cyclists better than a decent driver...
Some quotes:
she said she found the car's "agnostic behavior around bicyclists to be frightening,"
Autopilot classified .... 1% of bicyclists

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'll tell you what, it's not just texting. My wife and I bought our first brand new car about a month ago. Prior to that our newest car was a 2001. The old car had a "normal" stereo and a few knobs and buttons.

The new car has an "infotainment system". It takes conscious effort to not inadvertently mess around with the "radio" for a dangerous period of time. And this is coming from someone who NEVER uses a phone while driving, hands-free or otherwise.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Political will eliminated drunk driving in my state
I think you'd have to say "reduced" rather than "eliminated." Alcohol-related accidents still kill close to 300 people in your state each year. That's an improvement, to be sure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's the future.

These are good features being added to the phone OSs but I believe the user can disable the feature, and no doubt most people will.

Also I don't even think it's a lack of will that keeps enforcement lax (drive through any small town and many PDs will nail you with anything they can for $), so much as it's a difficult offence to prove- especially after the fact of say an accident.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The fall ios 11 update will have a text blocking feature when you are driving called " Do not disturb while driving"...
I wonder if they will have a "parent lock out" function that allows a parent to lock out text capability for the device when in a car. My understanding of the iOS 11 method is if the device is paired via Blue Tooth and or cable connected, texting ability can be turned off. Not sure how this would work as you can always just shutdown BT.

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
These laws exist in many areas but as others have said it's a lack of enforcement that renders them almost completely ineffective. Every time I drive I see motorists texting or otherwise using their phones while driving so how hard can it really be for cops to pull folks over when they see them do these things? Yeah yeah...cops have other crimes to fight but still, there is essentially no deterrent to prevent motorists from using their hand held devices whenever and wherever they want.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
These laws exist in many areas but as others have said it's a lack of enforcement that renders them almost completely ineffective. Every time I drive I see motorists texting or otherwise using their phones while driving so how hard can it really be for cops to pull folks over when they see them do these things? Yeah yeah...cops have other crimes to fight but still, there is essentially no deterrent to prevent motorists from using their hand held devices whenever and wherever they want.
You see on-duty cops with their cell out in marked police cruisers.

Everyone in the USA treats anti-talk/texting laws with equal contempt. Heck, people who've killed others with talking/texting have been repeat offenders. Everyone thinks they're a unique snowflake who can "handle it".

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Agree. Most drivers a pretty blatant about it. It not too hard to recognize drivers that are texting. They are swerving, constantly slowing and speeding up, etc. When I'm in my car I try to quickly get away from these folks. It curently does not carry the same level of public contempt that DUI does

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I've heard that the ceramic piece of a used spark plug will get a distracted driver to put down their phone every time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts