Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just disposed of one my two recent traffic tickets by "attending" on line traffic school. Sitting in the comfort of my own home and drinking a glass of wine, I finished the damn thing in under an hour. The last time I attended in person traffic school was 8 hours in a seedy part of Hollywood with a bunch of folks on methadone or worse who smelled like they hadn't showered in months. Then, of course, I had to listen to everyone's idiotic stories about how they broked tha law but dint deserve no ticket cuz blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I have to say this on-line traffic school thing seems like a joke for drivers and a racket for those running the "schools." However, I sure am glad I didn't have to spend the entire day in some run-down building with a dimwit telling me about traffic regulations.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firstrax said:
Lets have the rest of the story. Like, why did you need to attend traffic school?
Nothing too incredibly interesting. On the way home from work in January, I was behind a guy who was doing what for me seemed like a comfortable cruising speed in the number one lane. Suddenly he slowed way down for no apparent reason. Annoyed, I sped up and went around him. As I was passing, I saw a car stopped on the right shoulder. Putting 2 and 2 together, I figured I just passed Johnny Law at an excessive rate of speed. Seeing the red lights behind me confirmed my suspicion. The CHP officer was merciful and put me down for 5 miles under what he thought I was doing, which was 10 miles under what I was actually doing. I immediately swore off speeding.

Two weeks later on the way to the RBR gathering in San Diego, I was on the same two lane highway where James Dean died. I hate this road and avoid it whenever possible: too many trucks and too many head-on collisions. Anyhow, I'm behind a trucker whose speed is somewhat eratic. I can't sit behind him any more so with all clear, I speed up and pass him. I'm doing maybe 10 mph over the speed limit as I pass and plan to slow when I'm back in my lane. I get back and slow and then see a CHP officer going the opposite direction do a Starsky and Hutch u-turn through the dirt. I'm hoping he's gotten some emergency call. No such luck. He pulls me over and tells me everything about my pass was safe and legal, but when passing I still have to be doing the speed limit. Are you f'ing kidding me? Do the speed limit passing a big rig on a 2-lane road of death and risk becoming a hood ornament on the oncoming big rig?

The first one I more than deserved. I got jobbed on the second one. I went to traffic school on the first and took my lumps on the second. In 27 years of driving, this will be the first ticket to go on my record. :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts