Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this Basso frame from my local performancebike store at a great price. It is replacing a Raleigh frame with a crack that I just found out. I have my trusted friend to guard the frame while I do some early X-mas shopping. Can't wait to work on this tonight!!!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Nice one. Looks like you got 2 for the price with one. The dog came with it too? :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to swap the component over from the other bike but I am having trouble looking for a headset for this. The bottom bearing seems to be bad and no one seems to know that type of intergrated bearing. brought the frame over to the bike store and they haven't seen this type of head tube with this headset. The headset I will need is mede by microtech. Anyone know where I can get a set?? There seems to be no Basso dealers in the US and I did e-mail Basso,I guess I have to wait from them. I really don't want to return the frame because of the price I got it for and since performance had the frame for a few years it was on a mager's special and they don't really know too much about the frame.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
FSA has a pretty good .pdf of the various headsets they make and what's different about them. Likely you'll find a compatable headset there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help I called enduro and left a voicemail hopefully the bearings are the 6806s I am looking for. In the mean time I guess the dog has to stay guard the frame until I get the bearing for it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, if that has the same Microtech headset as my Reef, then the bearing is a 6086, which is a standard industrial grade bearing - you can get it from a bearing house or Enduro. They will get munged up if they are not pressed onto the fork in the correct way (i.e. don't press on the outer race alone). Mine has worked fine for a few years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jmoryl said:
Yes, if that has the same Microtech headset as my Reef, then the bearing is a 6086, which is a standard industrial grade bearing - you can get it from a bearing house or Enduro. They will get munged up if they are not pressed onto the fork in the correct way (i.e. don't press on the outer race alone). Mine has worked fine for a few years.

So should I press the bearing onto the fork first and then to the frame or the other way around??

·
Registered
919 Posts
The way I do it is this:

Have the lower bearing pressed onto the fork crown. Have the other bearing pressed into the top of the headtube. Insert fork into headtube (the lower bearing will not go into the frame because it is an interference fit). Add the rest of the headset bits, including expansion plug, spacers (if any) and stem (do not tighten). Now put on the top cap and begin to tighten - this should pull the lower bearing up into the lower headtube bearing seat. When you have seated the lower bearing, adjust the headset as usual for an integrated setup.

When you want to remove, take off the stem and upper headset bits and tap the steerer with a rubber mallet. This will drive the fork out (bearing should remain on the fork crown.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keppler said:
Hey finally another Basso owner. What year is the frame? Have you weighed it?
I think it is a 2003. The frame weight over 1500grams and the microtec carbon fork weights over 500 grams. I gonna try to see if I can put another fork in there that weights a little less. Right now I just want to get the headset going. Whoever tried to install the headset at performance mess up the lower bearing. I ordered a set hopfully I'll get it by the end of the week. I want to thank jmoryl on telling me how to install the lower bearing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jmoryl said:
The way I do it is this:

Have the lower bearing pressed onto the fork crown. Have the other bearing pressed into the top of the headtube. Insert fork into headtube (the lower bearing will not go into the frame because it is an interference fit). Add the rest of the headset bits, including expansion plug, spacers (if any) and stem (do not tighten). Now put on the top cap and begin to tighten - this should pull the lower bearing up into the lower headtube bearing seat. When you have seated the lower bearing, adjust the headset as usual for an integrated setup.

When you want to remove, take off the stem and upper headset bits and tap the steerer with a rubber mallet. This will drive the fork out (bearing should remain on the fork crown.

Hope this helps.
Hey Jmoryl since you are one of the few who has deal with this microtech headset, I try to press as much as I can but there is still a little gap on the lower head tube. I was wondering is your flash in with the frame??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nope, I don't get such a large gap: mine is very close. Have you tried tapping the fork out and reinstalling? I put a light coat of grease on the cup and bearing to ease the installation. Be careful if you decide to ride it like that because hammering from bumps might cause it to seat further (i.e. carry some allen keys for possible stem/headset adjustments).

Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmoryl said:
Nope, I don't get such a large gap: mine is very close. Have you tried tapping the fork out and reinstalling? I put a light coat of grease on the cup and bearing to ease the installation. Be careful if you decide to ride it like that because hammering from bumps might cause it to seat further (i.e. carry some allen keys for possible stem/headset adjustments).

Good luck,
Joe

Thanks for the tip. When I press the bottom bearing in there somehow it got too tight and when I push the fork back out the bear doesn't move anymore because of the tight squeeze. What I did was try to sand the inside of the bottom head tube a liitle and I was able to do press the bearing in there and now it work great!! Thanks alot for your help I almost finish building it tonight.

·
cycling as lifestyle
472 Posts
jmoryl said:
The way I do it is this:

Hope this helps.
Yes, and I confirm this is the proper way to do it. And yes, the bearings should be 6806. And the top of the headset from Pinarello should work, don't forget there is also a metal plate that should go onto the fork before you put the lower bearing. Try getting complete Pinarello headset, you might have to grind this lower plate a little, but it will work. I've seen it done.

·
cycling as lifestyle
472 Posts
Glad you got it to work. You didn't really have to sand anytihng, grease should have done the job, but I don't think it will hurt. Let's see the bike.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everything is just about done. I got to install the computer and the cable ends. after that I'll take for some test rides and make sure it's the way I like it. I did sand the inside of the head tube other wise everytime I try to press a bearing in there it will squeeze the bearing and ruin it.Right now the headset is turning very smooth. the bike looks great can't wait to test ride it. Sorry for the bad pics it's a little dark outside.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts