Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been humming and hawing about building a steel all-rounder ever since the ill-fated day I sold my Rock Lobster in favor of a S-Works E5. FF a few years and I'm on a full DA10 C'Dale CAAD9. It handles great, is definitely efficient, and get's me where I'm going on the quick...but I'm never going to race, it's beating me up on longer rides, and now that I'm trying a 45 mi RT commute, it's becoming sub-optimal.

I can't afford a custom built frameset, but I do really like the way the Surly Pacer looks and think the Kona Honky Tonk (stripped and painted) would be pretty sweet too.

I'm thinking DT shifters, Sugino Compact Cranks, polished silver post/stem/Nitto bars, IRD 11-28 9spd cassette, 105 der's, Rolls, and eventually a Tubus SS Fly Rack...

Would like to think this could be my ticket to all-day rides on the Peak to Peak, some more dirt-road exploring, and a gentler commute.

Now, will the fiance approve of building this, then selling the C'Dale...or must I put the cart after the horse...

Thoughts?

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Throw the Soma Smoothie ES in the mix if you can get it. You can also get that with large clearance carbon frame from IRD built to match, if that's your bag. Jamis makes a decent steel frame, too, but I think is only available as a complete bike.

Down tube builds are generally relatively inexpensive, depending on your wheelset. 105/Open Pro wheels aren't too pricey, and if you can do all your shopping online, you can do it pretty cheap. If you go 10 speed, you might be able to use some of your current parts, unless you want to sell the Cannondale complete.

Have fun.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
don't go by looks... think longer wb, more relaxed geo, bigger tire clearance, mounts, etc. a casseroll would work. a non-pure-racing cyclo-cross bike (e.g., cross check) might also fit the bill

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 For the Smoothie ES.

Also the SOMA DoubleCross is another good option. However if you're coming from a road racing type bike I would go with the Smoothie ES over the DoubleCross. The Smoothie ES has a more aggressive geometry (not as aggressive as a Crit bike...) but it's more aggressive than a cross our touring bike. I consider the Smoothie ES to be my "Fast and fun" bike while the DoubleCross is setup for touring and while it's still fast and fun it's not as fast and fun as the Smoothie ES!

Both are great bikes and make great all rounders!

The DoubleCross is outfitted towards fully loaded touring:
Bar End Shifters
XT Crank (44/32/22)
XTR Rear derailer
Nitto Noodle bars (love em!)
Tektro CR720 Cantis (awesome stopping power!!!)

Jared

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
YMMV but I question the value / sense of ever selling a bike - I know it means alot to you and you probably spent alot on it - but in the world of 2nd hand bikes what are you likely to get for it? - keep it in your rotation or give it to someone "worthy" who couldn't ever afford a nice ride

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
seems like as good time as any to bust out a pic of my Surly LongHaulTrucker that i've been commuting daily for the past few months on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M.J. said:
YMMV but I question the value / sense of ever selling a bike - I know it means alot to you and you probably spent alot on it - but in the world of 2nd hand bikes what are you likely to get for it? - keep it in your rotation or give it to someone "worthy" who couldn't ever afford a nice ride
In a world of unlimited funds, that would be nice...I'd like to think I could get $1500+ for the Cannondale though...

And since the new build should be somewhere around there, I might be able to justify the switch.

Of course, a new Jamis would work too and for possibly less money.

I really just want my Rock Lobster back :cryin:

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
Cervelo-er said:
I can't afford a custom built frameset, but I do really like the way the Surly Pacer looks and think the Kona Honky Tonk (stripped and painted) would be pretty sweet too.

