Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
warning rant ahead:

I ordered a 1" threadless chorus headset from performance this week, waited all week impatiently so I could install it and go riding today (supposed to be in 50's here in long island) received package this morning (thought it would come last night) tore it open, pulled out the chorus threadless headset box, and whats this??? its alread been opened (campy seal is cut) I open the box and pull out a......used, already mounted (can see scuffs) 1" chorus threaded headset...[sarcasm] great, i'll just throw that on my bike and pretend I have a threaded fork and stem, and then pretend I couldm actually go for a ride today[/sarcasm] Instead I took an old hybrid lying around the house, rode it for a few miles, and then came home in disgust...still steaming from performance...I go to their website, they no longer list chorus headsets...(i need the chorus because of its low stack height)

I suppose it isnt the shippers fault, i mean who would expect a used threaded headset to be in a threadless box...but someone obviosly went through a lot of effort to repack (in original bag and everything) a used threaded headset in a threadless box...

email was sent and i'm awaiting performance's response as to how they are going to make this right...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I can understand your frustration & disappointment. Over the years, I've had a couple of problems with them, and they've always responded favorably. Most problems had to do with shipping. Their 2 day shipping really means 3 or 4 days, IME.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I stopped dealing with the website, they drive me nuts. I am lucky to actually have a well run Performance in the neighborhood, if I want a bigP deal I go there and they take care of it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The web page is okay for simple stuffs. My problems arise form local store inventory. I've been checking on some Performance ultralite 700C tubes to be in stock since December. While I don't make a special trip to go to the store, in about 6 visits, I've drawn a blank. Same with the CO2 12 gram cartridges in the 12 pack at $12. :( I look through the catalog and think...oh-boy goodies...trying to see them in person is :(

Speaking of CO2 cartridges...I thought they were $1 out of the bulk basket but one trip the guy told me they were $1.97.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Performance would have to have some spectacular price before I'd buy anything like a Campy part from them. Not going to happen.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update monday morning

So i got in to work this morning, had a pile of work waiting for me, took care of it and decided to dial up performance. Checked my email and saw that they responded asking me to call and giving me the directions on how to process the return.
First call: lady was extremely helpful, did not know the difference between threaded and threadless headset so asks if she could transfer me to tech....transfer goes bad, after 4 mins of being on hold, line goes dead.

Second call: waited to speak to rep, spoke to rep, asked to be transferred to tech, tech politiely obliges, not even put on hold, just promplty dropped

third call, get same lady as second time I think, successful transfer to tech!!!! Speak to tech, guy looks up part number, asks me to hold while he goes and checks. 5 mins later comes back, tells me that for some reason, both the threaded and threadless headsets have the same part number and furthermore some of them are not in their respective boxes. Asks me to send product back and include a note asking for a threadless headset. Shipping would be refunded. On to the next step.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Once I ordered Record Ergo levers and they came in a ziplock bag instead of un-openned new Campy box. I called them to complain about it and they said to return them and will send me a new set with the return shipping paid by them.... I never did follow thru as once I cooled down and inspected the lever and cables I couldn't find anything wrong with them as there were no signs of it being installed before... they were all brand new except no box.

I wanted to put the bike together for a upcoming ride so I put the levers on and I have no problem with them. I've never had any problem with my Record stuff from them before and I still can't figure out why they were in a ziplock bag though. Perhaps someone returned them w/o the orig box?

Btw some Record parts with all the Perf's discount code etc used to come out as the cheapest source I could find... (I generally get my Record & Chorus stuff from Wise and Perf... no you won't find any Campy or Record stuff in their stores... but may be now as Supergos are Performance now) It's hard to get them 20% code these days and they've tightened up considerably as far as combining codes and 20% member point etc.

Also Perf carrying Chorus components/ threaded HS etc are all new. It's happening after Perf and Supergo inventory got combined as Perf used to only carried Record components as far as Campy components are concerned until now... they've never carried Chorus or any lower Campy stuff before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont even think about email response from P. They have a standard template email. You need to call and even then it is hassle, hassle, hassle. I gave up and cancelled my order. Prices look great but not even worth the savings.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what's happening now?

After the phone debacle, i sent in the headset. sent it in USPS priority, with delivery confirmation...headset was delivered last thursday...I called yesterday to see what was the deal and they don't have the headset listedas returned. When i asked why not, she said "tech usually doesnt tell us when returned items come in, and it usually doesnt get entered into the computer." (this was the customer service lady.) Ok, so good thing I got insurance on this shipment...So this means, that a returned item was restocked (probably once again in the threadless section) without it ever going on the computer records that it was returned. the return count (since shipping) is now at 5 7 business days. and 5 business days since they received the headset.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beantownbiker said:
After the phone debacle, i sent in the headset. sent it in USPS priority, with delivery confirmation...headset was delivered last thursday...I called yesterday to see what was the deal and they don't have the headset listedas returned. When i asked why not, she said "tech usually doesnt tell us when returned items come in, and it usually doesnt get entered into the computer." (this was the customer service lady.) Ok, so good thing I got insurance on this shipment...So this means, that a returned item was restocked (probably once again in the threadless section) without it ever going on the computer records that it was returned. the return count (since shipping) is now at 5 7 business days. and 5 business days since they received the headset.

just an update:
received the headset on Wednesday this week...once again the box had been opened and the headset did not appear new (the silver finish was rather dull and with several small scratches). Rather than go through another 3 weeks needed apparently for the return process, i decided to ignore the obviously not new headset and cut my losses. Needless to say, I will probably avoid purchasing items from performance in the future.

