Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after starting to ride road bikes in my late 40s about six years ago and then starting to race three years ago with a few wins (a Cat 5 state RR championship thrown in there) and then upgrading to Cat 4 and getting my a$$ kicked all last season and what I think was over-training - I was pretty discouraged at the end of the season and besides a few rides here and there I've basically been off the bike for close to four months.

Now I'm back up to 200 lbs. (@ 5'9"). I actually got back on the trainer at the beginning of the week. Monday was a 45 min. zone 2 ride. Tuesday was 30 mins. easy spin, and last night I rode for an hour in mostly zone 2 but some zone 3 and a couple five minute pops into zone 4 also. Afterward the legs had that nice rubbery feeling. I liked it.

My plan this year is to just ride (around six hours per week) and not worry too much about racing. I need to get back down to fighting weight and I plan on doing it slowly and hopefully I'll be back down to around 165 by next season.

Sound good?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Now I'm back up to 200 lbs. (@ 5'9"). I'll be back down to around 165 by next season.

Sound good?
That's 99% of the battle right there. And it's all diet.

I haven't ridden my bike since the last cross race December 8th. I've gone from 165 that day to 169 this morn, at 46 yrs old. Not too bad. I'm just lifting 3 days a week and might get in an XC ski on Sundays.

It's all diet. Clean it up and don't take in so much (calories that is).

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So after starting to ride road bikes in my late 40s about six years ago and then starting to race three years ago with a few wins (a Cat 5 state RR championship thrown in there) and then upgrading to Cat 4 and getting my a$$ kicked all last season and what I think was over-training - I was pretty discouraged at the end of the season and besides a few rides here and there I've basically been off the bike for close to four months.

Now I'm back up to 200 lbs. (@ 5'9"). I actually got back on the trainer at the beginning of the week. Monday was a 45 min. zone 2 ride. Tuesday was 30 mins. easy spin, and last night I rode for an hour in mostly zone 2 but some zone 3 and a couple five minute pops into zone 4 also. Afterward the legs had that nice rubbery feeling. I liked it.

My plan this year is to just ride (around six hours per week) and not worry too much about racing. I need to get back down to fighting weight and I plan on doing it slowly and hopefully I'll be back down to around 165 by next season.

Sound good?

You must be my twin brother from another mother, that's almost my same exact story right there. Minus the State win and the inch I lack in height. :D

I've been getting some good mt bike rides in but also feel some long L2 rides would help.
Scaling back my riding time (and performance) means I have to jump on the treadmill too, in my experience. Good bang for the buck if you're able to do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
WTF- How do you expect to progress by taking 4 months off? The off season varies from person to person but 4 months?
The most I have ever been completely off the bike was this past year and that was for 3 weeks. Bottom line is if you want to race and do well , you must ride. Year round! Take a few weeks off
at the end of the season in October.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I take 3 months off of training every year, from August through October, just to mitigate the burnout. I do a few group rides, some cyclocross, but mostly it's just a bunch of JRA. This coincides with the end of our road season, cooler temperatures, and reduced sunlight, which also contributes to the overall weariness. I try not to gain too much weight, and usually fail, but this time of the year is more about me taking a mental break before the trainer season begins (Nov-Apr).

Recognizing the signs of burnout is something I'm not good at doing. I'll be riding at the top of my form one day, and a week later I'll be sucking wind off the back of the pack. I'm hoping this is the year I avoid that, by listening to my coach when I get back on the road. Sometimes I overdo it at the wrong times, and pay for it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What is this treadmill that you speak of?
I know it sucks but if you only have 30-45 minutes and want to burn the most calories possible it's probably the best bang for the buck other than running outside.

Reactions: Alex_C
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.