Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year around February or March I get a saddle sore in the same old predictable spot. In the past I have been able to soothe the evil beast and quell the pain in a few days via the usual remedies. For six weeks this instance would not subside no matter what, and I had to have my doctor intervene with her novocaine and scalpel. :mad: All better now, and I will ride again this weekend!:)

·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
yowch!

I'm assuming you've double-checked fit, done your core strength, stretching etc?
Indeed. Stretching and weights, can't run due to some ligering foot issues, but the eliptical machine has been getting its fair share of use to keep the cardio in check.
But the ride is on this weekend!

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Besides your seat height, check your fore/aft/knees over the pedals. It's likely you're squirming/scooting on the saddle in a very subtle fashion which causes the friction which causes the sore.

It did for me. The cure was to stop setting my saddle fully rearward, which was the apparent cause of my saddle sores for decades. Since I've gone to setting my knees over the pedal spindle, which required moving my saddle from the fully rearward position to approximately mid-rail, I've not had another saddle sore. I knew I was scooting forward on the saddle a little bit every pedal stroke or so but it was so minor as to be ignored for so long. Who'd a thunk?

·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much appreciated advice. I've always just winged it with my fit, using the "if the knee slightly bent at the full downstroke of the pedal method". I may need more bend in my knee. My first ride back is going to be a tinkering with seat height experiment.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I don't know if you're male or female. I might make a difference. You might want to try a new saddle or two, or three. Most bike stores will let you ride one for a couple of days to a week, to see if it suits you. If it doesn't, they'll let you return or exchange it.

Forgive me if you're already doing this, but I've found that lubrication e.g. Vaseline, Chamois Bttr, etc. adds a lot of protection. On any ride 25 mi or more I ALWAYS wear it. You might try scooting back on the seat, or moving the seat slightly forward so that you're sitting on your sit bones instead of soft tissue. When I ride I always ride a little off center on the saddle, never exactly down the center line. If I start hurting on the left side, I switch to the right side. I find this is easy to do.

Hope this helps you.

·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
I don't know if you're male or female. I might make a difference. You might want to try a new saddle or two, or three. Most bike stores will let you ride one for a couple of days to a week, to see if it suits you. If it doesn't, they'll let you return or exchange it.

Forgive me if you're already doing this, but I've found that lubrication e.g. Vaseline, Chamois Bttr, etc. adds a lot of protection. On any ride 25 mi or more I ALWAYS wear it. You might try scooting back on the seat, or moving the seat slightly forward so that you're sitting on your sit bones instead of soft tissue. When I ride I always ride a little off center on the saddle, never exactly down the center line. If I start hurting on the left side, I switch to the right side. I find this is easy to do.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks, I've also been looking for the perfect saddle, i have six bikes, and my main ride has a Terry Fly. It's the best I've tried. This sadle sore issue usually resolves itself after a few days to a week, this time it just devolved into something so ugly I could not help it. I have been use chamois cream on longer rides, but from now on I will use it every time. I am big man at 6' 250 and when that weight comes off around June it also takes some of the pressure off the soft tissue area. Time to ride.......

·
Registered
238 Posts
Find a good crotch lube that works for you and apply liberally! Once I'm into the heat of training, it's as essential as my gloves and helmet. If I forget to use it, I'm left with a painful reminder at the end of that ride.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh, that saddle

HOOKEM said:
Thanks, I've also been looking for the perfect saddle, i have six bikes, and my main ride has a Terry Fly. It's the best I've tried. This sadle sore issue usually resolves itself after a few days to a week, this time it just devolved into something so ugly I could not help it. I have been use chamois cream on longer rides, but from now on I will use it every time. I am big man at 6' 250 and when that weight comes off around June it also takes some of the pressure off the soft tissue area. Time to ride.......
The Terry Fly is the only saddle to give me a saddle sore so bad I had to see the Doc for a snip, snip, slice, slice.

The sore aligned perfectly with the edge of the right side of the cutout. Were your sores always in the same spot? For me cutout saddles limit fore-aft movement on the saddle – you’re sorta stuck in the small sweet spot, which can cause sores on the periphery of the taint. A too-narrow cutout saddle does this even more.

·
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Moontrane said:
The Terry Fly is the only saddle to give me a saddle sore so bad I had to see the Doc for a snip, snip, slice, slice.

The sore aligned perfectly with the edge of the right side of the cutout. Were your sores always in the same spot? For me cutout saddles limit fore-aft movement on the saddle – you’re sorta stuck in the small sweet spot, which can cause sores on the periphery of the taint. A too-narrow cutout saddle does this even more.
You may have something there. For the most part the Terry Fly saddle is the most comfy sitting I've found. I've been riding road for over ten years, and this saddle sore has always cropped up the same time every year regardless of the saddle. But this is the first time I've had to have a doctor intervene, but my second year on the saddle. Like I said, this week end is R&D time as far as position goes.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
HOOKEM said:
You may have something there. For the most part the Terry Fly saddle is the most comfy sitting I've found. I've been riding road for over ten years, and this saddle sore has always cropped up the same time every year regardless of the saddle. .....
Interesting thread.

I've also ridden Terry Fly saddles for many, many years but always got a crotch saddle sore in the summer when it was hot. Even using different chamois cremes.

Last fall I got a Specialized Toupe Gel saddle (143 width) and the first thing I noticed was the front half was not as wide as the Terry. The back of the new saddle fit my sit bones perfectly. I also noticed more pressure on my sit bones as a result of less contact pressure in my crotch.

It took a little getting used to, but the Toupe saddle is working. Had an 82 mile ride yesterday wearing tights that didn't have the cushiest padding, and didn't develop a serious rear end pain.

I still have a Terry saddle on my Sunday (recovery day) bike and will probably not change it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts