Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be in LA (Rancho Palos Verdes) for Thanksgiving and the following week, looking for tips on road bike rentals; preferably local shops or those within short driving distance.

Looking into local (shop) rides, anyone here familiar with the Donut ride? I can hang-on at 18-20 average with some hills, but concerned that it might be a drop-ride hammerfest.

I'm also hoping to get up GMR to Mt Baldy village. Any other "must-do" rides within driving distance?

TIA.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm more familiar with the rides starting from Santa Monica / West LA, so here goes:
* Sunday - Nichols Canyon Ride | Velo Club La Grange - this is a hammerfest that breaks up into groups, but a pretty famous West LA ride
* On Saturdays, groups usually meet at San Vicente & Ocean Blvd (Brentwood / Santa Monica) starting around 8am for rides going up PCH and over one of the canyon roads (e.g., Topanga, Old Topanga, Latigo, etc.)
* Here's info on rides around PV - https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/south-bay-rides/

Have a great time

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you're planning on Baldy climb then maybe consider hwy 39 out of Asuza up to Crystal Lake. Start at the reservoir w/junction E Fork Rd. I thought it was better quality than Baldy climb. There's also lots of steep climbing in the Santa Monica mtns too. Slightly nutty but worth doing once - La Tuna cyn road. reminds me of mini Mt. washington climb. It's one way going down. I rode up it. Few cars and nobody seemed to care. There's also Mt. Wilson out of Burbank - a long shallow climb to good summit (smog permitting). lighter fare - Griffith park with some short climbs and has a good cycling scene. Have fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts