Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upper back screaming
ass hurts
legs aflame
feeeeeet cramping
hands permanenet claws
helmet hair
salt-caked bibs
smelly jersey
smelly sox
smelly car
smelly bicycle
happy J's

massive thanks to the great handsome one for getting me out on the bike today, after weeks of prodding and missed rides. after our 19 mile ride, my yearly mileage has doubled.

:p :D :eek:

you're a good friend. with nice bikes. and beer. ;)
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
upper back screaming
ass hurts
legs aflame
feeeeeet cramping
hands permanenet claws
helmet hair
salt-caked bibs
smelly jersey
smelly sox
smelly car
smelly bicycle
happy J's

massive thanks to the great handsome one for getting me out on the bike today, after weeks of prodding and missed rides. after our 19 mile ride, my yearly mileage has doubled.

:p :D :eek:

you're a good friend. with nice bikes. and beer. ;)
19??, we need to get you out on some of the 50-70 mile excursions we've been doing lately up here.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
physasst said:
19??, we need to get you out on some of the 50-70 mile excursions we've been doing lately up here.
70? i was lucky to ride nearly 20 at something like 15mph (??). it was very nice to "get back on the horse" with a friend, though. i haven't wanted to ride for some time, and gave it up almost completely after having my heart ripped directly from my chest last autumn.

riding a bit in a wee headwind (out AND back) and realizing the atrophy in my legs and etc has me giddy. fella, from a guy who rode a 400k at about 18 mph a few years ago, that's a kick in the yarbles (sorry yarbler).

i used to be a monster on the bike. then i was just a monster. now, ???

we'll see. i'm already considering riding on tuesday, which is the next opportunity.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Well...

haiku d'etat said:
70? i was lucky to ride nearly 20 at something like 15mph (??). it was very nice to "get back on the horse" with a friend, though. i haven't wanted to ride for some time, and gave it up almost completely after having my heart ripped directly from my chest last autumn.

riding a bit in a wee headwind (out AND back) and realizing the atrophy in my legs and etc has me giddy. fella, from a guy who rode a 400k at about 18 mph a few years ago, that's a kick in the yarbles (sorry yarbler).

i used to be a monster on the bike. then i was just a monster. now, ???

we'll see. i'm already considering riding on tuesday, which is the next opportunity.

Time to drag that sorry carcass back onto the bike....don't make me come down there and kick your a*s......What's this with your heart?
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
physasst said:
Time to drag that sorry carcass back onto the bike....don't make me come down there and kick your a*s......What's this with your heart?
it was broken....no....torn apart last year by the love of my life. a pro chef, dog lover, vegetarian, ultracyclist, i could go on and on...couldn't have drawn her better.

i can't look at my fixed gear bicycle or listen to jeff buckley or tori amos anymore.

anybody want to buy a 56cm surly steamroller frame/fork/headset cheap?

now, back to the matter at hand, wonder if i can get through this 19 mile thing and back to something else. whatever else.......has GOT to be better than this.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Remember

haiku d'etat said:
it was broken....no....torn apart last year by the love of my life. a pro chef, dog lover, vegetarian, ultracyclist, i could go on and on...couldn't have drawn her better.

i can't look at my fixed gear bicycle or listen to jeff buckley or tori amos anymore.

anybody want to buy a 56cm surly steamroller frame/fork/headset cheap?

now, back to the matter at hand, wonder if i can get through this 19 mile thing and back to something else. whatever else.......has GOT to be better than this.

why you started riding in the first place, remember how great it felt to cross the finish line in your first cross race......remember the beautiful scenery, the comraderie, the chicks with TIGHT shorts and sports bras, and most of all, at least for me, that silent place you go to.......you know what I'm talking about...when you and the road and nature and the miles all become one.......distance begins to lack meaning, and the only sound you hear is the gentle cry of the wind and you feel more alive than at any other time in your life.....Don't remember the heartaches, remember that pure unadulterated joy, remember the excitement..........you can do it brother, I have faith in ya.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chutes and ladders.

long climb up, quick slide down.

and the funny thing is, though i been SMOKING, it's my legs that are suffering. not my lungs. (yet.)

thanks bro.
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ps. i love you, bald moreon.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Yeah..

haiku d'etat said:
ps. i love you, bald moreon.

I love you too, now GET YOUR A*S BACK ON THAT BIKE......I swear to god, don't make me drive down there and drag you around...
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
physasst said:
I love you too, now GET YOUR A*S BACK ON THAT BIKE......I swear to god, don't make me drive down there and drag you around...
/submits ;)
 

·
I'm not like anyone else
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Dude... welcome back to the bike.