Also, i'm pretty sure this last complaint is a campagnolo complaint (*gasp*) but the headset cap that's supposed to screw into the starnut is too big for the aluminum steerer on my ritchey comp carbon fork so I had to use a different one.

here's the timeline:
Jan 23: order headset
Jan 28 receive wrong headset
Jan 30: return Headset
Feb 2nd: Performance receives returned headset
Feb 15th: Get shipping notification from Performance
Feb 16: Item actually shipped (says postmark)
Feb 22nd: Receive another headset that is obviously not new
Feb 23rd: Install Headset, it works fine...although I'm a little surprised to find a plastic piece as part of a Chorus Headset.
Feb 23rd: give up on performance, cut my losses and vow to make it a retailer of last resort

If you'll notice, Performance took almost two weeks, or 9 business days to process my return and during those 9 business days not a single performance employee could tell me a single thing about the status of my order because "it's in tech." What does that even mean?

For comparison, during the same period I also ordered a set of mtn bike tires from a different bicycle mail order store, this one in CA, not NC. I am located in NY. The tires were supposed to be folding but the ones I received were wire so I returned them, here's that timeline:
Jan 27th: order tires
Jan 30th: tires shipped
Feb 3rd: receive tires
Feb 4th:return tires
Feb 9th: Tires arrive at retailer
Feb 9th: I get shipping notification from retailer
Feb 14th <3: Correct tires arrive, with free water bottle, retailer sent them 2 day no charge along with a note apologizing for the mix-up
Feb 17th: Retailer emails me to ensure the product I received was correct

While this service is not exactly typical it will keep me returning to the retailer for future purchases (too bad they focus on mtn bike stuff)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The reason you're all getting these parts in opened /used boxes and ziplock bags is because usually shimano and campy parts from the big box websites are gray market items. (i.e. they got stripped off of bikes they bought and sold parts seperatly).
Not that I'm giving you guys grief.. that's how I got my Avid Juicey's for my mtn bike.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
"Also, i'm pretty sure this last complaint is a campagnolo complaint (*gasp*) but the headset cap that's supposed to screw into the starnut is too big for the aluminum steerer on my ritchey comp carbon fork so I had to use a different one."

Confused here. The top cap doesn't touch the stearer tube. - TF

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TurboTurtle said:
"Also, i'm pretty sure this last complaint is a campagnolo complaint (*gasp*) but the headset cap that's supposed to screw into the starnut is too big for the aluminum steerer on my ritchey comp carbon fork so I had to use a different one."

Confused here. The top cap doesn't touch the stearer tube. - TF
on the underside of the headset cap there is a metal protrusionthat is supposed to fit inside of the steertube. This metal protrusion's diameter is greater than the internal diameter of my steertube. My camera is broken right now, but you can see it in this picture I stole from an ebay auction:

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Troy16 said:
Stop whining like a baby. you KMart shoppers who expect Tiffany level service are laughable. LOL
If you wouldnt mind, please enlighten us on where I can pay for better service (and by the way, tiffany's service is crap unless you look the part of the rich customer, I dont buy anything from them)...and it's not my lbs...

·
Registered
223 Posts
beantownbiker said:
If you wouldnt mind, please enlighten us on where I can pay for better service (and by the way, tiffany's service is crap unless you look the part of the rich customer, I dont buy anything from them)...and it's not my lbs...
Find a new LBS

·
Registered
35 Posts
beantownbiker said:
on the underside of the headset cap there is a metal protrusionthat is supposed to fit inside of the steertube.
No, TT is right. That protrusion goes inside the stem clamp but above the steerer tube. If the headset cap touches the steerer tube, you won't be able to adequately pre-tension the headset bearings. No problem with the Chorus headset.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
wavylines said:
No, TT is right. That protrusion goes inside the stem clamp but above the steerer tube. If the headset cap touches the steerer tube, you won't be able to adequately pre-tension the headset bearings. No problem with the Chorus headset.
But if I do that the stem has to be extended above the steer tube further than its top bolt. The steerer on my fork only has about 40mm showing above headset (one of the reasons I bought the chorus headset, low stack height). So if I want to use the chorus headset cap I should put a spacer on top of the stem so the bottom extrusion does not touch the steer tube?

i am actually quite experienced with threadless headsets/stems/steerers, and this is the first time i've had a headset cap that had anything besides a shallow cone shape on the bottom of the cap. I used a syntace cap i had lying around.

Could this have to do with the fact that the chorus headset is 1" and the stem is a 1 1/8" with a reducer (syntace megaforce 260). If so, it seems a bit odd to include a headset cap that would fit a 1 1/8" fork with 1" headset.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, I stand corrected. Shoulda checked the Campy manuals before replying. See the screengrab below. Campy does intend that protrusion to go inside the steerer, unlike every other threadless headset I've seen. Yep, I agree with you. Bad design.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts