Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That is not a Cyclocross bike, you are in the wrong forum.

So to just round up this little love fest, if your bike has any of the following it's NOT a Cyclocross bike, you should be in the Commuter, Touring, guys who wear fluorescent Performance jackets forum or over at the 29'er forum on MTBR. And while your frame may have started out as a proper Cyclocross frame the ignominy of having this crap draped on it is too much and it needs to hide it's shame in another forum.

1. Triple crankset.
2. Fenders.
3. Disc Brakes
4. Racks
5. Flat Pedals
6. Tires larger than 34mm

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,193 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
So to just round up this little love fest, if your bike has any of the following it's NOT a Cyclocross bike, you should be in the Commuter, Touring, guys who wear fluorescent Performance jackets forum or over at the 29'er forum on MTBR. And while your frame may have started out as a proper Cyclocross frame the ignominy of having this crap draped on it is too much and it needs to hide it's shame in another forum.

1. Triple crankset.
2. Fenders.
3. Disc Brakes
4. Racks
5. Flat Pedals
What's wrong with a triple, flats, or 38mm tires?

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
I'm in total agreement, except now we have to allow discussion of what is legal, so disc brakes are in and tires >33mm are out. Word is some of the big teams/sponsors have disc equipped bikes in the works, so like it or not we'll have to accept this as part of cross.

But yes, touring bikes, commuters, mtbs and their like are better discussed in other forums and do add to the clutter around here.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
agreed too.

My commuter/touring bike is built on a CycloCross frame, but it has a triple, racks, fenders, chainguards, flat pedals and bottle cages, Marathon tyres, then it is NOT a CycloCross bike. it is a touring bike.

My Cyclocross bike has a 46/38 crankset, SPD pedals, a set of 32c challenge fango tubulars and no bottle cages. that qualifies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seriously? Wow, friendly crowd here. So, what, you have a "Cyclocross" bike that just sits in your garage during the 9 month long off-season? Take this, doosh. This is a cross bike that will be ridden 12 months/yr for the rest of its or my life, whichever comes first.

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
tamjam said:
So, what, you have a "Cyclocross" bike that just sits in your garage during the 9 month long off-season?
Close... after sitting around from January to March, I bring it out for a couple dirt road type races in the spring, then it sits for the majority of the summer until it's time to train for cross again. So not 9 months of sitting around... more like 6 :cool:

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tamjam said:
Seriously? Wow, friendly crowd here. So, what, you have a "Cyclocross" bike that just sits in your garage during the 9 month long off-season? Take this, doosh. This is a cross bike that will be ridden 12 months/yr for the rest of its or my life, whichever comes first.
You know it's not "doosh" it's douche.........douche. Nice touring bike by the way.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
OnTheRivet said:

1. Triple crankset.
2. Fenders.
3. Disc Brakes
4. Racks
5. Flat Pedals
>33 :thumbsup:

At least you could get your rules right.

It's a bike. Just ride it and enjoy it. Maybe you don't enjoy it anymore?

Without the "pack fodder" showing up on their frankenbikes, who's going to provide your prize money? More is good.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
88 rex said:
>33 :thumbsup:

At least you could get your rules right.

It's a bike. Just ride it and enjoy it. Maybe you don't enjoy it anymore?

Without the "pack fodder" showing up on their frankenbikes, who's going to provide your prize money? More is good.

I'm all for people racing on whatever...I raced half a season on my MTB when I started, what's annoying is commuter/touring/MTB people complaining that "cyclocross" bikes should be able to accommodate discs, 48mm tires etc. Also, after 15 years of racing on the road and MTB, cyclocross is the only racing I do really enjoy anymore. I like it enough to actually go out training [shudder] and I hate training.

·
Registered
126 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
You know it's not "doosh" it's douche.........douche. Nice touring bike by the way.
So the Vanilla SSCX that was Sasha's personal race bike back in 2003 and I raced on last season doesn't count either, because it had discs? Dang, and here I thought I had bought a cross bike. And the Bianchi Roger I'll probably ride this year doesn't count either? Sheesh, I guess not, since it has discs, rack, mounts, and can fit a hella-wide tire (oops, maybe I spelled "hella" wrong. Whether I did it on purpose or not, I guess I'll leave that to OTR to decide).

Last season this place was ok to hang out in, I learned a lot as a first-timer. This year, maybe not so much. It's worse than the 29er board on MTBR. And the Google Rivendell list.

By the way, I've never seen a touring bike without rear rack mounts, doosh. Learn your bike categories.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
am I weird

because I ride my cx bike year round???
and not commuting
we go out and do 'hot laps' which is basically friendly cx races or race like training

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I'm all for people racing on whatever...I raced half a season on my MTB when I started, what's annoying is commuter/touring/MTB people complaining that "cyclocross" bikes should be able to accommodate discs, 48mm tires etc. Also, after 15 years of racing on the road and MTB, cyclocross is the only racing I do really enjoy anymore. I like it enough to actually go out training [shudder] and I hate training.
there's a separate forum for racing, does that mean you should move there? forums here are not mutually exclusive.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
you are not getting OTR's point

There is nothing wrong about CycloCross frames built into touring bikes. Au Contraire, they make excellent touring bikes, lighter and faster than traditional ones.

His point is that this forum is not about touring bikes, or about commuting. There is an special forum for that

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

This forum is about Cyclocross, a well defined cycling discipline, involving off-road riding, training and racing in parcours involving grass, sand, obstacles, trails, tarmac, snow, mud.

check it out here

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp?MenuId=MTI1OTg&LangId=1

Not the same thing.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
What if my commuting is my training? And I train on my CX bike, which has discs, which are now legal, and thus my bike qualifies as CX race bike, even though I commute on it. But I group road ride it too....so maybe it's a road bike? But I've had it on single track with mountain group rides....maybe it's a mountain bike in road bike clothing? My bike seems to only confuse the hoards of grouches on this forum who can't understand it's just a bike. The market has deemed it a CX bike, and fortunately for me, now qualifies as a true UCI level CX race bike.

I think commuters should be forced to stop using canti's since they are purely a sign that you are a pseudo CX bike that is obviously in the wrong environment.

Salsa Lover, I think the point you're also missing from OTR's OP is that he has included items which are legal.......disc brakes and triple cranksets. Also, he seems to think only "real racers" are allowed to express an opinion and somehow you have to meet his magical criteria to be involved in that elite group. Personally, I think anybody who can't bunny hop a barrier shouldn't be a "real racer." That's where I draw my line in the sand.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Geeze, my gt cross bike with the bolt on seat post rear rack and road tubulars cant come out and play here? Comeone, lets not get so uptight and bent out of shape over racks and disk brakes. I enjoy seeing the different bikes here, and alot of people get double duty out of thier rigs by commuting on them during the year.

If you have been doing any kind of cross racing over the years then you would know that cross racers like to make up thier own rules and follow their own trends. Cross racing and rigs are all about fun. So if someone turns up here with a rig with a triple, disks, fat tires and a rack but wants to talk about cross racing and says they race that rig then who am i to say "no, go away"????

My first year of cross racing in 1999 was on a full squishy mtn bike. And it was some of the best, most fun times ever.

Bill

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.