Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some identification.

I bought some cheap carbon clinchers on ebay that developed a rattle after about 700 miles, both front and back wheels. I pulled the rim tape and was able to pull out what you see in the photo below. The larger piece is from the front tire.

Any idea what the two metal bits are? I am guessing a broken off spoke nipple and a dropped washer?

I checked all the spokes, attachments, and looked for any stress or cracking and found nothing. Any theories how it got in there?

Overall the wheels have been great and I don't regret the purchase at all, I knew what I was getting into :)

(oh yea, the valve cap was just for scale)

· Registered
3,270 Posts
My thought too. Bet those are a PITA to chase around in those deep rims and, if you get paid based on the stack of wheels by your bench at the end of the day, you aren't going to spend too much time fishing them out.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike T. said:
A spoke nipple and a nipple seat washer. They got away from the wheelbuilder and they didn't bother to retrieve them. Maybe if I was earning Chinese sweatshop wages I wouldn't bother either.
Thats what I figured, and thats what I would do too. Other than that the wheels have been sweet. There is a web address on the hubs from, what i am guessing, is the original manufacturer, http://gotiquebike.com/

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ljfran2383 said:
Interesting. more details on the wheels please.

I quess you get what you pay for with labor. I still can't imagine how someone could drop that in there and just think its fine to leave it.
I bought them on ebay from a guy out of Texas who was potentially starting a component company. They were a demo set that had about 100 miles on them. The wheel is a 38 mm full carbon clincher, 20 and 24 spoke count, and I have no idea about the hubs. They have worked great so far, I have about 700 miles on them, and plenty light enough for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.