Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a news blurb about drug addicts and an apparent increased number of public overdoses. The blurb wrapped up with the reporter saying "tune in after the game to find out where they're overdosing near you". Sounded exactly the same as if he was telling us the best place to watch the monarch butterfly migration or something.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
It's the sad state of our society...rampant addiction to opioid painkillers and heroin. People are ODing all the time. :(

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the sad state of our society...rampant addiction to opioid painkillers and heroin. People are ODing all the time. :(
Yeah, I understand that. It was the whole spectator sport way he reported it that was weird to me. The "tune in after the game to find out where they're overdosing near you" part.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
The American way, seems like fear is used to sell more than sex. "Should you be afraid of junkies on your doorstep? Tune in to find out!

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
The American way, seems like fear is used to sell more than sex. "Should you be afraid of junkies on your doorstep? Tune in to find out!
Geez...if you don't leave food out for them they won't hang around your home!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Just saw a news blurb about drug addicts and an apparent increased number of public overdoses. The blurb wrapped up with the reporter saying "tune in after the game to find out where they're overdosing near you". Sounded exactly the same as if he was telling us the best place to watch the monarch butterfly migration or something.
Canadian or US?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I assume US. I was watching the Alabama vs. LSU game.
well then, that explains a LOT..........(not sure , a lot of what, but a lot)

ok, it explains nothing i guess I was wondering if there were drugs in Canada too ( as I type this my wife is watching "border crossing" on netflix. You got some cute chicks as border guards.....LOL I wouldn't mind being searched by some of them. However, I am not sure what my wife sees in the show, well maybe she likes the cute guys?????

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
They're on the pedestrian ramp of the Triboro Bridge- Manhattan side. Just be careful to swerve around them.

Up next: Why do some public bathrooms use colored light bulbs? Right after these messages.......

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
This is what happens when people use a formula instead of thinking.

"Tune in after the game to find out where (something) is happening near you!" That's very common, and the "near you" is the hook to keep the big audience into local time. Think about how station management trains its employees to write these hooks, and you will see it was the result of someone doing something they had done MANY times in the past, with the same construction. It's the TV version of clickbait, basically.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
This is what happens when people use a formula instead of thinking.

"Tune in after the game to find out where (something) is happening near you!" That's very common, and the "near you" is the hook to keep the big audience into local time. Think about how station management trains its employees to write these hooks, and you will see it was the result of someone doing something they had done MANY times in the past, with the same construction. It's the TV version of clickbait, basically.
TV news does indeed follow a formula. "Murder! Mayhem! Sit through these commercials before we tell you what common household item is killing you!

"Then sit through more commercials (which feel like a relaxing mental break by now) before we tell you what you really tuned in for- the weather and sports scores!

"After all this, we'll end with a happy story about puppies being rescued from a storm drain, so you tune in again tomorrow for survival info and a happy warm feeling at the end! Don't forget to buy our sponsors' products!"

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I quit watching local news years ago. It was a combination of news that provided no benefit to the audience.

Examples

Interviews- I swear they must have screened 300 people to find the dumbest, strangest person they could talk to.
Accidents- Why is local news covering a bus crash 5 states away?
Protests-10 people protest bowhunting cow rays in the bay and it gets a prime spot on the news
Reality- Nothing in the area is covered if it sheds a negative light on any minority

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I am trying to wean myself off of clickbait now. It is going pretty good. I still read the comments about the clickbait just to know what they found in the attic after all these years or to know what deadly animal lives in almost everyone's house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.