Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new pair of Vredestein TriComps (after a two years of using only Contis!) because my LBS highly recommended them, and they made me an offer i couldn't refuse. i mounted them, and noticed that the "max pressure" is 175lbs. i used to run my Contis at about 90front/100rear, but their "max" was only 120. should i run the TriComps higher, since they have a higher "max"? does the fact that they have a higher "max" necessarily mean that they are designed to be ridden at higher pressures?

the main reason i made the switch is because i told the wrench at the shop that i didn't like how the Contis "chattered" in corners on fast descents, and he said that Contis were notorious for that. he highly recommended the TriComps, so i went with 'em. does anybody have any experience with these tires? thanks!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Are they the same size tires?

I think high max pressure is a marketing gimmick--- as if they are better tires. I can rarely think of a reason that a 23c tire needs to be above 120... and even then, maybe only on the track or some other controlled environment.

I can't imagine a front tire at 90 psi chattering... and have never heard of contis being "notorious."

soulsurfer104 said:
i just bought a new pair of Vredestein TriComps (after a two years of using only Contis!) because my LBS highly recommended them, and they made me an offer i couldn't refuse. i mounted them, and noticed that the "max pressure" is 175lbs. i used to run my Contis at about 90front/100rear, but their "max" was only 120. should i run the TriComps higher, since they have a higher "max"? does the fact that they have a higher "max" necessarily mean that they are designed to be ridden at higher pressures?

the main reason i made the switch is because i told the wrench at the shop that i didn't like how the Contis "chattered" in corners on fast descents, and he said that Contis were notorious for that. he highly recommended the TriComps, so i went with 'em. does anybody have any experience with these tires? thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have run a couple pairs of tri-comps over the last few years. You can run the high pressure (I tried and did not really like) but IMO they are best at 110 F 120 R. I found them to be very fast and corner like demons, plus they rode very well for a clincher tire. And i could usually get around 2000 miles on a set which is good for a race level tire IMO.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank for the replies! yeah, i like lower pressures in my tires. when tires are over a certain amount, they feel hard to me and like they are going to slide out in corners. when they are softer, they feel like they are "stickier" if that makes sense. and yes, they are the same size, 23c.

i'm hoping that these tires will make me happy, but even if they don't, i got 'em for $40 a piece. not so bad!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.