Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robbie McEwen, the biggest sprint talent in the pack, and also a real biatch. Did you see the sprint? Did you see Robbie change line to squeeze Hushovd away as he was on his way past? Hope the sleazy aussie focker gets disqualified. Just so reminiscent of how Bettini pushed Cooke against the rails last year in the Giro.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
He didn't keep his line, agreed, but nothing worth of disqualification. I highly doubt if it is even worth a fine, if Thor hadn't unclipped it would have gone unnoticed.

·
Lurkaholic
347 Posts
Only rubbin'

tricycletalent said:
Robbie McEwen, the biggest sprint talent in the pack, and also a real biatch. Did you see the sprint? Did you see Robbie change line to squeeze Hushovd away as he was on his way past? Hope the sleazy aussie focker gets disqualified. Just so reminiscent of how Bettini pushed Cooke against the rails last year in the Giro.
He didn't squeeze Thor, he rubbed him, and rubbin' son, is sprintin'. :D

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
cityeast said:
He didn't squeeze Thor, he rubbed him, and rubbin' son, is sprintin'. :D
I don;t think there was even much rubbin'. Thor unclipped when Robbie was well ahead. It was NOTHING like Bettini and Cooke in Giro, or like headbutting incident with McEwen in the Tour.

I am not a big McEwen fan by any means, but that sprint was won fair and square.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
tricycletalent said:
McEwen kept a perfectly straight line from starting his sprint through the line. It just wasn't a line perpendicular to the finish, and there's no requirement that it should be. As clean a sprint as you could want.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
asgelle said:
McEwen kept a perfectly straight line from starting his sprint through the line.
a rather odd straight line, i should say. He started on one side of the dotted line, crossed the line, and then did not move further away from the line from the point that he rubbed hushovd.

that said, there was no 'squeeze' that I could see

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
coreyb said:
a rather odd straight line, i should say. He started on one side of the dotted line, crossed the line, and then did not move further away from the line from the point that he rubbed hushovd.

that said, there was no 'squeeze' that I could see
Brilliant logic! Just one comment - you assume the "dotted line" is precisely perpendicular to the finish line.
He moved over by no more than 3 feet over some 50+ yard distance. Next time you are in a bunch sprint, try to "hold your line" better than that, keeping in mind what happens to riders 5 feet behind you.

Do any of you seriously think that had McEwen "kept" whatever line you would have liked him to keep, short of stopping and going backwards, Hushovd could beat McEwen???!!!

I have to say, I am rather impressed by McEwen. I thought Boonen would surely beat him. I guess NOT!

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
55x11 said:
you assume the "dotted line" is precisely perpendicular to the finish line.
Not really, I just assume that the dotted line is relatively straight
55x11 said:
Do any of you seriously think that had McEwen "kept" whatever line you would have liked him to keep, short of stopping and going backwards, Hushovd could beat McEwen???!!!!
possibly

·
Registered
188 Posts
agree on changing of line

i saw the replay and robbie made a clear, sudden change of line, which caused thor to flatten his handlebars, thus causing his foot to come out of the peddle. i respect him for not whining about it after the race, and i agree that it was not as bad as the bettini/cooke incident. but nevertheless, mcewen did what he did and i'm guessing that it was intentional becuase he knew that someone was coming around his left shoulder.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
shabbasuraj said:
RM is a little punk.. every time i see him I wish he would fall...... karma will eventually catch up tp him.... as it always does.
Well he may very well be, but he has balls; and that's what it takes to do what the sprinters do. He's a fighter. You have to give him that. The guys he's up against have a foot in height on him. He doesn't allow that to intimidate him.

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
I get sick of the robbie is a real punk/he's a biatch comments. It so pitiful.

I've reviewed it a good few times now - I think he was fine. But we all see what we want to see right?

Good on him - I hope to see him take another stage or two and retain the green!

·
Registered
126 Posts
shabbasuraj said:
RM is a little punk.. every time i see him I wish he would fall...... karma will eventually catch up tp him.... as it always does.
Hey, the sports that include a little violence and tactics are always more fun. Would you rather they had to sprint in individual lanes like some brainless boring 100m dash?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.