I'm thinking DT shifters, Sugino Compact Cranks, polished silver post/stem/Nitto bars, IRD 11-28 9spd cassette, 105 der's, Rolls, and eventually a Tubus SS Fly Rack...
sounds good so far ... a no fail, no mess setup :thumbsup:

plenty frames that would suit. I'd also recommend thinking about the Salsa Casserol and there's plenty of vintage steel that could make a cool statement too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cervelo-er said:
I've been humming and hawing about building a steel all-rounder ever since the ill-fated day I sold my Rock Lobster in favor of a S-Works E5. FF a few years and I'm on a full DA10 C'Dale CAAD9. It handles great, is definitely efficient, and get's me where I'm going on the quick...but I'm never going to race, it's beating me up on longer rides, and now that I'm trying a 45 mi RT commute, it's becoming sub-optimal.

Would like to think this could be my ticket to all-day rides on the Peak to Peak, some more dirt-road exploring, and a gentler commute.

Now, will the fiance approve of building this, then selling the C'Dale...or must I put the cart after the horse...

Thoughts?

My first thought was that with a 45 mile, round trip commute I'd want something that's as fast as possible to get to work as quickly as possible. Of course, I'm also never ever willing to give up being comfortable for speed! :) Fortunately, I've found that with modern carbon fiber frames, and a decent amount of cash, I don't have to choose between the 2. If you're looking for comfort then speed, a lot of bike manufacturers nowadays makes bikes that do that. Specialized makes the Roubaix, Orbea makes a bike that I thought was even more comfy (though I felt a little less crisp of handling), and I know Trek makes a bike that's the same thing. They're all full road bikes that are designed to be a comfortable ride first, then fast. I've tried the Specialized versions, and I thought the base $1500 was plenty comfy. At $3k, I thought it was comfy AND fast. (Though my tastes run towards fast then comfy, so I'm getting a Tarmac, their road bike which I also thought was rather comfy at $3k)

On the other hand, my second thought is that anyone who talks about "DT shifters, Sugino Compact Cranks, polished silver post/stem/Nitto bars, IRD 11-28 9spd cassette, 105 der's, Rolls, and eventually a Tubus SS Fly Rack..." probably has a whole list of "cool" components they'd like to put on their bike that won't fit in the "prebuilt, comfy bike" mold. :)

And hey, a Steel bike is totally cheaper than carbon fiber. No doubt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the search continues...the fundage is being a bit of a pushing point right now.

There's a guy locally I'm trying to contact with an IF Touring bike that looks awesome.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/772409770.html

Or I'm also considering this.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/773136859.html

With the idea of updating/refurbing the drivetrain (rings, chain, new FW), maybe some long-reach Tektros and 28c tires. It's 4130 cro-mo...which is nothing to write home about, but also not much off the Surly Pacer...and even with $200 into the drivetrain, I'd have a nice commuter and all-rounder that could take a light rack and 2-3 days worth of hostel or light-camping type touring...and with a bail-out gear for the CO steeps.

Of course the Indy Fab is the first choice...but if I got the Trek, I could prolly keep my C'Dale too...

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Hmmm... all'rounder from a guy who's used to high end road frames? Salsa or Soma.

BTW the Velo-Orange website just got some of the nicest Sugino compact cranks ever made. With polished machined chainrings. For a reasonable price.

The Rolls and the Fly rack are sweet choices. Both elegant and functional.

Why not wait a year and save enough to have Paul build you another RL? My wife's RL is a gem...

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Do you just need different tires?

I ride the Peak-to-Peak and love the Colorado dirt. I just put different fatter tires on my Gios and it's like a new bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Surly LHT

w/

King headset
Ritchie Classic bars
DA bar-end shifters
Thompson stem
King hubs
DT 1.1 wheels
Panaracer T-Serv for Messenger 700x28 tires
Paul Touring Canti brakes
Aliante Gamma saddle
Thompson seatpost
XT rear der.
XT 11-34 cassette
old LX FD
Sugino 172.5 triple w/ 24-36-48

(superb Maryland commuter and soon-to-be loaded tourer in Vermont)

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Chain said:
Here check out one of these ($700). Good for all weather commuting. This ($1,000) if you are up to going the singlespeed/fixed route.
is that a coupling on the Sojourn? that looks like a terrific commuter, comes w/ about everything u need!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.