Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys do about the guy that never has spares/tubes/air, etc? I have a friend or two that always show up happy go lucky. Problem is they usually are happy go lucky about maintenance and more specifically having air in their tires in the first place. I'm getting tired of providing spares, epecially since one particular friend never seems to remember that those tubes and co2 cost money.

I've made comments on needing to be prepared and having spares, but its not sinking in....

· Registered
167 Posts
Keep in front of him. If he has a mechanical, just wait for him at the next watering hole or intersection. When he finally shows up just matter of factly say "sucks to be you". He'll get it.
I'm not tring to be mean or or anything. I've been with people like that dirtriding a 1k miles into Baja.(motorcycles) It's like WTF? You just road into the middle of nowhere w/o BASIC spares or tools. And I'm riding with you. What's going to happen when I need your help?
1kmiles into Baja or 50miles from home, it just sucks.
Some people only understand the schooling of hard knocks I guess.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
You know the old saying 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.'

You're enabling him to be happy-go-lucky. Quit riding with your 'friend.' Or tell him straight up (don't just hint) he needs to take responsibility for himself and be prepared and that as long as he does that, he's welcome to ride with your group. But if he doesn't want to do that, he's not welcome.

· Registered
797 Posts
say "Dude, I don't mind help'n a brother out now and then, but all this $h!7 is starting to add up"

· Registered
96 Posts
i keep tubes for myself.. patch kits for friends..

if I do spend money on my friends bikes I continue to bug them until they pay me back whether it be $1.00 or $5.00 its money and they need to pay it back so you can restock on the supplies. If they don't pay you then just cut them off.. you gotta do it.

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
Our group has a rule that if you need a tube, you can have it, but then it must be replaced. The replacement is done at the shop that we ride from, and is left at the counter pre-paid for pick up by the rider that donated the tube. I have given several tubes to other riders on these rides, and this situation works out fine. New riders or old riders, if they flat they are told out right what the deal is. Never ever been anyone bock at this.

Most of the guys in my group carry a spare tube, so if we have multiple flats there are enough tubes to go around...

· Registered
162 Posts
Just like everyone else... good fences make for good neighbors. Get him to show you, before the ride next time, that he has what he needs, on him. If he doesn't have the tubes and tools he needs, patch kits, nothing, tell him sorry, you're not going to ride with him if he's not packing the things he needs. And turn around and go home.

Moochers rely on the willingness of other people to not make a big deal of it. That means, unfortunately, that you have to make a big deal of it, when it's a problem.

· Registered
329 Posts
Choose friends wisely.

I got tired of always being the guy to help out. Once on a club ride, I blew off from an older guy that was tinkering with another guy's bike (fixing a flat)...I was selfish and wanted to ride and was sick of helping others...so I took off knowing that they had things under control

5 miles later the club ride stopped at a point where others were going to join our group. Lo and behold the guy fixing the flat (for the other guy) rides up after pushing hard to catch up with the group. A few minutes later he fell over and died from a massive heart attack.

No real message here other than to say, if I had stopped to help, I would have had a few last words with this guy to remember other than simply recalling now that I rode off selfishly. No, I am not saying that everyone should give till it hurts, just realize and appreciate who your real friends are.

If the person is a friend, I would not be too concerned with it. OTOH if the guy is freeloading off you to the point that you feel compelled to ask total strangers on the web what to do...he probably is not a very good friend, and I ask why not find more enjoyable people to ride with? To me riding time is important...it is a time for eliminating frustrations.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Most people that I've ever ridden with have been generally prepared and willing to help. About a week ago, I was on a ride and had a flat. So I change it with the tube I carry. Just a couple miles later, I get another flat. I'm with some people I know, and they stop to wait for me to patch it.

But turns out I had a sidewall cut, and the tube had ripped and was unpatchable. So one of the guys gave me a tube and a dollar bill so I could boot the tire. Since we ride together often, he knows that next week when we ride together I will have new replacements for him.

I've also been out and had a flat only to realize that I had my MTB bag on, and therefore did not have the right size tube.

Stuff happens.

1,130 Posts
"Here, patch it."

+1

"don't give him a spare.
let him use a patch kit and he'll start bringing his own spares."

But throw a hissy fit and ride off. I mean, is it that important?

And don't give him your last spare. Just take one tube with you -- that's your insurance. He doesn't get that tube -- but you will loan him a patch.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If one of the "usual suspects" show up on a ride that's I'm on, I ask of they've "got stuff" with them. If the answer is no, I let them know that I have none to spare. Ride at your own risk. On the other hand, riders who get their second or third flat are welcome to one of my spare tubes, after they have used up their own (I let them use the one that has been patched)
Of course, if they are on one of my tubes, they are subject to all the guff I can give them for the rest of the ride. (small price to pay)

· ...?
1,481 Posts
I used to get flats all the time. then I bought Armadillo tires. problem solved.

When I first started biking about a year ago, I was kinda clueless and never prepared. After having a friend teach me how to patch a tube on the side of the road in the dark, (using his tools and patch kit) he told me to go get a patch kit and pump, and that he wasn't going to do it for me again. Im always prepared now.

· Seat's not level
19,395 Posts
We had a guy at work about 5 years ago that had a couple Merlins that he would ride to work almost every day, rain, sun or snow. He never carried a spare or anything to fix anything that might go wrong. He did however carry his cell phone and money for a cab. Every once in a while, he would mention that he had to call a cab. He never complained, because it was his choice. He knew the risks and he knew he was on his own to take care of any problems that came up.

Sadly his roommate found hid dead one morning. He had a heart condition that nobody knew about. He passed away at 27 years old. His philosophy on bikes was buy the best and ride it into the ground, then go out and get another one.

As for the selfish guy the OP rides with. When you call him for a ride, flat out tell him it's rude to expect others to cover his lazy azz. If he's a close friend, give him a saddlebag, a couple tubes and a CO2 pump for his birthday. Tell him it's his job to keep it stocked. If he's just an aquaintence, next ride just give him a few patch kits and tell him to have fun if he gets a flat because he's costing you a fortune in tubes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.