Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I signed up for the TFCE century ride with a group of others from work and also from my Phat Tues friends that train for the Pan Mass Challenge.The bike was waxed,washed and lubed the day before. Check. I met my work buddies Gary and Bruce at our work parking lot at 5am for the drive down to Umass/Dartmouth for the start of a century ride around the Mass and RI area. It is a well attended ride that sells out early. We met Gary2 half way down and hit the road. SO, I was riding with 2,000 of my closest friends and a glorius sunrise met us as we headed down. :D The weather called for overcast clouds and a max temp of 65. Perfect for a long ride like this. After looking back on it, the ride ended up being quite interesting. My work buddies and I started off together and things were proceding nicely. A day before the ride I did tell them I might go off the front, so there were no issues later on with me doing so. In the parking lot I met some poeple I knew. Some racers and some guys from my tues night at the races group ride thumbsup: While getting ready, a nice old Austin Healey parked right behind us and the old man had an old IBanesto cap on. Cool. I was thinking, how was he going to get his bike out of that vehicle, but alas, he was only visiting the volunteers.
We started the ride and warmed up nicely. The first rest stop is at mile 30. Along the way right about mile 20 we came across a young lady riding a yellow 99 Lemond Buenos Aires that has a sweet reynolds 853 frame. Which just so happens to be the same frame I'm on. :) Sweeeet. I chatted briefly with her about her bike. So far so good. We checked in at rest stop 1 were I also met my Phat Tues friends. We chatted briefly and I hit the road with my work mates. Shortly after leaving the rest stop my Phat Tues buddies came by and I told my work friends I'd be going with them. We rode it in to the second rest stop at the 47 mile mark were I ran in to Lemond Lady again and took a quick snap shot of her and her bike. Keep on riding Lemond lady.:thumbsup: My work buddies showed up and I was informed that Gary2 was out of the ride because his seatpost was cracked. What the h#ll. All seatposts should be one piece of metal. The upper half was pressed in to the tube and that separated from the main tube and his seat fell off. Dang Gary2 you sure where hard on that seat. :D He had to take the sag wagon back. :mad: Luckily he rode it in to the rest stop. He said it was really loose for many miles.
Well this was when things got even more interesting, My Phat buddies said lets go because they wanted to stay with the pedalpowerct.com group that was similair in speed, so off we went. Not a bad choice. They guided me through a for me rough 5 miles were there was the ever so slight rise at mile 55 to 60(rt77). Wow, I kept my head down and eyes off the computer and just concentrated on riding the wheel in front of me and before I knew it, we were turning left on to the seaward side of things. Wow, I was feeling good. It must've been the training rides along the Blackstone River that were helping me. Whatever it was I was feeling good and being an aquarius I knew the ocean coming up would be invigorating and refreshing and I wasn't dissapointed. I flew in to the 70 mile rest stop feeling good. It was fun to see the martini shirts and the other group of riders and their bikes there. Ed and I were resting in the field right next to this lady in the blue jacket who was laying on the grass with her helmet and sunglasses still on as her head was leaning against her seat. We were there for a brief time and she didn't move once. I was afraid to nudge her for fear of her being dead, We left after 20 minutes since we were waiting for someone and she had not moved the whole time we were there. Yikes. I hope it was only a big bonk. :) There is the time in a ride like this were the mind can start to do funny things. Just thinking in a civilized manner is a chore. I stayed a bit longer that I would have liked at the last rest stop but with 30 miles to go it was ok and we ended up latching back on to the pedalpower group and they set a nice pace after the rest stop and slowly ramped it back up. Good stuff and the company was good to.
I sure could have used one of the massages at the end but my wallet was in the truck locked up . Bummer. THANKS to all for the company and to all the volunteers both civilians and police for letting us pass through the red lights and allowing us to keep the momentum up. Good times on a cloudy sunday. Couldn't ask for more, Thanks for watching....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some more....

Here's a few more pics from my ride. The needle next to the building on campus set a nice back drop for the ending location. They served up some food and gave massages for $1/ minute. :) The student lounge even had the Pats/Cincie game on a big screen tv so I could check thescore while waiting for my buddies.
Bruce that's alot of stuff on your back. Big seatbag,camel bak and a hip bag. I don't know how you do it. ;-)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 more

why do my pics get out of order? I was tring to put them in order but they aren't. Do they get posted by size?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seatpost cracked

I've never seen anything like this before......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts