Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a Trek hybrid for about 5 years. I have been given a 15 year old Trek road bike and need some advice on handling it. The brakes seem to be in a very difficult place to use them, on thes drop down handle bars. I see riders holding on to the top of the bars, and is seems like it takes too long th move from the top to the break. Do I just need practice? Is there an accessory that moves the brake handles to the top bar? Sorry for the dumb question. I have a few more I'm afraid.
thanks,
Boddie

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
Welcome aboard! If I understand this correctly, sounds like you're just getting used to the different position that a rider assumes on a road bike compared to being more upright on a hybrid. It might just be a matter of getting adjusted to the differences in the designs and frame geometries. But it might also be a situation where you have not been fitted properly on the road bike. It might be worth taking it to a bike shop where they can help you with that....making sure the saddle is at the right height, the reach of the handlebars is right for you, etc. Once you get dialed in with the right fit, you should find riding the road bike much more comfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you are dead on right. The difference form the straight bars to the dropped bars is totally different. I took it by my bike shop and replaced both tubes and had them show me how the shifters worked. The guy I got if from and I are about the same size. He is perhaps two inches taller. I think I have the seat adjusted correctly. I guess I just need to ride it to get used to it.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
it may be that your road bike brake levers are just not mounted high enough for you to "ride the hoods" as this pic shows:

when i first began road cycling as an adult, i would brake from the drops as shown here:

so i liked my levers lower where they were easier to reach from the drops.

but now i am "on the hoods" about 70 percent of the time and mount my brakes higher so they are more comfortable. i can still get to them in an emergency from the drops, but i really never brake from there anymore.

after getting used to riding the hoods, i have become much more comfortable to brake from there. i have also found braking from the hoods to be safer and slows me much more quickly. i can sit up more and use my body to become less aerodynamic. i can also put more weight on the rear of the bike in case i need to brake quickly in an emergency. braking from the drops simply takes longer for me to stop and feels like i am in less control.

Reactions: Coolhand

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not aware the brake levers could be moved. I just looked at mine and they are placed on the very end of the bend in the bars. Sorry I don't yet know the technical terms of the different parts of the bars. What are the " hoods"? I think I know where the " drops" are ...the very bottom of the bars, right? I took a photo, but don't see where or how to post it. Thanks for the idea of moving the levers though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ha. That was very helpful. Now I see how adjusting the levers could make it much safer and more comfortable. I had not tried holding on just above the levers. Thank you again, very helpful.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Moving the levers requires a bit of work - unwrapping the bar, loosening, repositioning, tightening, rewrapping that bar. For a novice, all of those steps are very easy... except the last one. I'd first make sure the levers are in the "wrong" location before moving anything. Rotating the bar up and down is an option... to a degree. But again - let's see where things are now.

To post a pic...
- Take a pic
- Upload the pic to a host, e.g. photobucket.com
- Copy the pic address
- Type this:
on either side of the pic address - no spaces - and the pic will appear in your post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I am using an I-pad and it dosent seem to give me a "pic address". I'm not very computer literate ( 78 years old ) so not sure how to put up the photo. I'll try you rider od rotating the bar before I un tape and try to move the levers. Thanks again.
Gary

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
as noted above, the best way to post a photo is to host it first on a photo sharing site like flickr, but you can also directly upload a stored photo to this site from your device using the picture icon right above the text editor window (towards the right). the icon looks like a little tree in a square, left of the film/video icon.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thanks. I am using an I-pad and it dosent seem to give me a "pic address". I'm not very computer literate ( 78 years old ) so not sure how to put up the photo. I'll try you rider od rotating the bar before I un tape and try to move the levers. Thanks again.
Gary
Welcome to the forum Gary! You may want to give TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting a try, I find it easier than photobucket.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Text Line Font Colorfulness Azure
3rd icon from right. As said, tree in a square? Tap it and choose upload then camera roll. Then tap upload. Then wait. After it fails to work try again. Repeat 2 more times until it works and posts your picture upside down. Try in vain to fix that.

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
Gary
Holy cow....you're 78 y.o.? It's fantastic that not only are you still riding but you're trying out a totally different kind of bike. Good for you! I can only hope that I'm doing the same when I reach your age. :)

By the way, are you single? My 79 y.o. mom is too..... :D

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,434 Posts

Yikes! If you are used to riding a hybrid, those bars are adjusted very low. Forget about moving the hoods. The easiest way to get the hoods higher is to loosen the stem bolts and flip the whole bar upward. The only thing that may hinder you with this is if the cable housings are too short.

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
I wonder if you are looking for in-line levers like on a cyclocross bike. Google cyclocross brake levers and see what you think.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,434 Posts
I wonder if you are looking for in-line levers like on a cyclocross bike. Google cyclocross brake levers and see what you think.

You could very well go this route. This would give you the option of using two different sets of levers depending on conditions. Being able to have brakes available for two different hand positions also enables you to change hand positions to prevent fatigue or numbness.

This is what they look like on the bike:

https://mostlyblackandwhite.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/the-giant-grim-reaper/

These are made by All-City and are a good ergonomic version:

All-City Cross Levers > Components > Brakes > Road Brake Levers | Jenson USA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, yea married for over 60 years...( not to the same lady you understand, but 60 years. 35 years this time around 😀😀😀 )

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
View attachment 315776
3rd icon from right. As said, tree in a square? Tap it and choose upload then camera roll. Then tap upload. Then wait. After it fails to work try again. Repeat 2 more times until it works and posts your picture upside down. Try in vain to fix that.
i used it today for three photos taken and uploaded on my android phone, and it worked like a charm.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts