Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopped on the bike today to ride into work. At the first stop light, I realized that I had forgotten a tie. Then I remembered that I had a semi-important lunch, and I would need to at least wear a tie since I would be forgoing my suit jacket. So, I decided I'd stop at Target on the way in and pick up a tie (the only place that sells ties within a reasonable distance along my route).

I get to Target and realize.....no lock. What to do? I wound up stashing my bike behind the cart corrale, and ran in and got a tie. When I got back, my bike was still safe and sound.

So, tonight, I will pour forth libations in honor of the bicylce gods. Thank you for not punishing your absent-minded bicycle commuting subject.

In other news, ties at Target cost $20.00. :(

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Why wouldn't your ties be at work already? Do you wear them otherise?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
what Pablo said

and don't pour out the libations -- the bicycle gods say it's okay if you just drink them.

I forgot to pack a tie on a business trip once. Only realized it when dressing in the morning, and there was absolutely no time to buy one before an important meeting. The bellman at the hotel graciously gave me his nice striped number.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Hopped on the bike today to ride into work. At the first stop light, I realized that I had forgotten a tie. Then I remembered that I had a semi-important lunch, and I would need to at least wear a tie since I would be forgoing my suit jacket. So, I decided I'd stop at Target on the way in and pick up a tie (the only place that sells ties within a reasonable distance along my route).

I get to Target and realize.....no lock. What to do? I wound up stashing my bike behind the cart corrale, and ran in and got a tie. When I got back, my bike was still safe and sound.

So, tonight, I will pour forth libations in honor of the bicylce gods. Thank you for not punishing your absent-minded bicycle commuting subject.

In other news, ties at Target cost $20.00. :(
Getting on soap box:

IMHO, with exception for certain parts of any town, the vast, vast majority of people are good and your bike and maybe even your wallet are safe 99.9% of the time.

If you park your bike in the same exact spot over and over eventually an opportunist will take advantage of the situation. However, the chances someone that is morally corrupt, in need of a bike and bold enough to steal it is there that one time you park it outside Target seems pretty slim.

Ask yourself how many people do you know personally that would have stole that bike if they happened upon it.

I'll also make an exception for very high traffic areas. Not because the people or worse but just because that 0.1% are more likely to wander by.

Getting of my soap box to check my garage, Murphy probably sent someone to clean it out while I was typing.

· Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lifelover said:
Getting on soap box:

IMHO, with exception for certain parts of any town, the vast, vast majority of people are good and your bike and maybe even your wallet are safe 99.9% of the time.

If you park your bike in the same exact spot over and over eventually an opportunist will take advantage of the situation. However, the chances someone that is morally corrupt, in need of a bike and bold enough to steal it is there that one time you park it outside Target seems pretty slim.

Ask yourself how many people do you know personally that would have stole that bike if they happened upon it.

I'll also make an exception for very high traffic areas. Not because the people or worse but just because that 0.1% are more likely to wander by.

Getting of my soap box to check my garage, Murphy probably sent someone to clean it out while I was typing.
My brother had his bike stolen the one time he didn't lock it. How's the view from that soapbox now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.