Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just want to thank all of y'all who have responded to my last two threads re: my weekly training crit series (blowin up and breakaways). the advice you guys gave me has really been paying off.

this week (after last weeks break of 11 that stayed away) i kept myself near the front pretty much the entire race and went on a few breaks, bridged up to a few, and even started one of my own when the pace slowed way down. i did a fair amount of work, but didn't over extend myself as i allowed myself time to recover both in the pack (near the front but not taking pulls) and also once the breaks started getting pulled back. i went in to the race feeling like crap, having slept all day yesterday, and my legs didnt feel fresh at all, even after a day off. i got a cramp in lap 11. regardless, i came in 3rd on one of the sprint laps taking some points early (preems were 4 deep) i tried for another one later but was 7th. i wasnt really in a good position to go for it and decided to go for it kinda last minute. in the end i found mself getting that adrenaline rush that comes on at the start of the last lap (for me at least) where i stop feeling the aches and pains and start going. 1000m from the finish i was at the back of the single row that was leading the pack. at 500m i was on the back of one of the teams leadout trains (there were two). at 250m two riders in front of me touched wheels and had a scare, but stayed up. i momentarily stoppped pedaling and slowed to get around them, costing me perhaps a better finish than the one i recorded. I came around that mess to see one rider just ahead of me and a few up the road out of reach with a sprint (im a climber through and through, my sprint is awful). i decided to go for it, dropped the hammer, passed that rider and caught the riders up the road, passing the back one just before the line, good for a 6th place finish, less than two bike legnths out of a win. i don't think i had would it took for a top 3 even, but maybe top 5 was in reach if not for the slowdown earlier.

all in all, 6th is my best finish ever, and i took some points earlier. it was by far my best race ever, i did a fair bit of work, raced agressivly, and still took a good finish. and i beat quite a few cat 4's, which while it means nothing cause this is a training crit, always feels good.

so...........

THANKS EVERYONE :thumbsup:

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Schaweeet! Congrats on the strong finish. Sounds like you're learning a lot from rbr and initially applying it in the right place - training crits (Bethel?). Keep up the good work and now start applying what works for you in real races. Any this weekend?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes bethel.

unfortunately no real races this weekend, i have to go down to DC for my internship to finish up a project im working on. no more real races for me this year i think. im supposed to finish my project tuesday, and then go up to cape cod to live and work for the rest of the summer till school. i may do one or two if i can get some days off and drive down into mass from the cape. who knows

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.