Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this article: In the Company of Givers and Takers - Harvard Business Review which questions whether you are a "Giver" or a "Taker" at work. I immediately though of the late, GREAT Sheldon Brown. This guy was the ultimate GIVER, and as a result helped others to be more effective.

His website is still a constant reference for me: Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

And he happens to have over 2000 posts here: Bike Forums
(& started threads: Bike Forums )

So thanks Sheldon, we never met, but I appreciate you still.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yea, never met him, but i loved his ideas. He was quite creative, sometimes a bit overly so (see his bike with two different handlebars) lol lol

To this day I try each day to give good solid advice that will help others find what they need.
Bill

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
RIP Sheldon. I miss the nostalgic quirky factor in bike design nowadays!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
He was not just a genius bicycle mechanic/philosopher, either. He was a renaissance man, with wide interests, technical, musical, literary, etc. His personal web pages on other aspects of his life were very much worth reading. From all accounts, he was a mensch; kind and decent as well as intelligent and funny.

And the way he faced his last illness, with grace and courage and humor and even joy, should be an inspiration to everyone.

It's hard to believe it's been more than five years since he died.

·
Still Here
180 Posts
He was not just a genius bicycle mechanic/philosopher, either. He was a renaissance man, with wide interests, technical, musical, literary, etc. His personal web pages on other aspects of his life were very much worth reading. From all accounts, he was a mensch; kind and decent as well as intelligent and funny.

And the way he faced his last illness, with grace and courage and humor and even joy, should be an inspiration to everyone.

It's hard to believe it's been more than five years since he died.
It has been? Time goes way to fast!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sheldon Brown was a great human being. His website is still a treasure of information. When I started using it I didn't even know he was already dead. It was quite sad to find out someone I didn't know, but gave me so much died, when I finally found out. Good to see people still think of him. He deserves it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Certainly many consider him a friend who never had the chance to meet the man, myself included. His webpage is an unsurpassed resource of cycling history and how-to. The format of the site has recently changed, though, and not for the better.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have considered Sheldon's site an essential resource for many years. My former dentist was just down the street from Harris Cyclery and the crew there (everyone, not just Sheldon) were always bery helpful. Still sre actually, as I was in the area just last week and stopped in for some parts. I saw him in the shop a few times, but honestly can't recall whether I ever introduced myself or not. Anyhow, a great man and ambassador of cycling.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember being very surprised when I heard that Sheldon died. It had seemed to me that just up to that point he was active on the forums and describing his own riding and bike building. I think he will always be a mythical figure in my mind (we never met in person). Especially when I calculate gear ratios!

·
Registered
269 Posts
He seemed like a real nice guy and answered my emails promptly.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Sheldon should be canonized. St. Sheldon. Amen.
I don't think he'll be canonized. Ever read Sheldon Browns homepage?

Sheldon Brown's Home Page

Scroll down and read his things he doesn't believe in

Faith, God, and Intelligent design are probably three big things to be canonized.

However he did sound like a great person and eager to help anyone. I'll go with Sir Sheldon. Hear, Hear.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
...So thanks Sheldon, we never met, but I appreciate you still.
+1
Here here !
Thanks for reminding me of the man.

Agent319 said:
Scroll down and read his things he doesn't believe in...
I like him even better now !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.