Still off myself cause I'm trying to "get the FOOD" (get the f- outa dodge)

Drool when I see my rides, cry whern I walk past on the way.

Oh, the smell of stinlky sox, a wet saddle, the dribble of the H2O bottles on the BB, what's better?

Put last fall in the past, hang onto the the steam! I'll buy only if you promise to keep it and ride it.

Your heart IS healing... no doubt! Let it!

The better will come... when you decide what it is!

See you soon... on the same road!

Cheers,

EDB
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,207 Posts
physasst said:
19??, we need to get you out on some of the 50-70 mile excursions we've been doing lately up here.
Dude, we are not all type A "gotta do more now now now" types! NTTAWWT). We managed a bit over 10 today, but that is after several hours of gardening. I think I am somewhere above 100 miles for the year now, and it has been slow. Here's my ususal "goals" for the year.

April. Ride the bike.

Ride more than two hours on a ride by the start of May. I think we will pull this off sometime this week.

Throughout May, keep riding and get up to 3 hours sometime. Throw in some hills and perhaps venture into the big ring. MTB some.

June. Ride, start to feel like I might just be, not in shape, but able to see shape far, far away on the horizon.

Mid june, drive across country, MTB in the Black Hills a couple of days at 5k feet. Recall that climbing a thousand feet of vertical at once is NOTHING like doing 100 feet 10 times during a ride. Feel bad. Continue on to Tahoe and feel worse, but on much more technical trails and much higher altitude. Have lots of fun, try not to require medivac.

July, return home (after perhaps a swing through CO... Crested Butte BABY!). Feel REALLY strong on the flats with plenty of oxygen to breathe.

Rest of year. Ride. When the colors turn in the north, go ride there. Follow the color south. Sometime in October, stop riding.

Repeat until death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
upper back screaming
ass hurts
legs aflame
feeeeeet cramping
hands permanenet claws
helmet hair
salt-caked bibs
smelly jersey
smelly sox
smelly car
smelly bicycle
happy J's

massive thanks to the great handsome one for getting me out on the bike today, after weeks of prodding and missed rides. after our 19 mile ride, my yearly mileage has doubled.

:p :D :eek:

you're a good friend. with nice bikes. and beer. ;)
Just got done with dinner with the fam and parentals. Pops is a demon on the grill, those pork chops kicked ass.

Anyway, no thanks necessary.... it was beautiful out today and it was nice to see that Gunnar get put to use. Seriously dude, a couple more weeks of riding and you will feel like a million bucks.

You are welcome to ride with me anytime, and I always will have a cold beer in the fridge waiting for ya. Thanks again for the ride and I hope to see you Tuesday at 6pm sharp :D
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,400 Posts
Remenber, Pain= Good. More Pain= More good. Pain in your body is much better than pain in your heart. The more your body hurts, the less you can think of other things.
You can get into somewhat decent shape in four weeks. Burning lungs and legs can cure all sorts of problems. Heart or head.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
dr hoo said:
Dude, we are not all type A "gotta do more now now now" types! NTTAWWT). We managed a bit over 10 today, but that is after several hours of gardening. I think I am somewhere above 100 miles for the year now, and it has been slow. Here's my ususal "goals" for the year.

April. Ride the bike.

Ride more than two hours on a ride by the start of May. I think we will pull this off sometime this week.

Throughout May, keep riding and get up to 3 hours sometime. Throw in some hills and perhaps venture into the big ring. MTB some.

June. Ride, start to feel like I might just be, not in shape, but able to see shape far, far away on the horizon.

Mid june, drive across country, MTB in the Black Hills a couple of days at 5k feet. Recall that climbing a thousand feet of vertical at once is NOTHING like doing 100 feet 10 times during a ride. Feel bad. Continue on to Tahoe and feel worse, but on much more technical trails and much higher altitude. Have lots of fun, try not to require medivac.

July, return home (after perhaps a swing through CO... Crested Butte BABY!). Feel REALLY strong on the flats with plenty of oxygen to breathe.

Rest of year. Ride. When the colors turn in the north, go ride there. Follow the color south. Sometime in October, stop riding.

Repeat until death.

I'm not implying that anyone should be like me, type A....Shite, I'm a type 6A.....to the max, I have so many things going on sometimes that I can barely keep track of them. I just agreed this am to give 8 lectures at the U to the PA students on Emergency Medicine topics-in one month. WHAT I was implying was that giving up something you love because of a chica IS NOT cool. Teh J's used to talk so passionately about cross racing and riding, and I'm just trying to motivate him to get back into the saddle. Life is about passion.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top