Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garmin silently turned off the Classic view this past week (3/10), forcing all logins to redirect to the Modern view.

While the new view features cleaner graphics and IMHO, better activity drill-down with overlays etc., they've removed some core functions that many of us used.

The Reporting capability is now reduced to a Strava-like bar graph, gone is the ability to customize reports for last year/month/week and custom dates. Also gone is the ability to keep a running total e.g. last 30 days, which I used all the time.

To add insult to injury, it appears the Mods have been instructed to delete complaint threads on the support forum.

Nice work Garmin. Give the customers what they want.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Connect has always been a half broken Strava wanna-be. Feature sparse and slow as molasses.Never used the site as anything more than a front-end to upload to Strava.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Garmin's web UI and programming is junk.

Fortunately there is no need to ever use Garmin Connect. You don't need it to download rides, analyze rides or even to update the firmware.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Garmin's web UI and programming is junk.

Fortunately there is no need to ever use Garmin Connect. You don't need it to download rides, analyze rides or even to update the firmware.
can you wirelessly transfer the data some other way?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
can you wirelessly transfer the data some other way?
Where are you wanting the data to go?

Strava can be configured to pull your data uploads automagically. If you have a wifi capable Edge like the 1000, it will automagically upload and be on Strava after your ride without plugging in.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Where are you wanting the data to go?

Strava can be configured to pull your data uploads automagically. If you have a wifi capable Edge like the 1000, it will automagically upload and be on Strava after your ride without plugging in.
It's interesting how on some occasions my ride will be on Strava before it appears on Connect...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Garmin silently turned off the Classic view this past week (3/10), forcing all logins to redirect to the Modern view.

The Reporting capability is now reduced to a Strava-like bar graph, gone is the ability to customize reports for last year/month/week and custom dates. Also gone is the ability to keep a running total e.g. last 30 days, which I used all the time.
The Classic style progress summary reports are still available - last option in the reports menu.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

While the new view features cleaner graphics and IMHO, better activity drill-down with overlays etc., they've removed some core functions that many of us used.
Sounds like Apple after OS X 10.6.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Connect has always been a half broken Strava wanna-be. Feature sparse and slow as molasses.Never used the site as anything more than a front-end to upload to Strava.
I certainly agree it's not great, but it covered the basics for those of us not interested in chasing segments and KOM's.

I've also found the Bluetooth upload and TrainingPeaks sync very convenient, which AFAIK, none of which Strava can do without bridging through Garmin Connect.

The Classic style progress summary reports are still available - last option in the reports menu.
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup: I found the Progress Summary buried at the end of the list when Reports is in full-page mode. Still trying to figure out how to make a 'widget' out of it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yeah. Been using GC since 2010 and it's where all my historic data is. It's always been kinda carpy but its basic functionality was enough for my purposes, though there were many instances where features would be get broken, then repaired, then broken again (not unlike the device's firmware). My problem with Modern and Garmin Express is that it automatically updates firmware whether you want to or not, and you can't decide which rides you upload to which accounts if you use a single device with multiple GC accounts... search out of the activities screen has been broken for some time too, like a year or something. The workaround for automatic updates and using multiple accounts is to uninstall GE and use manual uploads to GC.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...My problem with Modern and Garmin Express is that it automatically updates firmware whether you want to or not, and you can't decide which rides you upload to which accounts if you use a single device with multiple GC accounts... search out of the activities screen has been broken for some time too, like a year or something. The workaround for automatic updates and using multiple accounts is to uninstall GE and use manual uploads to GC.
I hear ya. GE fell out of favor with me when I got my 810 last summer. I was previously using GE to update my (auto) Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT (which still works great), but after adding my 810, it forced some updates that led to problems.

I want to decide when and which 810 updates I take, so the simple remedy was to remove my 810 as a device in GE and voila! Sounds like GC Modern has reinstated this - it's currently nagging me about an available update.

Call me paranoid, but I try to avoid connecting my 810 to my laptop (with GE installed). Bluetooth sync is great, but I store maps and activities on an SD card and simply plug that into my laptop when I want to do something.

Sounds like I can do most of what I want with Modern, but I don't view it as an improvement.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I always upload my Edge510 wirelessly that way I never have to risk GC upgrading my software with crap I don't want. I only upgrade my Edge using the Garmin Web Updater tool.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Just got back from a ride. Garmin Connect is barely functional. Starve has everything on it already and (as always) works like a charm. Garmin has become a real bummer.
Im getting a red bar that says its down for maintenance when I try to get my 510 to sync with my phone. But my ride is on Strava? How is that possible? It's great, but how? And maintenance in the middle of a Sunday?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not sure how Garmin manage to screw up the UI so bad.

It does make me want to look at other computer options when my 800 goes into retirement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess I'm done with garmin connect. The main feature I would frequently use was creating a customized report. Now your only option is 7 day, 4 week, or 1 year. Meh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts