Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger on a new guitar for my 10 year old this weekend. He got a really good report card recently and has been practicing guitar with his acoustic daily so we figured he was serious enough for the next step--Plus I get to play it when he isn't! ;)

He tried 7-8 different guitars of different styles and we ended up with this chambered telecaster with humbuckers. It's actually a pretty versatile sounding guitar and really light because it's semi-hollow. Resonates really well too. Paired with the Roland Cube 30 it really sounds nice. He likes the Stack model sound with lots of distortion, I like the JC Clean.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Looks like a good choice

Bocephus Jones II said:
Pulled the trigger on a new guitar for my 10 year old this weekend. He got a really good report card recently and has been practicing guitar with his acoustic daily so we figured he was serious enough for the next step--Plus I get to play it when he isn't! ;)

He tried 7-8 different guitars of different styles and we ended up with this chambered telecaster with humbuckers. It's actually a pretty versatile sounding guitar and really light because it's semi-hollow. Resonates really well too. Paired with the Roland Cube 30 it really sounds nice. He likes the Stack model sound with lots of distortion, I like the JC Clean.

You got a Fender company, tele body, semi acoustic solid body, with humbuckers guitar. It seems you found one guitar that contained all of our advice.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turtleherder said:
You got a Fender company, tele body, semi acoustic solid body, with humbuckers guitar. It seems you found one guitar that contained all of our advice.
sh*t...just realized I passed the 11k post mark. :eek:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Looks like a really good choice--light enough to handle easily, with what are likely to be decent pickups. And it looks cool--a real rock guitar.

Say, is this the one with the set neck instead of a bolt-on? That's kind of cool.

I think you made a great choice with the amp, too.

Need to look at your kid's thumb position, though.

Kidding, of course--I have terrible thumb position for the open chords too.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bikeboy389 said:
Looks like a really good choice--light enough to handle easily, with what are likely to be decent pickups. And it looks cool--a real rock guitar.

Say, is this the one with the set neck instead of a bolt-on? That's kind of cool.

I think you made a great choice with the amp, too.

Need to look at your kid's thumb position, though.

Kidding, of course--I have terrible thumb position for the open chords too.
yeah...set in neck, semi hollow body. As far as thumb position he's just messing around here when I took the pix...looks like he might be heading towards a D, but probably just making noise. Taught him how to play the riff from Sabbath's Iron Man--with the amp set on R-Fier stack and the gain turned up it sounded pretty cool.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
My little guy's playing an acoustic that he bought from his uncle. Good grades were a requirement as well. He's got a good ear and is really enjoying it.

Now the advice I need: A friend of his has a nearly destroyed Fender (model???) electric, that they further damaged trying to scrape the paint off with a screwdriver. Now he wants to turn the stripped body (no parts, just a body, neck and head) into a skateboard. I predict It'll be a piece of sculture, rather than a bowl tool.

Question of the day: Any guesses as to how much weight would the neck support? :eek:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thinkcooper said:
My little guy's playing an acoustic that he bought from his uncle. Good grades were a requirement as well. He's got a good ear and is really enjoying it.

Now the advice I need: A friend of his has a nearly destroyed Fender (model???) electric, that they further damaged trying to scrape the paint off with a screwdriver. Now he wants to turn the stripped body (no parts, just a body, neck and head) into a skateboard. I predict It'll be a piece of sculture, rather than a bowl tool.

Question of the day: Any guesses as to how much weight would the neck support? :eek:
I hope that was one of those $100 Squiers and not a real Fender! :eek: I doubt that it would be much more than a novelty--the neck would be too thick and too narrow for a skateboard...might be able to make a board out of the body if it's a solid body--trucks will not be wide enough though--would have to cut it all up and then it's gonna be too thick there as well to provide any flex...

// How about creating some kind of sculpture out of it? Or is it too far gone already?:confused:

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I hope that was one of those $100 Squiers and not a real Fender! :eek: I doubt that it would be much more than a novelty--the neck would be too thick and too narrow for a skateboard...might be able to make a board out of the body if it's a solid body--trucks will not be wide enough though--would have to cut it all up and then it's gonna be too thick there as well to provide any flex...

// How about creating some kind of sculpture out of it? Or is it too far gone already?:confused:
I'm pretty sure it's a real Fender. At least that's what's stamped on the chrome neck bolt plate on the back of the body. And it's pretty far gone. It'll definately be a novelty only.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
thinkcooper said:

Not going to support much weight at all--the necks are built to flex a little under the loading of the strings--so it won't take a whole lot more weight than that. You maybe could look up aggregate string tension online, maybe, to get a base figure.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Not going to support much weight at all--the necks are built to flex a little under the loading of the strings--so it won't take a whole lot more weight than that. You maybe could look up aggregate string tension online, maybe, to get a base figure.
I think I'll need to fab up a steel frame that goes underneath the body and the full neck length, with a bracket at each end to hold the trucks, to make the guitar-board a little more functional.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Congrats. Looks like your son's got ggod taste in guitars.
That guitar'll likely be versatile enough to do most anything well.

I knew you wouldn't be able to wait.

Oh, and Turn it up!!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
I don't know anything about music or guitars, but I think that if someone is interested in something special, it's up to us as parents to give them a chance (like you and KenB, whose daughter recently got a telescope for her interest in astronomy). Nice going BJ.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jptaylorsg said:
Congrats. Looks like your son's got ggod taste in guitars.
That guitar'll likely be versatile enough to do most anything well.

I knew you wouldn't be able to wait.

Oh, and Turn it up!!
Yeah...wife OKed it and we surprised him at the music store...had the guy wrap it up while he was playing some other guitars...he was pretty blown away.

// Note: The Grateful Dead's Box of rain sounds weird played through a distorted stack! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts